Rip Van Winkle Lincoln

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Rip Van Winkle Lincoln

Post by Steve K »

See this is where skill and knowledge come in. The only kind of CAD I know about is a type of person...we have a few CADs right here on this Forum :roll:

I envy your abilities to use the computuer tools to aid in the restoration and you taking on the welding. I have watched a lot of welding in my time and think I could learn how to do it, but I wouldn't know what kind of general purpose welder to get. It wouldn't make any kind of sense for me to get several different kinds and have a lot of investment in welding equipment for the infrequent times I would use it.

I am thrilled to see this old Lincoln come back from the brink!
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
CMP-Phil
Lincoln Maniac

Post by CMP-Phil »

Hi Chad

Your comments on not knowing what type of welding equipment to buy is right on point. In the other side of my antique vehicle hobby I'm involved in restoring Military Vehicles, we have very active club in the region. One of our club activities is to run Welding Seminars. I hosted this for a number of years in my shop, the last two years I have not because the Lincoln is using up all the floor space.

Premise of the Welding Seminar- All the guys who have welding equipment bring it, last time think we had eight different units so that we have a wide range of mig welders everything to the simplest and cheapest to real professional grade equipment with equal prices. Then everybody attending can try out all the different types of equipment, one of the funny things is when you are first starting to weld you can join metal just as well with a unit that cost $200 as one that cost $2000 it takes lots of practice and instruction to really get the most out of your welding. One of the things that has happened is the guys who have outgrown the capacities of their equipment have found willing buyers from somebody who is just getting started. People also get to try out different accessories like auto darkening helmets. I'll warn anybody who welds don't try an auto darkening helmet if you don't want to buy one, once you have used one you will never be happy with a flip up shield.

Another part of the seminar is that some of the guys who weld professionally teach how to weld in different situations. Really instructive I've been welding since I was a kid at the hobby level, starting with oxy acetylene, then stick welding, then mig and then spot welding, with all that I always manage to learn something new each time one of the real welding artisans showing little tricks.

Over the last 20 years I've bought all my welding equipment from one out fit, because of the quality of the equipment and the after sales support. It is really helpful when something is not going quite right your welding, you give them a call and the person who answers the phone actually knows welding. Whats more they generally can tell you what is wrong and how to fix it. Every time I host a seminar I get them to send me a stack of catalogs and almost always somebody later buys something from them.

Cheers Phil
Philip Waterman, New Hampshire
Cosmopolitan Town Sedan - Being restored1949 Lincoln web page
My Restoration Web Page
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Thank you! Would you mind sending me a PM with their web site if they have one? Also, if a person just needed to periodically fix something what kinid would you recommend? I'll give you three examples...welding a new gate latch on a wrought iron fence, welding a railing for a pool exit, and welding a new hitch ball receiver onto a trailer.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
CMP-Phil
Lincoln Maniac

Post by CMP-Phil »

Hi All

Well back to working on door alignment, well it turned out that the broken welds were the source of misalignment. Pushed the hinge point back and tack welded it, then reinstalled the door and it was perfect.

With the help of 10ton portapower carefully positioned pushed the lower hinge pad back a little more than the 3/64 the CAD program said I needed to move it drop the front edge 1/8. The biggest problem was rigging the the push ram so that it would push the pad back squarely and then figuring out how to measure how much. Strait push was easy measured the angles of the door jam and cut some wedges, then hung the ram from the over head crane. With everything position the ram extended to just make contact, then bit of tape on the ram as measure mark and started pumping the ram and when I went just past the 1/16 plus confirmed that the broken welds were closed up.

When all was said and done the door close a thunk.

Moved the car to the other side of the shop to give better access to start on the other side rocker panels.

Cheers Phil
Philip Waterman, New Hampshire
Cosmopolitan Town Sedan - Being restored1949 Lincoln web page
My Restoration Web Page
swmddo
Frequent Contributor

Post by swmddo »

Andy, I have a '49 Cosmo, too. I love the color of yours! Do you have any references to what the interior upholstery looked like with that burgundy color or any other references as to exterior and interior colors upholstery? The "body code" on mine is 165 and the "trim" is 46. I would like to keep it the same exterior color as the original (as long as I like it!), and then try to match the upholstery with that. I am not flush enough with money to afford the $1899 book that eBay sells to identify them.

Thanks

Steve
"It's not a problem, it's a project"

Steve
Woodstock, GA
1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Town Sedan
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Steve, I happen to have a '49 color and upholstery book (didn't pay anything close to $1899 for it). Trim 46 is Blue and Rust Tweed. I can't post pics at the moment because I left my phone to computer cable at work. If you want to PM me your e-mail I can send pics from my phone, or I can post them here tomorrow. :smt006
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

What the hell? Now I can't even upload pics from my iPhone to my MacBook! :x

If anyone wants pics they'll have to send me their e-mail address so that I can mail them directly from my phone.
Not looking forward to hours on the phone with Apple technical support.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 11.15.58 AM.jpg
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Join the LCOC
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Steve, check your PMs. I need your e-mail address.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Join the LCOC
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Okay, I e-mailed the pics to Steve, and now I have them to share. I should have thought of e-mailing them to myself and then dragging them into iPhoto, which is what I've now done. So for anyone else who's interested, here are some pics.
Attachments
IMG_7065.jpg
IMG_7066.jpg
IMG_7067.jpg
IMG_7068.jpg
IMG_7069.jpg
IMG_7070.jpg
IMG_7071.jpg
IMG_7072.jpg
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director