Taking engine out of 1962

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Taking engine out of 1962

Post by TonyC »

The plenum should be able to come out. After all, they had two different plenum designs that year--one with air conditioning and one without. The shop manual should give the instructions on how to remove it, probably from the inside of the car.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

Hey Tony I have the repair manual and i didn't see anywhere how to remove it. I searched this website and saw that some people said you had to remove the dash and some pics but no actually how to remove it. Its looks like its welded in to the lower mounting brackets. I will keep looking thanks
1962 Lincoln bagged
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That's odd. There has to be a section that describes how to remove it. I'm not sure how the '62 manual is arranged, but in the '66 manual it's in Chapter 16, in the accessories part that covers ventilation.

It would involve taking the dash out, which may be covered in another chapter--15 in my book.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop. Someone here should have that experience.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

Check my book and it shows the housing but not how to remove it.It looks like its welded to the body.
1962 Lincoln bagged
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

Going through parts and now saw they sand blasted the inside of my oil pan. Is that going to be an issue? thanks
1962 Lincoln bagged
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I doubt it. Just wash it out with solvent, get rid of the sand residue.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

I didn't even realize they sand blasted the inside of my valve covers, oil pan and timing gears/chain cover. i ask them not to but just realized they did. I am just going to have them powder the out side. the interesting thing is I see some people and companies powder coat their engine parts like pan, engine and covers claiming helps oil flow better but I would be worried if it flaked off.
1962 Lincoln bagged
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I learned powdercoating is not resistant to coolant the hard way (hose slid off).

I don't think it is resistant to continuous immersion in hot oil, either.

I don't want paint particles in my oil or in my filter.
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

No fun doing all that work and something like a coolant messing it up. I told them just to powder the outside and leave the inside alone. I will clean it out like Tony said with some solvent and pressure wash it. I just hope there is no issue with it being sand blasted on the inside of those parts. It amazing when you tell them not to do things like that but it still happens and its not like you can get these parts at your local parts store.

I finished both wheel well and the bottom engine cross frame. No mater how many times I cleaned it and followed por 15 steps I got little fish eyes when I put the por 15 top coat over the por 15. I went back and forth about adding undercoating on top of the por 15 and I decided I am because how well the old undercoating protected the car from rust and it will hide a lot of the imperfection. I decided I am using wurth stone guard black because it gets great reviews and is supposed to set up hard but pliable but very durable. Has anyone used the product? I am going to put it on all the areas in the wheel area before I start putting all my powder coated suspension parts back.
IMG_0783.jpg
fish eyed no mater what I did
fish eyed no mater what I did
PITA to get this cleaned out and painted
PITA to get this cleaned out and painted
wurth undercoating
wurth undercoating
1962 Lincoln bagged
black63lincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by black63lincoln »

I use Rustoleum enamel on all my under carriage and it never fish eyes. I actually rolled most of it on. Comes out pretty smooth and is very durable. Good luck. Paint problems can be frustrating.

Todd
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

Looks nice black63. The por 15 looked great but because its not uv stable i put the por 15 top coat out of a spay can and it fished eyed. I put the wurth on and that stuff sprays out very small pattern and is vey light texture compare to the factory under coating. I used 4 cans on two front wheel wells. they both could of probably used on more can.
1962 Lincoln bagged
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

What brackets are needed when installing new ac compressor?
The original one looks like it was a york horizon mounted but the new ones look like they are vertical and have a bracket that mounts to the original brackets. I dont know if there is room for a horizontal one because I think the exhaust manifold is behind the one that came on the originals cars? My car didnt come with ac. I attached a picture of items I think I need. Thanks
what parts are needed for ac
what parts are needed for ac
1962 Lincoln bagged
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

After reading and seeing all the pictures of what work everyone has done I got a little motivated. Finally got my front wheel wells done and engine bay done. When they say all the work is in the prep they are right. PITA especially removing the under coating off in the wheel wells. If I could do it again I would of just painted like my engine bay instead of adding new undercoating. I dont have all the air tools or even an air compressor. Doing everything by hand and with power tools. Also used por 15 and eastwood 2k primer and paint. Got 2 things off my check list. Now for the next 100 things.
Attachments
engine bay before and only picture less than 2mb
engine bay before and only picture less than 2mb
engine bay after por 15 and top coat which I had to remove. Re painted with eastwood 2k primer and satin black
engine bay after por 15 and top coat which I had to remove. Re painted with eastwood 2k primer and satin black
Hours and hours removing and prepping for por 15 paint and por 15 top coat.
Hours and hours removing and prepping for por 15 paint and por 15 top coat.
Added wurth undercoating
Added wurth undercoating
1962 Lincoln bagged
black63lincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by black63lincoln »

Looks really good! Were at the same stage. lol The painless wire kit is worth every penny. You get tons of loom for 150 bucks. Im going to use the extra on my Accuair set up.
Todd
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

Your way past me because is still have all the suspicion parts to add all the new bushings and put back. i also have the whole inside to do like por 15 the floor remove the dash and I got an amican auto wire high 22 kit. comes with a lot of stuff. The good thing is this car already has all the lines and 4 link welded and installed when I bought it. They just cut conners in other areas that I having to fix. It has a bc fab 4 link kit with bags front and back with two compressors and 5gallon tank. I also have to get a trans tunnel kit and have it put in so the transmission doesnt rub when dropped. Any recommendations?
1962 Lincoln bagged