1973 Town Coupe Rescued

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

1973 Town Coupe Rescued

Post by Perry Bush »

I should definitely know better by now, and actually I do - but still couldn't resist pulling this car out of the junk yard (literally) last summer. Now getting to it... It had been dropped off shortly before by a friend of the owners, and he wouldn't sell any parts off of it - had to be the whole car. I might have walked away....but they take credit cards. Made a deal and came back the following weekend.

Got it running in a couple days without too much trouble and the first obvious issue was a major crack in the RH exhaust manifold. Snapped all but one bolt getting it off, and then no way to remove the broken bits from the head with it in the car, so next the head comes off and to the machine shop. Finally found a replacement manifold and happened to have it with me when visiting Adam, the guy who does all my painting. He let me use his sanglasting cabinet to clean it up, make sure it was good. Long story short - ended up removing the other head (with the manifold this time), figuring may as well go through them while they're off. Sandblasted the intake and all related hardware, and the manifolds, air cleaner, major brackets, etc.. Wire brushed the outside of the heads. Got them all painted, and the whole pile with the car delivered to a trusted mechanic for reassembly.

Spent a few hours last weekend cleaning and painting the things that would be hard to get to once the motor was back together with all hoses, accessories, etc in the way. Stopping short of actually pulling the motor...it ran smoothly, and cylinders look great. so it's going to look a little odd I guess, with a partially restored engine bay - but thinking it's a reasonable compromise between my aversion to reinstalling dirty parts, and the snow ball effect which has turned too many fixes into years of down time!

The body has rust that will need some real work to fix, or to find good parts, but working this summer on only mechanicals, want to get it to reliable driver status first. No damage to the frame or floors - they actually look pretty nice. the interior is quite nice and maybe the thing that pushed me off the fence into buying it. It really just needs a thorough cleaning. If I decide to go that far with it, it will be repainted to a light turquoise which I think will look beautiful with the light tan interior.

Here we go again!
Attachments
IMAG0132.jpg
IMAG0110.jpg
IMAG0109.jpg
IMAG0108.jpg
IMAG0107.jpg
Drivers '70 Continental Coupe; '77 Continental Convertible; '79 CS Town Car; '78 Mark V; '77 Mark V
Projects '69 Mark III Convertible
For Sale '78 Town Car Convertible Project; '70/73 Town Coupe Project(s)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1973 Town Coupe Rescued

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Everyone should save a 70 to 74 coupe.
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Dan Szwarc wrote:Everyone should save a 70 to 74 coupe.
Yeah, and something to putter with. Ugh, I wish these dang Lincolns didn't take up so much space. I keep finding ones I want. I have 3 acres out behind a stand of trees. If only HOA's didn't frown on such use of the property.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
LCont72
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by LCont72 »

B65062 wrote: the interior is quite nice and maybe the thing that pushed me off the fence into buying it. It really just needs a thorough cleaning.
The interior is beautiful! The LC coupe' was not plentiful, and the Town Coupe' has to be rather scarce. Good save! :grin:

---Charles
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

My God Perry, how many Lincolns do you have?????? They just seem to be like rabbits around your house! :D

It's a great find and yes all coupes should all be kept alive, love seeing those pictures too.

Good job!
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Heavymetal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Heavymetal »

Cool. I love these junkyard rescue stories. Looks like it shouldn't oughtta be in a junkyard...
1974 Lincoln Continental TC
1973 Mark IV Fanatic
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1973 Mark IV Fanatic »

Good save, indeed! Those '70-'74 Coupes are special, and that one has a lot of potential. I don't see how you could have resisted.
Jim Weller 1986 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition, 1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series, 2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Any updates? Hows the reviving coming along? I thought about this car when i rescued the 73 Town Car. :grin:
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Do you still have any '76 to '79 coupes available??? I spoke to a fellow on the phone who is looking for a Coupe.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Perry Bush »

Hi Guys - progress has been slow, but I did get a set of fresh tires put on, and have collected a handful of NOS moldings and other parts. And the engine is almost back together! Bought a new Holley to put on and it's on the way. Hope to be cruising soon!

