Vanessa's Makeover - '77 Mark V

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Vanessa's Makeover - '77 Mark V

Post by Perry Bush »

Hello - Finally getting started on a "driver" restoration of my '77 Mark V, Vanessa, and thought I'd share the process here.

Background (The Story): The car was originally purchased in the Milwaukee west suburbs, for the wife. The wife passed away a few years later. The husband immediately parked the car in a shed and closed the door. It had just under 18,000 miles at the time. The car was essentially abandonded, and unfortuantely, not in a nice place. Water leaked in and there are patches of surface rust pretty much all over the top of the car. Vinyl top is toast, etc.. The husband passed away in 2008, kids sold everything including this car at an estate auction. They had it taken to a shop where the gas tank was replaced, fluids flushed. It was then driven about 100 miles north from Milwaukee near where I live. The driver's window stopped working a week later, one of the belts (original) snapped, and he decided he couldn't keep it, had no inclination to fix it up. I bought it in 2009, replaced all the belts (they were all original), and drove it straight to a friends house who lives on an old farm with several buildings. I've started it up and let it get warm, drive up and back in the barn, perhaps three times since then.

And now, I have finally moved this up to the top of the list, found a much better rental location for doing the initial tear down, and we're under way! The condition of the car is pretty much what you'd expect given her history. Tires are original and totally dry rotted. Engine compartment is very dirty, though will clean up nicely based on the few little wipe downs. Lots of work remaining there. Undercarriage frame and heavy parts have surface rust, though nothing flaky, certainly no damage done. The floors and plenty of other bits underneath are still quite clean. All will be degreased, rusty patches simply sanded and then most brush painted with POR-15. Spray can satin Rustoleum for most else. Not going at all for concourse correctness, but a thorough clean-up that will hold up to more than occasional driving.

The good: Zero rust through anywhere, nothing even close. The interior is matching Dark Cordovan leather in the standard pattern and is beautiful. Really almost no signs of wear; just needs a good cleaning. Both plastic arm rest bases are perfect, no cracks - very unusual even for low milers. Was I haven't seen much but is a problem here, is several cracks in the rectangular trim piece surrounding the pull strap ont he interior door panel. Anyone got any super nice replacements? Carpet is solid and will clean to new, same for all four original floor mats. Headliner, trim, ashtrays and control panels, sail panels, dash, instruments, arm rest pads, etc…..all superb. All brightwork is actually surprisingly nice. Bumpers are great, ALL body side moldings are mint, zero dings. Just truly small bits of pitting on the tail light bezels, top of mirrors. Driver’s window was a simple and quick motor gear replacement, cleaned and relubed mechanism, works perfectly including the vent window. Everything but the A/C works! I have R12, hoping for just a top-off.

General plans: Completely strip the body of all trim and respray in the original same (gorgeous) color. Exterior only, no need for any work in door jambs, door bottoms, trunk, hood, etc….all minty. The unique two-color pinstriping will be reproduced, very classy look - includes the hood and trunk hump as on the designer and other special edition cars. The vinyl top will not be replaced. It and all associated trim are coming off and getting repainted as a smooth vinyl-delete car. I love the look and have been wanting to do this for a while. Few left the factory that way. Will now be able to see that wonderful vanidhing of the rear quarter top edge into the C pillar. This is completely obscured with either half or full vinyl top options. Steel wheels replaced with Turbines or the forged “dish” wheels. I have a set of each and will think about this. Shiny stuff will just get cleaned, polished, waxed. A few of the items will be replaced with NOS or excellent replacements. I’ve been collecting parts starting immediately after I bought it and looking forward to seeing them shine on a car instead of take up space on the shelves! Will be doing this a couple hours here and there when I can for the next couple weeks, then will complete drivability updates before moving to the paint shop; hoses, tires, get a good start on the engine bay clean up. Then on to the paint shop where a friend will do the skilled labor, and I will be continuing grunt work on the undercarriage. I'll be cleaning and polishing trim in the meantime and ready for the painted car to come back to its current spot for reassembly.

The pictures attached were taken after day 1, this past Monday. Trailered the car to its new temporary space and started wrenching on all the easy stuff. Hoping to be driving it, all done, this fall. Here we go!

Perry
Attachments
DSC09486.JPG
DSC09478.JPG
DSC09458.JPG
DSC09459.JPG
DSC09460.JPG
DSC09462.JPG
DSC09464.JPG
DSC09471.JPG
DSC09479.JPG
DSC09472.JPG
DSC09466.JPG
DSC09476.JPG
Drivers '70 Continental Coupe; '77 Continental Convertible; '79 CS Town Car; '78 Mark V; '77 Mark V
Projects '69 Mark III Convertible
For Sale '78 Town Car Convertible Project; '70/73 Town Coupe Project(s)
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Vanessa's Makeover - '77 Mark V

Post by Perry Bush »

More pics
Attachments
DSC09455.JPG
DSC09456.JPG
DSC09457.JPG
DSC09465.JPG
DSC09476.JPG
DSC09492.JPG
DSC09461.JPG
Drivers '70 Continental Coupe; '77 Continental Convertible; '79 CS Town Car; '78 Mark V; '77 Mark V
palomar142
Lincoln Maniac

