1973 Town Car - what did i get myself into?

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1973 Town Car - what did i get myself into?

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Chinese brake pads crumbled upon use? I'd sue someone. Seriously. (although..China. That will go nowhere.)

Yesterday, a Chinese distributor cap was such low quality, it moved all around on the distributor and was made from cheap lightweight plastic that probably wasn't temperature rated or voltage resistant. This shit from them is getting out of hand.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Good luck suing a communist chinese owned company.

Now Im dealing with another problem that my physical limitations are making it hell. I cant get one of the drums back on, the side where the brake didnt crumble (ironically)

The star wheel is back off and everything seems flush. I popped the shoes on and off to make sure the wheel cylinder was pushed in, but its nice and smooth. Its offering very little rezistance. (I popped the cap on the master, to offer that extra or less resistance) but no dice. The drum seems to catch on the top.

I pull the adjuster out and it fits in (well, duh) but Im out of options, money and strength. Ive done countless brake jobs (cars, busses, air planes) and I NEVER had this much of a hard time. This is week three of a break job....
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You're right. Can't sue a Chinese company. Might as well argue with your wife. You will always lose.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Ok...so today I had a huge win. Granted I had a lot of help, but I managed to fix something on one of my cars. After a total flop doing the plastidip on the Camaro wheels (my bum fingers smeared the paint at the end) I really needed this.

Both driver side windows were dead, and the rear left door lock actuator has been dead for 3 years coming this July 14th (gotta love keeping records).

I ordered AC Delco motors and out of curiosity a rebuild kit, ie a gear, plate and grease. All made in china of course.

The front came out ok, although the lower bolt was annoying to put back in. Hint: Put that one in first a few threads then do the other two.
We did have to turn the motor a bit until the teeth engaged properly but it wasnt hard at all, so now vent and main roll down at the speed of light :P

We did strip one of the holes. At first I thought it was the bolt, but no, the motor housing hole stripped. Luckily I had a bigger screw with enough bite to cut into the soft metal of the housing. It will hold, Im fairly sure of it.
The front motor. You can see the gear titled to one side. Its mangled bad. I didnt bother opening it because the gear was so jammed it wasnt worth it. I just put in a new motor.
The front motor. You can see the gear titled to one side. Its mangled bad. I didnt bother opening it because the gear was so jammed it wasnt worth it. I just put in a new motor.
The rear motor was sloppy and because it still spun once removed I decide to just swap the gear out. The old US made motor is still better than the chinese made one. Plus the old one had a mounting stud on the rear that bolts on in addition to the three screws around the main gear. That too worked like a charm
We had to cut through the door to reach the lower bolt on around the window motor gear. There was another hole drilled into the side for the most forward bolt. At some point it was replaced but dont ask me how they got that lower one. Maybe they bent the metal out since it wasnt straight. You can see the cut at the bottom of the door.
We had to cut through the door to reach the lower bolt on around the window motor gear. There was another hole drilled into the side for the most forward bolt. At some point it was replaced but dont ask me how they got that lower one. Maybe they bent the metal out since it wasnt straight. You can see the cut at the bottom of the door.
And then I wanted to fix the door lock actuator. I had a box of old actuators a friend of mine gave me. Only one worked, but it wasnt the right year. I think its for a 60s cars. Not sure what year but the mounting bracket was a completely different shape.
The lower one is for a different year. The top one was like the other spares, but all rusted solid.
The lower one is for a different year. The top one was like the other spares, but all rusted solid.
My dad had the idea to drill out one of the good motors and screw it in to the existing bracket from the car. I knew it wouldnt work since the metal housing of the motor is fairly thin and wouldnt handle the stress and torque of spinning.
The leftover from the drilling experiment. We had to find another way. I cant afford to spent 150 bucks for a new door lock actuator. We HAD to fix it with no cost!
The leftover from the drilling experiment. We had to find another way. I cant afford to spent 150 bucks for a new door lock actuator. We HAD to fix it with no cost!

So we noticed that the prongs of the motor werent making contact. Even more evidence of something wrong was dangling inside the motor housing, and a brief few seconds of it spinning. The windings were good so it wasnt shorted but something else kept it from working. We had to open it up and see. We pulled the crimped part at the top off the plastic connector end. Slowly we managed to get the connector completely out. My dad had to do this because my hands shake way too much. I hate it, but having help and doing something is better than doing nothing on your own.

