1970 Mercury Marquis: Complete Restoration

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

1970 Mercury Marquis: Complete Restoration

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Web site pics are here: http://www.dannann.net/eriamjh/70mercur ... bly_1.html

I will be officially starting my 1970 Mercury Marquis Convertible frame-off restoration on October 1, 2010. It's a planned 5-year maximum project. I plan on documenting every step of the way so expect around one to two thousand pictures or more. I may write and publish a book through iBooks, too, just for shizzle.

Here's a pic of how it looked around 1998.
1970 Mercury Marquis Convertible to be restored.
1970 Mercury Marquis Convertible to be restored.
70 Mercury circa 1998 600px.jpg (47.95 KiB) Viewed 3673 times
This Mercury sold for $4,047 base price with only 1,233 made.

Today, I spent a few hours cleaning up and rearranging the garage to prepare for this project. I am soliciting any advice on how to proceed and the order to do things. Here's the items I plan on doing or not doing.

Originally, I was going to do a bone-stock restoration, but I have since changed my mind. With it's 429 two-barrel-equipped motor, it is respectable, but slightly anemic on performance. The originally-rated 320 bhp motor is going to be bumped to a target 400hp with a nice cam, 4-barrel carb, headers, 2.5" or bigger quad exhaust (two mufflers, two resonators) and some of the biggest rubber I can put on it. I am waffling on just plain moving to a 460 (with all the same upgrades). Mileage is not a problem, but it will not be loud or lopey. I'm building a sleeper not a racer.

Anything that remains will be as stock as possible. Original colors, labels, bolts, etc. Nothing chromed that wasn't originally chromed. This will help on cost.

The interior is in great shape. It has a fantastic original vinyl interior in black (an unfortunate color for a convertible - very HOT!). However, I have to replace the carpet because it is dry-rotted in the back and badly faded. My upgrade will be super-plush Lincoln-style carpet instead of the nylon-loop original style.

The trunk was originally splatter-painted. It is going to be carpetted like a Lincoln. Maybe fancier.

And upgraded stereo system will be hidden, while the original stock radio will remain.

The car is now Ford white with a white top. The top is relatively new so it will remain. The car's color will be changed. I haven't decided on the outside color but I am leaning to a gold-metalflake metallic green or a candy-apple red.

Stay tuned for my first full-blown restoration. It should be fun.
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1970 Mercury Marquis: Frame-off restoration

Post by mechatech »

I wish you luck in this endeavor. There will be times like this :smt088 and this :smt013 maybe some of this :smt030 and the temptation to do this Image It can be frustratingly enjoyable, painfully exciting, depressing, maddening, worrisome and yet there is a level of satisfaction that you can't get by just filling out a checkbook for someone else to do it.

I wish I had kept better records, if I had I would have at least had a site detailing the progress. This may help http://www.markevans.co.uk/acatalog/Workshop_Tools.html Pricey but cheap if it helps with organization. A copy of this book may help "Project Charger" http://www.amazon.ca/Project-Charger-St ... 193199322X. If you do write a book, this may give you a framework to build on. I have a copy and it came in handy at times at least with organization and process.

I'm leaning towards red because of the black interior. I don't think the green will work. For comforts sake you wouldn't consider going to cloth upholstery. I know its in good shape but given the scope of this project...

Quad exhaust, I've never heard of that before. How is it configured?

How much will you do yourself vs professionally?
1972 Lincoln Continental :smt004
See the restoration. Now... Where does this part go? :smt017 :smt013 :smt102 :smt100

My friend's blog.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Mecatech, I've been meaning to contact you. Any way I can buy/borrow your body rotisserie for this project?

Quad exhaust is a fancy name for duals with resonators.
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mechatech »

I wish I could help. It's not mine, it was custom made by the restoration shop out of square tube. If they are willing to sell it, I don't think it will break down small enough to make shipping reasonable, but I can ask.

I can get pix and measurements. Making one might be cheaper than buying.
See the restoration. Now... Where does this part go? :smt017 :smt013 :smt102 :smt100

My friend's blog.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I think I'll be looking for a rotisserie in this area. Probably can build one cheaper than buying.
coldplays
Lincoln Maniac

Post by coldplays »

awesome cant wait to see pics

one of my favourite cars is the 1969-1970 marauder, I think they are basically the same car, I not sure if they came with upgraded engines when compared to the marquis (if anyone can shed some light on the differences between a 1969-1970 marauder to a marquis other then trim let me know)

they also have a really nice set of stock rims

of course the issue being...where the heck would you find a 1969-1970 marauder for parts?
Mad Scientist
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Mad Scientist »

Sounds like an interesting project.
I agree with not keeping it bone stock, as that only impresses the purest, and you’re the only one that needs to be impressed. The 460 with the up grades you mentioned would be nice. But I would go a step further and consider putting it on a diet to lose some weight by using modern light weight starter, alternator, aluminum intake and radiator, etc.
Nothing chromed that wasn't originally chromed. This will help on cost.
Think powder-coating, way cheaper and comes in more colors.
If you stay with the black interior the red or gold would look good. Although with a black interior any color will work on the outside.

As far as a rotisserie goes I just looked in my Eastwood catalog and they have some. Prices range from $850 up to around $1600. Personally I would just buy some tubing and make one.

