Let the games begin...Nick's 67 sedan

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Let the games begin...Nick's 67 sedan

Post by TonyC »

That's probably a good idea, especially if you've never taken off the M/C before and don't know how old it is...and new ones aren't that much, anyway, even with refundable core charges.

You're right, the neoprene main seals are superior to the old ropes. When I was trying to diagnose the rear-main leak last time, I discovered the leak was not coming from the main seal halves, but from the sides. It's the new side seals that I have a beef with; sorry, I should've made that more clear. Where those are concerned, the old-school material (it wasn't rope, it was some other material that was hard, almost like coffee-cup ceramic) that expands when oil touches it was a better idea. But yes, I just left those drive pins off, used a lot of black silicone, and ba-bing, no more rear-main leak. It still surprises me how dry the bottom is now whenever I put Frankenstein on a lift.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

New masters didn’t USE to be that expensive, but they are climbing, especially if you want a new one with a lifetime warranty, as opposed to a “remanufactured” one. I had to order a new one (of course) since they didn’t have one in stock. Sourced mine from NAPA. It ran $76-ish with the tax.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Thought I would provide an update on what I've been doing on my sedan.

Last fall, I installed the factory vacuum trunk release.

Didn't do a whole lot over winter. Once it gets cold out, I lose motivation. I did take the front carpet out and have a replacement heel pad sewn in (old one was dryrotten and crumbling). It was fun maneuvering and bending the carpet every which direction to get it out with only the front seat loosened, rather than removed.

Also had to replace the brake mastery cylinder since the old one was trashed.

My big winter project was the manual A/C to ATC retrofit. It was a fun project to track down all of the parts that aren't so well documented. Project thread: https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... C+retrofit

Early spring I pulled the roof rail drip edge trim and re-glued my vinyl top around the edges. It doesn't look much better than it did.

As for spring projects, I realized that my expansion tank was leaking after I parked it at work and had a small puddle of coolant on the ground when I came out to go home. That, in turn, caused the most recent snowball effect. Since I took that in to have it repaired:

I acquired a set of authentic coolant hoses to install from Thunderbird Headquarters. https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... lant+hoses
Tracked down a new breather cap and installed it. https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... t=breather
Repainted the LH valve cover as the blue shade was slightly off and bugged the hell out of me.
Installed John Brewer's correct power steering reservoir filter and reservoir seal.
Tracked down all the correct horns and refurbished them: https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... inal+horns
Re-wrapped the horn wiring harness with correct asphalt coated cloth sheath
Acquired a set of correct battery cables (the negative cable isn't 100% correct for '67, but only anal retentive '67 owners would know that :D ). Action has a thread about them here. The set I got for my sedan is the same: https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... es#p403636
In the process of having my original alternator harness recovered in the original style cloth weave loom by Rhode Island Wiring. Hopefully back this week. Here are some photos of the ratty looking original before I stripped off all the old cloth and cleaned everything:
IMG_2463.jpg
IMG_2464.jpg
IMG_2465.jpg
IMG_2466.jpg
All of this also spurred another order from AMK Products for more authentic hardware for under the hood, as well.
Once I get the alternator harness back, I will put everything back together and get 'er out for a shakedown.
I still have the tilt column I am working on. At this point, I'm ready to pull the fixed column out of the car, transfer the various goodies over and re-install. Wanted to get the other things done first before I tackled the actual swap process. Tilt column thread here: https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... ilt+column

Lastly, I acquired a retrofit kit to make my battery appear authentic since real ones are going for $400. This sticker kit was available from an international seller on Ebay. Only problem is, my battery has the terminals in the wrong spot. They are supposed to be inboard, not outboard. If I turn the battery around so the terminals are inboard, then orientation of the negative and positives are backwards. Have looked high and low for a new battery with a sealed, flat top like this one and have come up empty. This battery is Carquest brand. They don't look like this anymore. Was hoping that I could have a battery recycler open up the case and swap the terminals of something like that, but no idea if that's even possible without destroying the case.
s-l1600.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Autolite-Batte ... 2749.l2649

On deck for the summer:

Re-balance tires
Install tilt column
Have small tear in headliner repaired
Pull the vacuum reservoir and give a good once over
Install original style strut rod bushings
Drive and ENJOY
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Have got two things going on that I am wondering about.

1. Hopped into the car and started it up after driving 30 miles and parking it for a couple of hours. Engaged the A/C right as I pulled away as it was hot out. The ALT light was dimly lit for about a minute or two after starting the car and then went out. Have never seen this occur before and has not repeated since. Anyone care to speculate why that may have happened or what the cause was?

2. With the A/C running beautifully, I have a small annoyance with the vent system. If I am at 1/4 throttle or more, all of the plenum positions revert to HEAT/defrost mode. Anything less than 1/4 throttle and everything blows out the dash vents like they are supposed to. Have replaced all of the vacuum lines under the hood and both check valves work. Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. I have not tested the vacuum reservoir, but suspect it may be the culprit. My door locks also only work for about 15-20 seconds after shut down. Thoughts on anything I'm missing or does the reservoir sound like it needs some love?

