Taking engine out of 1962

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Taking engine out of 1962

Post by Newchapters »

I have been reading all the forums and appreciate all the great photos, tips and information. Also thanks to Dans for help with information and parts. I am going to be removing the engine and replacing the valve seats and all the gaskets from above the head. All the top end gaskets are junk and leaking. Cars runs great with no smoke but leaking oil at all gaskets. I decided to do this because this will allow me to paint the engine compartment and replace hard to get to items. I think I am in over my head but what better way to get to know your car. Also what the best way to get engine out. Remove bottom engine bolts, unbolts exhaust pipes from manifold and unbolt transmission from engine.
So far I have on list to do when engine is out. what else should be done. thanks for all the help. Also I am labeling all the hoses and bagging all the parts and bolts.
Shift link busing-waiting to be installed
time chain and gears- Done
all above head gaskets- waiting to be installed
valve seats- waiting to be installed
exhaust manifold gaskets= waiting to be installed
center link.drag link- waiting to be installed
oil pump-waiting to be installed
Labeling all hoses and bagging parts/ bolts. tips from you guys.
Labeling all hoses and bagging parts/ bolts. tips from you guys.
1962 Lincoln bagged
jdk64slab
Frequent Contributor

Re: Taking engine out of 1962

Post by jdk64slab »

Here is a link to a post I had back in 2010 when I asked the same thing. A lot of advice on what should be done while the engine is out. Username "ScottandStephanie" had great advice somewhere down in this thread. Hope it helps.

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 38&t=33327
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

Thanks for the information jdk. There are so many things that could be done but need time and money!
1962 Lincoln bagged
65desperado
Lincoln Maniac

Post by 65desperado »

I actually enjoyed taking the engine out, like you say it gives you great access to the engine bay to clean things up. In my case the transmission needed a full rebuild anyway. I disconnected and dropped the tranny first then took the engine out, well my wife helped me.

If you click on my signature line thread there are some pics of it coming out.
Wade
1965 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1965 Factory Five Cobra Roadster
1977 Ford F150 4x4 Shortbox, 1994 Ford F150 4x4 Shortbox, 2011 Silverado
My Thread in Member Projects
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

jdk64slab wrote:Here is a link to a post I had back in 2010 when I asked the same thing. A lot of advice on what should be done while the engine is out. Username "ScottandStephanie" had great advice somewhere down in this thread. Hope it helps.

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 38&t=33327
And take pictures of EVERYTHING. Whatever you do, you will not have enough pictures. Try to have a picture of every bolt, nut, routing, clamp, bracket, etc.
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

update. Got engine out of car and lets say that was a pain in the ass. Had to remove battery tray, horns and the starter got stuck after removing the bolts and thought it was out of way. I also forgot to support the transmission when removing the engine. I hope I didn't damage it. I have an jack supporting it right now. I am trying to figure out how to get the torque converter off so I can put the engine on the engine stand. I read threads just saying slide it off but it will not budge.
how to remove torque converter
how to remove torque converter
IMG_1543.jpg
1962 Lincoln bagged
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Torque converter is held to fly wheel by four nuts on the engine side. Then it will fall off.
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

thanks Dan Do I have to mark any thing on the fly wheel or converts referencing where it was when I took it off? This engine is a beast and scary heavy lol
1962 Lincoln bagged
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

Also what is a good bolt length for the engine stand? thanks
1962 Lincoln bagged
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Torque converter is not keyed to the flywheel in any way. You can mark it if you want just to be consistent. Take pictures. Nope, that's not enough. Take more.

Bolts should be As long as possible. You don't want that engine falling off the stand.

Stick a screwdriver into the block holes you plan on using and buy bolts long enough to fit most of the way through the stand and in without bottoming out. If they bottom out, add washers.

The engine and heads is one of the heaviest ever built for a passenger car. 750lbs or something like that. Be careful.
Newchapters
Frequent Contributor

Post by Newchapters »

Ok guys. I have been working when I have time. Found out a couple of things like don't try and put this engine on a 1000 lbs engine stand. It bent and almost broke like a Popsicle stick. they let me exchange it for a 2000 lbs engine stand. Thats holding it just fine but hard to turn. I have taken oil pan off and found no pieces of or metal in it. A lot of dirty oil. I also got the exhaust manifold off and would like to have them machined flat and powder coated black. Would the powder coat stand up to the head on the manifolds? I found that the is a small crack where the black on the exhaust manifold meet. Will that cause and issue? I also got the torque converter off and fly wheel. What are the recordation to do with these items. I will keep update of my slow progress and if anyone have recommendation my ears are open.
Torque converter does it need anything done to it?
Exhaust manifolds can the be powder coated and should they be machined flat?
Does the rust have to be cleaning off the flywheel and is it worth painting? what to look for on them?
I am going to remove my distributor. should I have the engine top dead center when doing this and is there away to mark it for easy reinstall?
I am going to redo the head gaskets , intake and exhaust valves, push rods, valve springs, valve lifters and valve seats anything else while I am in there. Going to clean all the oil off block and paint with engine paint.
what are the little small circle with a bolt in them. Are they freeze plugs or engine plugs?
Also where to go to get water pump rebuilt
where to goto get power steering rebuilt
as you can see exhaust valves are very dirty and engine block  is a 50 year old mess. are those engine freeze plugs on side of engine with bolt in it. Can they be replace
as you can see exhaust valves are very dirty and engine block is a 50 year old mess. are those engine freeze plugs on side of engine with bolt in it. Can they be replace
Pictures of how flywheel comes off instates.
Pictures of how flywheel comes off instates.
Rotating torque converter to get to bolts on bottom to remove it. Wimpy engine stand in the back ground.
Rotating torque converter to get to bolts on bottom to remove it. Wimpy engine stand in the back ground.
old oil pump. I have new high output Do I need anything else for the high out put when changing over or can I use same rod
old oil pump. I have new high output Do I need anything else for the high out put when changing over or can I use same rod
Dirty exhaust valve going to replace all the valve. Is it worth it?
Dirty exhaust valve going to replace all the valve. Is it worth it?
Hair line crack on exhaust bracket on black will it cause and issue.
Hair line crack on exhaust bracket on black will it cause and issue.
1962 Lincoln bagged
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