The idea came to me to drill new holes in the housing rather than going through the old prong holes. They were too small for a good gauge wire.
The gold connectors hold the brushes. There are two copper colored springs that press the brushes against the shaft of the rotor. The red and yellow wires are new, drilled through the end connector. Next up was soldering.
The gold connectors hold the brushes. There are two copper colored springs that press the brushes against the shaft of the rotor. The red and yellow wires are new, drilled through the end connector. Next up was soldering.
Different view of the wires. The bottom part is the connector that goes to the door wiring harness.
Different view of the wires. The bottom part is the connector that goes to the door wiring harness.
You can see the springs better here. The brushes go in from the center. Theyre not in the photo because theyd be pushed out.
You can see the springs better here. The brushes go in from the center. Theyre not in the photo because theyd be pushed out.
Next up my dad soldered the wires. A simple enough job but again, hard and sometimes impossible to do with no feeling in half of your fingers.
Soldered wires to each brush connector and housing.
Soldered wires to each brush connector and housing.
Different view.
Different view.
Now the tough part. With the springs pushing the brushes towards the center to press against the rotor shaft how were we going to slide the whole thing back into the metal housing of the actuator motor? There probably is a tool, like a think needle nose with bent tips that would do the trick, but I had none. I had the crazy idea of using my hair since its long and strong, but it wasnt strong enough. I didnt have any fishing line so I found the next best thing. Some really thin wire.

We looped the wire so the inside part was pressed against, this way pushing the brushes in (towards the outer edge). Luckily we had enough hands so we could use a wire for each brush.
Hold the brushes in to make room for the shaft to slip between them.
Hold the brushes in to make room for the shaft to slip between them.
So we got the whole thing in, and then gently lifted the connector end up, just enough to allow each wire to slide out and let the brush spring against the shaft of the motor. It was tricky. I didnt want the break chunks of wire off, or breach the connectors inside or the brush brackets (the gold parts in the pictures above)

Once the wires started to move they came out nice and easy with constant force tugging on them
Getting ready to tug the wires out and let the brushes touch the center shaft and make contact
Getting ready to tug the wires out and let the brushes touch the center shaft and make contact
We crimpled the housing back as best as we can. There was a gasket there but it would be utterly useless now. So we had to improvise yet again. RTV and lots of it. It looked like a cupcake in the end. We had to cover all around the endged that once were crimped as well as the holes were prings used to be. Now we had two wires that were spliced into the old wire, this way saving the fusible link with its connector. I replaced the rubber boot with a plastic bag. It occured to me later on that the boot was there to prevent water from rain and car washes that sleeped past the window from soaking the motor. A ziplock bag and electrical tape to seal the top edged did the trick.
Crimped and ready to be RTVed and spliced.
Crimped and ready to be RTVed and spliced.
So we let it dry and bolted it back up into the car. I was glad that my hands were steady enough to do this part. The moment of truth came when I hooked up the battery again and hit the door lock switch. It WORKS. This whole jury rigged job worked. Now, the question is will it last and for how long. Will it also last in the rain and car washes. I dont see why not, but I also see all the reasons it could fail. Still, it didnt cost me a dime and it feels good to be able to lock all my doors at the flick of a switch.

Most importantly I felt like I did something. I had some really crumy medical news lately. Its new...thing of rust on cars and how we think of that...its still not sure but meh...Im using this as a motivator to get things done.

Al
navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by navguy12 »

IIRC, even the window motors in my '85 required a hole be drilled in the sheet metal to access the lowest bolt. This was the actual procedure in the shop manual......
Mike Stortini
1985 Cartier Town Car Sold 10 Nov 2013
1977 Lincoln Continental Sold 27 April 2012
Batawa Ontario
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

I can imagine. Still makes me wonder how they got them in there in the first place!
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

The car is dead...again...at this rate this car will end up on cinder blocks.

I cant seem to time it at all, its jumping all over.

Now the battery is draining for no reason so I cant even start it. Of course I had to lug all my tooks and testers out to the car before I cranked. The horn blew, heard a spark crackling and that was it. I cant tell if it was the timing light or the dwell and tack meter since its just me working on this car.

Between pain and injuries its days like this taht I know my time is running short as far as being in the car hobby...even my new car is still in the shop, and wont be right.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

I have some good news. So the batter is good. No clue as to why it was dead, then came back, try to start then dead again (as in not even a dash light)

Today was fine, so Im chalking that up to gremlins and dirty contacts on the battery. I finally managed to get the engine analyzer to work, and tuned him up just right. Low idle (425) and a good rumble.

Then the moment of truth...the drive around the block. No flat spots, no stumbles, good screaching tires from a dead stop (no foot on the brake). The car boogies now.

Tomorrow I will take him out again cold, and see how things go. I have to get my inspection done anyway so the car has a mission!

Go Black Jack!

Al
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Cancel last...

This car just will not run. It wouldnt hold its idle for more than 20 seconds before it died. Then it wouldnt start. Then it would run again, then died when put it in gear, then well, just picture utter random behavior.

I just swapped the coil, thinking it was spark related, and it started up perfectly. I was about to go out, so I put the air cleaner assembly on. The moment I did, it died...