On a completely unrelated note, I experienced starter heat soak after replacing the original with an aftermarket. I was convinced the starter was at fault. After replacing the battery cables and battery, it is much less of a problem. Still cranks a little slower, but not like before with the crappy cables and battery that was likely ten years old. Really made a difference.
Nick
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

1) The electrical load slightly overwhelmed the charging system. If it greatly overwhelmed it the light would be fully red. That light works on current flow. Actually the lack of current flow. Typically both sides of that light have 12 volts. Two different sources of 12 volts meet each other and nothing happens. (The light is out) The light gets power from one side from the fuse box. The other side from the charging system voltage regulator. If the charging system does not put out enough voltage the light will find ground and be lit.
The AC compressor clutch draws a lot of current.
And you had just used the starter which pulled a lot out of the battery.
The alternator does not work it's best in high heat. So it took a number of seconds to get some air movement.

Assuming the charging system and battery are up for the job, connections are the next area to check. Clean and tight are the rule.

2) Yes you had demand for more vacuum than the system generated or maintained. The HVAC system defaults to defrost position lacking enough vacuum to operate the system doors.
More vacuum is generated at 1/4 throttle or less
The reservoir was installed to hold vacuum long enough for system operation during times of low engine vacuum
Leaks and the check valves are areas to look at.
If check valves have been replaced do test them and test the reservoir too.

With door locks only working for a few seconds after vehicle shut down, yes there is an issue.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Interesting. Never knew the ALT light has three possible illumination scenarios. I always thought it’s either ON or OFF. Didn’t know there was OFF, DIM and BRIGHT stages. Good to know that things seem to be operating properly as it was only temporary.

Really have been wanting to pull the reservoir for a while to give it a good once over as it’s the only thing I haven’t refurbished in the vacuum circuit. Guess I will have to break down and pull the damn thing out. Not the easiest access up under the fender. I smell another snowball coming...
Nick
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

LithiumCobalt wrote:Interesting. Never knew the ALT light has three possible illumination scenarios. I always thought it’s either ON or OFF. Didn’t know there was OFF, DIM and BRIGHT stages. Good to know that things seem to be operating properly as it was only temporary.

Really have been wanting to pull the reservoir for a while to give it a good once over as it’s the only thing I haven’t refurbished in the vacuum circuit. Guess I will have to break down and pull the damn thing out. Not the easiest access up under the fender. I smell another snowball coming...
As hot as the summer gets, the snow will fall.

As far as illumination of that bulb, technically there are far more than 3.
At some voltage differential the incandescent bulb will light up. I have no clue and lets just say 9 volts is a dim light. As the voltage differential increases the light will get brighter. Maybe somewhere around 11 volts of more.

>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Realized I have not gotten to some things on my list for the summer:

Re-balance tires
Install tilt column - within the next week or so
Have small tear in headliner repaired - have to leave the car, so will need to schedule

Finished up the battery cable project last night by replacing the starter cable and also bolting in cable guide. Also swapped out the strut bar bushings for original rubber. Hopefully that helps cushion the ride a bit more.

Also took my spare in and had the old tire disposed of. Will get the wheel powdercoated and a new tire put on to match the others.

For the upcoming winter:

Recondition vacuum reservoir to make it air tight
Replace window beltline rubber sweeps
Maybe swap out the RH exhaust manifold with one that has no cracks
Continue gather speed control parts and maybe finish installing
Remove some dents from peak molding
Front window relay install
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Well, ran into a little snag tonight and found more things to do. Decided to remove the driver side front wheel well to see if I could access the rag joint bolts to move my tilt column project along. That was a big fail. No further access to engine bay through the driver side unlike the passenger side. So, that means I am going to have to set my steering wheel off-center to orient the bolt downward in order to loosen it. Not ideal, but I don’t know how else to get to it. Also noticed that I likely have the original rubber fuel lines behind the wheel well shield. Looked pretty ugly, but intact. Will likely replace all of the fuel lines one of these days and will tackle that at that time.
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

It is with a bit of sadness that I announce the sale of my '67 sedan has been completed. It was sold to someone locally, so hopefully I will see it around from time to time. Not looking to acquire something else right away, but will be on standby if something perfect comes along. Put a lot of labor into the '67 and it already feels like it's been gone a long time. We are on earth just a short time and there are so many other cars I would like to own. Will be sure to stick around here and share any new finds. Thanks for all of the help over the years.
Nick
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Wow, Nick...stick around for sure. You've got lots of knowledge to share. I decided a year a go to worry less about how my 63 fared at LCOC shows and to enjoy it and maybe even wear it out before I die. Driving is what its all about. And it took me years to learn that. Wayne
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

The next Lincoln is just around the corner Nick.
Robert DeFrang
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

I will miss your posts detailing your adventures with refurbishing your '67 sedan. It was a pretty car and I hope the new owner will lavish it with the love you have. You put a lot of time, money and effort into improving the car and I hope you got a good price for it. With any luck you will find your next Lincoln and be back here soon.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Appreciate all the kind words, guys. I am sure I will be back at some point. I just love these cars too much to be without forever.
Nick