Here We Go...1967 lincoln *update*

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
northern64

Here We Go...1967 lincoln *update*

Post by northern64 »

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say hi and show my new 1967 Lincoln! I'm a recovering Galaxie addict and in a moment of weakness I bought this car on craigslist and will be picking it up later in the week.
00o0o_f2cZzJNMgEa_600x450.jpg
00x0x_hY2ICs4iRc7_600x450.jpg
00d0d_aN8NKw5wAGX_600x450.jpg
At this point my plans are to remove whats left of the top, do the bodywork and paint, put some nice wheels on it, clean up the interior, make it go, and drive it.

I paid 1,000 dollars for the car without seeing it in person.....my question would be.....what should be the first thing I look for to see if I'm screwed or not?! Is there some telltale spot on this car that should not be rusted or damaged?

Thanks from Juneau AK!

-Kelly
Last edited by northern64 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brendanw
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Here We Go...1967 lincoln

Post by brendanw »

Man, that thing has seen a hard life for sure!! You've got a ton of piece-parts to find, either here on the forum or the Usual Suspects. If there is significant rot in the radiator supports or at either end (underside) of the rockers, you're toast. If those are solid (just surface rust), then you're ok to get started. I'd start by putting it up on 4 jack stands and getting the whole undercarriage back in working order - brakes, suspension, fuel / brake lines, engine and transmission mounts, etc. And while you've got it up there, get the engine and transmission squared away - new hoses, new belts, fix all leaks and fitting connections, etc. Of course, i'm assuming it runs and shifts!!!

Good luck, and post back often!!
1968 Lincoln Continental Sedan - Black on black - 462 ci [SOLD NOV 2017]
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Rust is your worst enemy on these. Anything mechanically can be put back together but a rotten rusted mess is just not worth it by almost any stretch. Good luck. Hope you bring it back to life. '67 is my favorite year where I think all the design details were the best throughout the decade.
Last edited by LithiumCobalt on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Kelly, being new to Lincolns, may I suggest you join the LCOC? We are the largest Lincoln based club! Check out my signature or PM me for a free magazine and application. Regardless, best of luck to you with your new Lincoln and welcome!!!
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

I'd get it running and make sure it goes and stops (tranny and brakes). Makes no difference how good the body is if those are shot. Don't rebuild either until you know the rust issue is ok, but at least know that it's not frozen up and is all there.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
brendanw
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by brendanw »

LithiumCobalt wrote: '67 is my favorite year where I think all the design details were the best throughout the decade.
Yes yes, we all know your disdain for the '68!! Haha. :)

Good luck with this project and definitely post back often. Already looking forward to an update on the 'runs and drives' status!
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

brendanw wrote:
LithiumCobalt wrote: '67 is my favorite year where I think all the design details were the best throughout the decade.
Yes yes, we all know your disdain for the '68!! Haha. :)
Ah come on! :grin: No disdain here at all. Simply preference. All slabsides are beautiful cars.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
northern64

Post by northern64 »

Thanks guys! I'm picking her up Saturday morning and I should have a rust report by Monday.....or a list of parts for sale haha.....
northern64

Re: Here We Go...1967 lincoln *upadate*

Post by northern64 »

Ok,

I brought the "scarlet dancer" on home yesterday through the wind, rain, the Alaska Highway and more frost heaves then I care to remember......

I was able to bypass the starter relay, she fired right up and I was able to pull it onto the car hauler under its own power, and she even stopped when I needed it to. This made me very happy! The tags on the car haven't been renewed since 95 and I would be surprised if it has been driven since....I'm pretty busy with work so I have not had a chance to really sit down and figure out what works and what doesn't but it all seems to be there and it even has the original manual with the first buyers information on it.

The radiator core supports look great as well as the ends of the rockers on underside of the car, the wheel openings on the quarters are another story, they are in pretty bad shape and I have been advised to locate some new quarter panels.

At this point I'm going to throw her up on some jackstands, start going through the brakes, and address some things on the underside as I have been advised above, and start looking for quarter panels.......which begs the question.....are a 67's quarter panels the same as a 66?

-Kelly
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

northern64 wrote:Ok,

At this point I'm going to throw her up on some jackstands, start going through the brakes, and address some things on the underside as I have been advised above, and start looking for quarter panels.......which begs the question.....are a 67's quarter panels the same as a 66?

-Kelly
Yes the 66 and 67 rear quarter panels are the same.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
northern64

Post by northern64 »

LC67Vert wrote:
northern64 wrote:Ok,

-Kelly
Yes the 66 and 67 rear quarter panels are the same.

Thankyou Sir!
brendanw
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by brendanw »

northern64 wrote: I was able to bypass the starter relay, she fired right up
Yeah, that dang relay is almost always suspect. Check around on here for modern replacements. They are around
northern64 wrote: The radiator core supports look great as well as the ends of the rockers on underside of the car
Cool, other than the body work you mentioned, you should have something worth putting some time and money in to.
northern64 wrote: I'm going to throw her up on some jackstands, start going through the brakes, and address some things on the underside
Good man!! Too many times people worry about the quarter panels when starting, going and stopping ***safely*** should be priority #1. You'll have so much more confidence when driving around, and all the underside work doesnt really amount to that much money. More time than anything.

Good luck, and post often!
northern64

Post by northern64 »

I have found a couple of quarter panels relatively close by but they are for a 1967 convertible.......does anyone know if those babies are the same?
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Glad you saved a Suicide.

For your panel question, there are differences between 'verts and sedans back there, but the corners are the same. Keep in mind that replacing that rear fender will be more involved than on other cars, and I don't mean in finding a fender.

If the structure is indeed intact, then just about everything can be fixed. You will have to crack into the engine, for starters (look up timing gears, you'll see why). Then there's the steering system (look that up also, you'll see why).

It looks to be a heftily-equipped car; I see 6-way seat adjuster, tilt wheel, power locks, and power vents. And the vinyl covering, of course--I personally recommend not putting new vinyl on when you take the old off; just paint it black, but keep the C-pillar trim so you can keep the color combination (you'll need to keep the trim anyway-- there are holes in the body that it's secured to; and I have no love for Bondo).

Glad you went for a sedan and not a 'vert. 'Verts are just not right for folks who are new to this generation of Lincolns because they have needs all their own; sedans and coupes are easier, though that's not to say they are cake in themselves. But you have us as a second resource; your primary resource needs to be a shop manual, so buy one as soon as you can.

And of course, we can answer questions the shop manual can't, and give good tips on how to remove all the design flaws that year had. Welcome aboard.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)