Anyone want a free car? Just beware, it will probably burn all your money, assets, and kill you before it will run again
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Its been a while since I was on. Been feeling like oil the same age as me... :x

So, I tried to get the 73 running, and figured since it starts cold, then stalls out, and will not start when warm, its gotta be a carb issue. I picked a warm day, one where I wasnt in claw your eyeballs out pain, and set to rebuild the carb.
573.jpg
I pull it out, take it apart with no problems. It looks clean, float isnt jamming, jets all look fine. The float valve was a bit sticky but nothing fuel pressure wouldnt overcome.
574.jpg
575.jpg
but, there's a but. My hands go dead, and I drop it as I'm putting it back in one piece. I crunch the seal, mess up the mesh on those prong dealies (brain isnt working tonoght, you can see em in the picture of the upper part of the carb)

So I try to fix it up, thinking maybe it wont matter. I decide to move on to the choke, and that's when my hands do it again. I still have strength mind you, just no feeling every so often. so after I pull the bolts back, I put them back in, and tighten them, way to tight. I needed them lose to adjust the choke. I never got that far, because I sheared the bots off. At first one, which I said, eff it. Then the second. I was having a really bad day.

Anyway, I dropped it off at the guy that did the 72 carb, and he rebuit it, for 90 bucks because you can see, the carb is still good looking and clean. He put a new gasket, new float valves, the meshes, tapped out the sheared bolts, rethreaded it, put new bolts in, and a good cleaning for good measure.

So I get home, and of course the battery is dead. I charge it, and thats when the cold comes in. I may try to give it a go this weekend, but it all depeneds on my spine.

So, here are some cool pics, just to motivate myself! :P
Attachments
568.jpg
569.jpg
569.jpg (33.93 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
570.jpg
571.jpg
572.jpg
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Here I am again.

Been a really tough winter. Although winter isnt gone yet. Another fall, waiting on more surgery for my spine, and my mood has been blah. I havent sold any of my cars yet, and Im clinging onto them as one of the few things that still bring me some joy in life. I havent gotten around to getting the 73 running, although I did start old Black Jack but still suffering from the same problme. Runs 20s then dies, starts up, runs 10s then dies starts up and immediately dies, then wont start. I eliminated any fuel issues, but I may be onto something.

I think its the coil. I must have a defective batch (i bought about at the same time) and with an inline ignition light i see the light dimming as i keep starting, as if maybe heat form the current is warming it up to the point it no longer fires. I still have the original one.

Sure, its old, but on my 72, the car came with a coil replaced by the dealership in 77 (I have the receipt, aint that cool?) and went through about 4 or 5 coils including voltage regulators, until out of frustration I put the old ones back and it ran. This was way back, 7 years ago and they're still on Lorelei with no issues. So i'll try that on the 73 when Im not in so much pain.

Al
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

So I finally have some good news. I posted in the other thread, that the condenser was at fault. But, it started with fuel (ie 44% ethanol) and while I was dealing with that the condensor probably started showing signs of death. Couple that with a bad vacuum adcance (and crappy health) and you get a year long down time.

So, once the new condensor (that I got for free at the parts store where my buddy works) was in, the car started right up and strong. I needed to tune the carb, and I may still need to adjust the choke because it revs a bit high for my taste, but once warm it settled down to...

400rpm. Yeah, too low. I try to bump up the idle screw and it threaded out. Joy. Luckily I found a screw (that came from a DC10 now less) that fit in just snug. Maybe a bit too tight, but it aint moving anywhere. I was ready to button the car up, and the last thing I do is connect the vacuum advance (once I snugged the distributor once the engine cooled a bit).

I wanted to drive around the block for a test run, but no go. Car wouldnt start at all. So I pull the vacuum advance, thinking that it was running just a second ago, and it starts ok. I go back to plug the vacuum line and the moment it starts sucking on that diaphragm, it quits.

So Monday Im going to get a new vacuum advance and swap it out and once that is done...well, I can drive! Ill be able to go back to the other little issues I wanted to tackle before the fuel/carb/condensor/advance problems! :grin:

The best thing is that I managed to do it, and had a little victory! With all the surgeries I had, this was a big deal for me!

Al
navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by navguy12 »

:D
Mike Stortini
1985 Cartier Town Car Sold 10 Nov 2013
1977 Lincoln Continental Sold 27 April 2012
Batawa Ontario
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Back...but I guess this will be how often I have energy to post. I wish I could be more active but I wish I was more active with the cars.

The 73 backfired so bad that it exploded a mufller and cracked both exhaust manifolds (I havent actually looked, but I can hear em). I think the distributor is messed up, changing from retarded to advanced randomly. It still runs nice, but anything over 50 when the rpms go up, things happen, either something like an engine brake (way to advanced) to massive machine gun backfires (way to retarded).

I have to get a new distributor...but that will have to wait until I have the spare cash, and when Im feeling better. Its a simple job but standing right now is just a pain...

But Im not dead yet, and all my cars are starting and can move, so thats something.
sauceman
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by sauceman »

Check the timing chain.

cheers
Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgement.

Yugoslavia '94' , Israel/Syria '99 , Bosnia '02 , Afghanistan '08-'09

My 1977 Town Car build