Post by palomar142 »

Perry--
Wow, what a nice ride! Great car, great pix. This is going to clean up nicely, as it's virtually new--especially interior-wise. And it doesn't look like the surface rust will pose much of a problem. Thanks for sharing the story.
--Russ
1973 Mark IV Fanatic
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1973 Mark IV Fanatic »

This car will be a real head turner when you have brought it back from its extended slumber; it looks like you are well on your way! Smart choice to be rid of the vinyl top, as the V's looked really sharp with a naked roof. I saw a burgundy red '79 Mark V not too long ago that was a vinyl top delete, and it sported factory wire wheel covers. That was a real sharp looking car. Since you have a set of the deep dish aluminum wheels, you might consider going with those on your car; those wheels and the bare top would give it a real understated look. I am looking forward to updates on your progress. May your project be trouble-free, and have fun with it!
Jim Weller 1986 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition, 1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series, 2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition.
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Perry Bush »

Thanks for the encouraging words. Yes, there's plenty of work to do, and agreed most will be fairly simple. No significant repair work needed...just bringing her back. I'm also leaning toward the dish wheels, may try out both. This will be my first slick top Mark V (7th Mark V, my favorite car) and I'm anxious to see the results! More pics after the weekend...
ekm330
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ekm330 »

Geeze, Perry, are you at the end of a LOOONNNGGG dirt road?? Just a good cleaning of the car and engine compartment will work wonders :D !

Simply stunning color combination :shock: (almost as nice as Diamond Blue :P )
coldplays
Lincoln Maniac

Post by coldplays »

great car Perry, I will be watching the restoration with great interest- some minor questions/suggestions for you

you mentioned that you are upgrading the pinstripes to include the hood and trunk? did the car originally come with the pinstripes on the hood/trunk? - if not its a great upgrade- never thought about doing that

are you painting the pinstripes on? or using coloured tape? ive seen people do both (my pinstripes are taped on)

as for your wheels have you thought about painting your aluminum turbines wheels red to match your exterior paint sort of like how the DJE's are blue? the 1980-1 signature series are a good example to follow as they are typically red coloured

thanks
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Perry Bush »

To the questions... Most certainly, the original owners lived on a long dirt road! So many things about the car validate the odometer as correct, but it won't be obvious from the engine compartment until it's been carefully washed. I'm looking forward to putting those pictures up here, based on the couple spit shined spots, it will clean up nicely. The brackets, pulleys, radiator top support, etc, however have surface rust. These will get repainted along with a number of other medium size bits, but I'm not pulling the motor, not refinishing everything...but it will look great and have no worries about taking off on a long trip.

Actually, the pics you see above are after a good exterior only wash! The paint on the top is that far gone...it's textured. That's not nearly all dust settled on top of the car, that's how the paint looks, and really the whole reason for doing this job. The rest of the car "deserves" to have this problem fixed and for it to be done well. I am lucky enough to be on the waiting list for the fellow who will do the respray. He's painted two cars for me before over the years and both consistently received praise for especially the paint, and especially from guys in the business of painting cars. Anyway, he cares, and he's talented - makes him really good!

Yes, the dual color "extra" pinstripes came with the car originally, and is defintiely painted on. The 3rd pic down from the top above is taken standing at the driver side front tire, looking down at the area just begind the grill, shows how the strips make that turn. Then they blend together running toward the windshield. I've seen a handful of standard (not Designer series) Mark V's with this pattern of pin stripes, but no clue how rare. It looks nice, or it did - and will again. I really like the idea of painting them back on. The Ditzler color codes are available so could be matched well. We'll see what that costs, but thinking that's the way to do it. The pinstripes on the '78 DJE were replaced a long time ago with tape, and it looks terrible now.

No on the colored match wheels. I did do this once with a silver MArk V that had dark blue leather interior, painted the Turbines dark blue, looked fantastic. I personally don't feel like this burgundy color (Cordovan) works on a set of Turbines. What I would seriously consider though is painting them glossy black instead of refinishing in the original silver/argent/gray color. That would look cool on just about any '70's Lincoln. Hmmmmm...

Pics below are following days 2 and 3 of light deconstruction work; got the rear quarter glass and trim out, door panels, rear interior (necessary for body side and vinyl top moldings) stripped the trunk lid (though still using the lock/latch for now. Moved everything out of the trunk, got a step ladder and crawled my big arse into the trunk for a while removing speed nuts from the trim clips. Fun! Got a good close look into the rear wells, under the carpet, etc....all pristine, exactly as new. The carpet isn't as clean as it looks in the picture above. Anyone got any tips for cleaning that thing? It's the standard carpet there now, but depending on how it looks after some cleaning effort, I may replace it with a Designer series carpet I have, still the gray color but with a nice thick shag "real" carpet. It needs a couple little pieces taped or sewn back on the upper corners, but in really nice clean shape overall....we'll see.