Then I'll be getting everything as clean as I can get it and put it up for sale after all. I've bitten off more than I can chew, and I'm really much more anxious to get to the '70 Coupe which I've been driving quite a bit lately and know I will keep that one.

More pics and an update when she's mobile again...

Perry
Attachments
IMAG2425.jpg
IMAG2424.jpg
Drivers '70 Continental Coupe; '77 Continental Convertible; '79 CS Town Car; '78 Mark V; '77 Mark V
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Perry Bush »

Engine is all back together and my gosh, this thing is smooth, I love it! Runs and drives out just wonderfully. Work so far includes the engine top half refresh, ALL new brakes all four corners including some lines, new Holley, alternator and regulator, tune-up, front stabilizer links, belts, hoses, all fluids. I'm keeping it!

Actually, it's gong to my son for a while. My wife's car, a 1999 Whatever, is dead. Bad cylinder, it's going away. So the 2006 Malibu Maxx ( awesome car) that we sent to school with my son is being recalled back home for mom. The boy is getting the Town Coupe instead. Will take it back with him after the winter break, by which time I will sand down the body and just hit it with some primer for now, and install a block heater (It will be outside, at the University of Minnesota).

Then, we'll see....
Attachments
IMAG3192.jpg
IMAG3191.jpg
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Wow, that came out looking outstanding. Its fun when you put a car like that on the road again, especially if it came close to the crusher. I know, my 73 feels the same way, it wants to live so much its healing itself. All the dashlights now work, and the defroster too..and i didnt do a thing to those lol
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Perry Bush »

This car is for sale. Haven't added up what I've spent yet, just getting this note out there for now in case anyone may be seriously interested. Contact me if any interest and we'll talk. pab1063@new.rr.com or 920-205-1295

What's been done:
- All fluids flushed
- Replaced cracked exhaust manifold
- Top of engine off, cleaned-up, valve stem seals, new Holley, fresh paint
- New gas tank and sending unit
- Complete brakes all around, everything new including master cylinder
- Complete tune-up; plugs, points, wires, etc
- More...
- The car seriously runs and drives like a dream. Fires up immediately even after sitting outside for days at 30 below! No smoke, no noises, no rattles / vibrations. It feels tight and smooth in all situations. Even I am surprised and impressed. It is currently my daily driver.
- Have been all over the car while on a lift and despite the outer appearance, the floors, frame, trunk are absolutely solid - no rust damage. Plenty of rust in the body, all fixable (like anything)

Needs other than the obvious cosmetics:
- drivers window door motor needs new plastic drive gear. Goes up and down but needs help
- Lights in the speedo area all just quit on me; lower dash is 100% good
- One rear arm rest base is busted
- Windshield is cracked at lower far right corner
- Washer squirters not working
- Trunk lock cover missing (I have a nice one)
- A/C not blowing cold, have not addressed this at all
- Pretty sure that's it! Everything else is in great working order; seat, other windows, original radio, heater and defroster, all lights, etc..

I have collected a ton of excellent and NOS parts, big and small. I'll have to compile the list and prices; all will be offered with the car.

I just can't handle another restoration project - need to use the space, time, and cash to progress the '70 Coupe and especially Clara the Mark III convertible.

Any interest, let me know, let's talk....

Thanks much,
Perry
continentalguy
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by continentalguy »

Perry,

What did you use to paint the valve covers and air breather? They look immaculate.
-Allan

'54 Lincoln Capri Sport Coupe, '56 Continental Mark II, '61 Lincoln Continental Convertible,
'62 Lincoln Continental Sedan, '70 Lincoln Mark III, '72 Lincoln Mark IV, '17 Lincoln MKC
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Perry Bush »

Thought I still had the can out in the garage but no... I used OLD Ford Blue in a rattle can, off the shelf from NAPA. They have Ford Blue which is a newer, lighter, shade of blue that I have seen on so many quicky paint jobs and looks really wrong (I suppose especially if you know what right looks like). The label on the cap actually said "Old Ford Blue" and from as far as I can tell is right on the money. My paint guy shot them all first with epoxy primer, and then I followed the more-thin-coats, not fewer-thick-coats rule.

Thanks! I was very happy with the result also.