Replace all freeze plugs. With the heads off and freeze plugs out you'll have a great opportunity to clean up the galleries. Expect to find coolant still trapped in the block.

Chase the threads for the block coolant drain with a tap while the engine is out.

Machine exhaust manifolds, use new studs and brass or copper nuts. That crack doesn't look fatal to me. Probably close enough to impossible to weld that you're better off leaving it alone. The nuts and studs do not use very high torque so I doubt that ear will break during reassembly. Cast iron cracks are not trivial to weld. Definitely do not let anyone who has never done it before use your hardware to learn. If they've done it before then they'll know that only someone who literally has X-ray vision can predict how the repair will go because you cannot see the stress risers or micro fractures. So since that is not a gas sealing area my vote would be to leave it the hell alone.

Carefully check the exhaust manifolds themselves though. Mine had cracks that were not really visible until after they'd been blasted clean. Fortunately you can get new ones.

Regular powder coat will not survive on the exhaust manifolds, but the ceramic powder coat will. I have black ceramic powder coat on my exhaust manifolds and it is a semi-matte finish. It looks great. It is coated on the inside of the manifolds as well so that condensation won't cause rust seepage over time. I used regular semi-gloss black on my valley pan and intake manifold, no temperature issues there. The ceramic coating is a bit easier to scuff than regular powder coat FYI.

Keep in mind that if you fiddle with the valves you may need to get new pushrods. Keep the rods labeled/in order during disassembly so you can put them back in the exact same place.

A beefier oil pump drive shaft is available aftermarket
smeeluv
Lincoln Maniac

Post by smeeluv »

Make sure that oil pump is primed before you drop that engine back into the car! It was my biggest mistake and I ended up taking it to a shop to finish the work. I'd make sure oil is flowing through with distributor on before dropping it in, just my 2 cents.
Lee
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Newchapters wrote:Ok guys. I have been working when I have time. Found out a couple of things like don't try and put this engine on a 1000 lbs engine stand. It bent and almost broke like a Popsicle stick. they let me exchange it for a 2000 lbs engine stand.
Yup. First lesson learned is that 1000lb stands are for 400lb engines, not 750lb engines.
Thats holding it just fine but hard to turn.
It's because of the sheer weight and the lack of a decent bearing surface upon which to rotate. Normal.
I have taken oil pan off and found no pieces of or metal in it. A lot of dirty oil.
That's a good sign. The oil is typical if the car has not been running newer, modern detergent oils. Mine was clean as a whistle inside in 2006 at 90,000 miles.
I also got the exhaust manifold off and would like to have them machined flat and powder coated black. Would the powder coat stand up to the head on the manifolds?
Regular powder might not, but high temp powder will. I recommend cast iron grey instead of black for that "brand new" manifold look, but to each his own. Definitely have the mating surfaces machined.
I found that the is a small crack where the black on the exhaust manifold meet. Will that cause and issue?
Yes, it will. Broken ears are common on this head design. I recommend you replace the head unless you can find a shop that can do a repair. The iron is soft and not a very good material for welding.
I also got the torque converter off and fly wheel. What are the recordation to do with these items. I will keep update of my slow progress and if anyone have recommendation my ears are open.
Torque converter does it need anything done to it?
Now is the time to replace the TC and have the transmission completely rebuilt and gone through by a good shop you can trust. Save and clean the filter. You will not be able to find a replacement for a good price.

Check the flywheel for cracks and broken teeth. If OK, reuse it.
Exhaust manifolds can the be powder coated and should they be machined flat?
Yes and yes.
Does the rust have to be cleaning off the flywheel and is it worth painting? what to look for on them?
No and No. Cracks and broken teeth.
I am going to remove my distributor. should I have the engine top dead center when doing this and is there away to mark it for easy reinstall?
Yes and take a picture of the position of the rotor with respect to the engine and dizzy base/housing.
I am going to redo the head gaskets , intake and exhaust valves, push rods, valve springs, valve lifters and valve seats anything else while I am in there.
Flush out the cooling galleys and replace the freeze plugs and drain plug (noted above).
Going to clean all the oil off block and paint with engine paint.
what are the little small circle with a bolt in them. Are they freeze plugs or engine plugs?
Also where to go to get water pump rebuilt
where to goto get power steering rebuilt
look for a rebuilder locally. Call around.
65desperado
Lincoln Maniac

Oil Pump Screen

Post by 65desperado »

Don't forget to clean the screen on the oil pump pickup. I tried everything on mine ... soaking in gasoline, paint thinner etc and chunks of scale kept falling out. So, I gently pried around the lip to pop the screen off and then you can get in there. When you're done gently form it around again.
Wade
1965 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1965 Factory Five Cobra Roadster
1977 Ford F150 4x4 Shortbox, 1994 Ford F150 4x4 Shortbox, 2011 Silverado
My Thread in Member Projects