By far, the biggest (really,only) pain has been the smallest things. Stops me every time....the only fasteners left holding the wheel well/ body side moldings on are the little screws in the actual wheel wells. Good grief! Every time, there are several that turn right out without a thought, fewer that take a little grunt or maybe a different screw driver to bust loose, and then always....always one or two at each corner that will not turn! Have tried clamping on from behind, not enough room...I think I'm going back next time with hole drilling equipment. Any neat ideas for how else to get these things out?! These moldings are so nearly perfect, would really rather not mess them up or even over bore the hole if that's what it took. Kinda embarrassing but yeah, they're kicking my rear at the moment. This sort of issue is about the only thing that slows me down at the junk yards also. Always a way though...

I only need one more day to finish getting the headliner down, remove trim, strip vinyl, drip rails (means pulling the weather stripping out, carefully). Then will take all remaining functional pieces off at the paint shop where he'll start prepping the body while I go after the undercarriage.

Motor on,
Perry
Another
Attachments
DSC09558.JPG
DSC09556.JPG
DSC09555.JPG
DSC09554.JPG
DSC09553.JPG
DSC09552.JPG
DSC09551.JPG
dcm5652
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by dcm5652 »

Where is the code for the pin-stripes and what is the code for the two-color stripes? I have a triple Cordovan, but mine has the Romano Velour interior, and the pin-stripes are tape and a dark red and I want to redo them and would like to be correct but I like the two-color and the stripes on the hood. Thanks
3 1977 Mark V Luxury Group
2 1979 Mark V Collector Series
1 1967 Continental Coupe, (Dads car)
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Love the color! And I really think the Mark V is in my favorite top three. That is going to be a beautiful car - already is! Good luck Perry!
Rob
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Perry Bush »

Thanks, Rob! Yes, the color is amazing. I had a two tone Town Car, one of the tones was Dark Cordovan metallic and I just flat enjoyed looking at it! It almost looks like there are two different color flakes in the paint, but more likely an effect of orientation of the flakes? Don't know but I hope to be having a conversation soon about prospects for the best match possible.

Dcm, I pulled two very nice build sheets from under the seat but left them in the glove box. I'm out for the weekend moving my son back to school, but i'll grab it early next week and share what I find. The color paint codes for the pin stripes is found on the automotive mileposts web site. Trying to add a link here:

http://automotivemileposts.com/paint1977mark5.html

Perry
dcm5652
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by dcm5652 »

I meant where on the car is the pinstripe code.. Thanks
3 1977 Mark V Luxury Group
2 1979 Mark V Collector Series
1 1967 Continental Coupe, (Dads car)
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Perry Bush »

Oh - I don't know if it appears on the car? I'd assume if it's anywhere, it might be part of the trim tag data, found in the driver's door jamb. If not there, no idea. It probably is on the build sheet, but will have to wait until early next week to look mine over.
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Perry Bush »

A milestone reached today - the car is in the paint shop! Only a very small handful of bits to remove; items like the windshield trim which the painter can remove without damage. I haven't mastered this, let him do it! And functional stuff like the trunk lock door handles, etc. He also has an impact tool that will get those cursed wheel well molding screws out. Ho got one off while we stood there chatting...I need one of those.

I added a Wanted post but will mention here again that I also need a complete set of trim moldings surrounding the rear glass. See the pic, the old ones will not do since I'm not replacing the vinyl. I need a set from a car that had the full vinyl roof or the rare vinyl-delete cars. They have the exposed moldings that I now need for this car. Any help appreciated!

As we've done before, he'll get the paint stripped and primer on, then give me a call. I'll then sand and POR-15 nearly all the metal under the car, then turn it back over to him to do his magic. Got a place lined up to recreate the special painted pin stripes, Brush Brothers, not too far away. Supposed to be the best around - this will be the final finishing touch.

Now resting my aching bones waiting for that call...
Attachments
DSC09642.JPG
DSC09645.JPG
DSC09644.JPG
DSC09643.JPG
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Perry Bush »

Progress at the body shop... Anyone know how to get those drip rail moldings off? I removed these from a '79 Mark V years ago and I know there were screws holding them in place. Pull out the weather strip, remove screws holding the weather strip channel, anf then there were more screws holding the moldsing in place, both for the top piece over the door glass and for the mating front piece that runs down the a-pillar. This one is different, zero screws. But also don't see signs of clips and it's quite firmly held in place. Do these just pull off and I'm not pulling hard enough? Or are there actually posts that go through the body with fasteners, in which case the entire headliner would come out? I can do that, but thought I'd ask first!

The body panels are exactly as expected, pristine, straight, perfect, 100% rust free. Holes in the roof for the vinyl top trim clips are welded in. Next is removing the header panel, which I haven't done before. The seam between the header panel and fenders is quite snug and they have to be separated in order to be painted properly, with no danger of peeling later. Didn't get done today but we did figure out, I think, that the fenders have to come off also, or at least one of them does. The ends of the header panel have metal that "wraps around" the inner metal shape of the fenders...appears to be no way to remove it. So more disassembly - yeah!

Getting there...
Attachments
image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image005.jpg
image004.jpg
image003.jpg