1958 Premiere Landau

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Dave Rose
Frequent Contributor

1958 Premiere Landau

Post by Dave Rose »

Prior to a road trip from my home in NW Wyoming to New Mexico about a month ago, I made some phone calls to auto salvage yards in four States, trying to locate a better condition front bumper for my 59 Lincoln Capri. A guy in Rock Springs took my name and phone number on the promise he'd do some checking around. He called a few hours later. No bumper but he did find a 58 Lincoln, an entire car. I made the call and arranged to see the car in Casper, Wyoming on my trip to New Mexico. Although partially disassembled by the previous owner, it showed promise as a potential restoration project. Weeks later, I bought the car and hauled it to my home, this past Sunday. There's a rebuilt engine under the hood and it did not take much to get it running. I don't think I can post videos here, but if anyone is on facebook, check out the video I posted of the engine running and 'coming back to life' on the "58-60 Lincoln And Continental" facebook page.

There's some rust in the driver's side floorpan and trunk but I don't see any serious rust-through anywhere on the car. The car needs to be rescued and brought back to life and I'm the guy to do it.

There was some talk about a "Marilyn Monroe connection" with this car, with claims that Monroe had been photographed with this Lincoln years ago in California. The only connection I see is Monroe's dress being the same color as the champagne paint on the 58 Premiere. I told the seller (son of the deceased owner) that he had to "throw in the book as part of the deal."
0000a.jpg
The car had sat for so many years/decades? in this garage in Casper, Wyoming. Here are some photos as it was found:
000a.jpg
The windshield was removed, but there was a good clean used windshield in a shipping box in a corner of the garage. The windshield alone justified the $500 asking price for the car.
000c.jpg
The car is basically straight. The chrome, stainless and aluminum trim in good condition.
000d.jpg
I believe these are correct original miles based on what I've seen of the car.
000g.jpg
Stopping to fuel up in Casper, the car created a minor sensation with several people approaching us and asking about the car.
002b.jpg
The car in my driveway. Parts for the car and a bunch of extra parts (most from a pink 59 Lincoln) came with the car.
58-Premiere-apr18-001a.jpg
An order from Eastwood and a receipt from 2003. My guess is that the car sat untouched for at least the past 10-12 years.
58-premiere-apr18-027a.jpg
According to the owner's son, the engine had been rebuilt years ago by Auto Dynamics in Casper. It didn't take much to get it running. And with it running, I've decided this will be a restoration project.
58-Premiere-apr18-012a.jpg
1958 Lincoln Premiere Landau, 1959 Lincoln Capri Landau, 2013 Mustang GT, 2014 F150 Supercrew Ecoboost, 2010 Focus SEL
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1958 Premiere Landau

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Dave, you are my idol.
trouble
Frequent Contributor

Post by trouble »

only in America,would never happen here.well done Dave
Dave Rose
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dave Rose »

Although my 59 Capri mechanical rebuild is top priority, I can't totally ignore the 58 Premiere I recently acquired. I really want to get a driver's door on it and a windshield installed. If for no other reason than to avoid having to pull a tarp over it on the rare occasions it rains here in Wyoming. The door in primer came with the car and I presume the original suffered a bad dent. The door on the right was pulled off of my 58 Continental parts car this afternoon. Looks great, right? No, it actually suffers from bad rust damage while the primered door shell is in beautiful condition. But, I'll use the best of the parts I have and get a door on the car. And I'll have to drill the door for the correct 1958 Premiere trim (which I have) and paint the door Champagne or close to it. At this point, I'll probably use rattle can spray paint to get a reasonable match. By the way... the 58 Continental has the power vent window option. I wonder if I could install those on this car?
58-Prem-Doors-001a.jpg
1958 Lincoln Premiere Landau, 1959 Lincoln Capri Landau, 2013 Mustang GT, 2014 F150 Supercrew Ecoboost, 2010 Focus SEL
pauliep13

Post by pauliep13 »

Another great find, Dave!
-Paul

1965 LC Convertible - She's a bucket of rust right now, but I can't wait to get started on her!
Dave Rose
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dave Rose »

First test drive today. Down my driveway, turn around and come back. Transmission is smooth, no 'herky-jerky' effect. I now know it works in low and reverse. I still need to bleed air out of the brakes, they are spongy. I will proceed with restoration, although my 59 Capri is top priority right now.

I posted a short video of the test drive on both my personal facebook page and the "1958-1960 Lincoln and Continental" facebook page.
IMG_1526-may23.jpg
Dave Rose
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dave Rose »

It's funny isn't it... My wife not only approved of my buying this car but encouraged it. Now, she's saying I ought to sell it and clear out space in the shop building where it's been sitting. As she points out, "Do you really need two big old Lincolns?" She's right and what I really need to do is sell it to someone who needs a good parts car or restoration project and get to work on my 1962 Willys 4WD pickup, a project that's been neglected for a few years and needs to get finished.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The wife just wants you to focus.