So good luck and let the fun begin. :grin:
My toys
56 Continental Mark II
63 Corvette
52 MG TD
89 Ford Ranger (daily driver)
00 Subaru Outback (wife’s cars)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Mad Scientist wrote:Think powder-coating, way cheaper and comes in more colors.
I powder coat stuff myself. You haven't seen my work. ;)
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

Dan Szwarc wrote:
I will be officially starting my 1970 Mercury Marquis Convertible frame-off restoration on October 1, 2010. It's a planned 5-year maximum project. I plan on documenting every step of the way so expect around one to two thousand pictures or more.

Here's the items I plan on doing or not doing.

Originally, I was going to do a bone-stock restoration, but I have since changed my mind. With it's 429 two-barrel-equipped motor, it is respectable, but slightly anemic on performance. The originally-rated 320 bhp motor is going to be bumped to a target 400hp with a nice cam, 4-barrel carb, headers, 2.5" or bigger quad exhaust (two mufflers, two resonators) and some of the biggest rubber I can put on it. I am waffling on just plain moving to a 460 (with all the same upgrades).
You have plenty of time to come to a decision regarding the engine. Being a base 429, maybe consider a stroker crank kit for 500+ inches. It may have DOVE-C heads now so that is another plus for a street engine.

There is an EFI conversion available that uses a flat throttle body (to retain origional carb appearance) using EEC-IV controls. Maybe an AOD?
Not A Current LINCOLN Owner -

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

Good luck on the Mercury project Dan. I'm looking forward to reading about your progress. Where can I see photos of its current state? I'm getting curious already! :D
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mechatech »

Dan Szwarc wrote:I think I'll be looking for a rotisserie in this area. Probably can build one cheaper than buying.
I can still get the specs of the one here if you want. Would save you of having to design one from scratch.

Let the games begin! :smt109

My friend's blog.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

KULTULZ wrote:You have plenty of time to come to a decision regarding the engine. Being a base 429, maybe consider a stroker crank kit for 500+ inches. It may have DOVE-C heads now so that is another plus for a street engine.

There is an EFI conversion available that uses a flat throttle body (to retain origional carb appearance) using EEC-IV controls. Maybe an AOD?
That I do. The motor will probbaly be last. Since I have a local body and paint man I plan on using, I'll probably do the frame and underbody first, then take it for paint and body (it needs quarters in front of the rear wheels), then do the motor, and the interior last.

I'm relatively certain it has D0VE-C heads as it is originally a 10.5:1 compression motor. I haven't looked to determine when it was built (late 1969, early 1970, etc.). I'm trying to read up on exhaust porting on this motor, but I've only found vague references to "thermactor bosses" with no real details or pictures. The urge to replace the heads with light aluminum performance heads has been considered, but no research yet.

Going with EFI and an AOD is not really high on my list. If someone could point out some instructions on how to go about this, I would definitely research it. The idea of getting even worse gas mileage is not a positive one. A fourth gear would help on any freeway trips.

One problem I have is that it has a convential rear axle. I would definitely like to upgrade to a limited slip. Considering how the pinion and RR axle seals are leaking, this make be an easier decision to make. Thankfully, there are many axle shops to choose from in the Detroit area.
KULTULZ
TLFer for Life

Post by KULTULZ »

Dan,

It has been established in the hobby (HI-PO) that it is cheaper to go with aftermarket aluminum cyl heads already assembled as they perform so much better and to bring a set of OEM cast heads up to standards (machine work) will cost more. Just a thought.

The AOD upgrade on a 460 requires an adapter which is quite costly.

So you are going to keep that shiny EDELBROCK carburetor? :D
Not A Current LINCOLN Owner -

- Just An Admirer...

MEL DIVISION 1958-1960
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

All information is welcome. This project, while not started, is only in the planning stages now. My motor plans are not cast in stone. My tranny plans are barely thought about.

I think the order of business is going to be as follows:
  1. Remove motor and trans
  2. Strip interior
  3. Remove body from frame
  4. Restore and repair frame
  5. Restore and repair underbody of body
  6. Convert or replace Axle with Limited Slip
  7. Put body back on frame
  8. Put old motor and trans back in (no updates)
  9. Have bodywork and paint done
  10. Remove motor and trans
  11. Reinstall interior and detail trunk
  12. Build motor and detail engine bay
  13. Install new exhaust and tires
  14. Drive
Just how expensive is converting an AOD to fit a 460/429? $100 adapter plate? $500? I'm not saying money is no object, but my initial research on an AOD transmission for 550hp (there was nothing between that and 350) is
$2000. A little high for my tastes, especially since the C6 it has has only 58,000 miles on it.
My problem is my Marquis is not a Mustang. It's a Ford Full-size. If I can find a site with info about how to put an AOD in that, I'll read it.

Did I mention the car has only 58,000 miles? I bought it with 35,000. It's still a baby.
Mad Scientist
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Mad Scientist »

Dan Szwarc wrote: Going with EFI and an AOD is not really high on my list. If someone could point out some instructions on how to go about this, I would definitely research it. The idea of getting even worse gas mileage is not a positive one. A fourth gear would help on any freeway trips.
Transmission wise the only thing that fits that engine is its current transmission. Anything else will require a very expensive adapter .

If you want to go with EFI you might consider the throttle body unit by FAST. It is a bit pricey but its main advantage over their competitors is not having to spend six months learning how to program the computer and then teaching it to run your engine. With their set-up as you drive the computer sniffs the exhaust and automatically programs itself.
http://www.fuelairspark.com/ezefi/default.asp

I,m using it on my MKII and so far have no complaints.
My toys
56 Continental Mark II
63 Corvette
52 MG TD
89 Ford Ranger (daily driver)
00 Subaru Outback (wife’s cars)