1977 400 gets a 4-barrel

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1977 400 gets a 4-barrel

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I drove it to work today. It has 245 miles on this tank of mixed driving. I had to blow around a bunch of cars to make a light and then a left turn and the car actually accellerated strongly as it never could before. The funny thing was that it triggered the low fuel light as it was right on the verge. My fuel gage reads low and never gets to full. I have to figure out why.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

First tank: 268 miles, 14.26mpg in mixed driving.

I don't know if this is really good or an improvement. Of note, on my trip to Columbus in the car which was two tankfuls and over 500 miles, the car averaged 14.4mpg. So this seems like an improvement.
pepsi2185
Frequent Contributor

Post by pepsi2185 »

Interesting, great work! Ist the factory like 8 and 12 mpg? This is definitely an improvement. I wonder what tweaking one could do to improve this further, Mabie dual exhaust, or possibly some type of induction? 14 is not bad, thats the same as a pickup. Your heading in the right direction, dan. :grin:
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

It's not 20... :( Closer, though.
Rob
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I just made an excel sheet charting my mileage for the past 6 years and 7600 miles. I'll post it later.
My total average fuel economy (all miles divided by all gallons) is only 12.75mpg. This last tank was 12% above that average. My best was 16.5mpg on a HUGE all freeway trip.

My typical April mileage is between 10.3 and 14.1mpg, so this is an improvement.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Here's my mileage sheet (graphic only):
Attachments
Picture 1.gif
Picture 1.gif (57.02 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
pepsi2185
Frequent Contributor

Post by pepsi2185 »

Dan,

Ive been pondering a bit about your experiment,

Is there any way to increase the atomization of the fuel with a carb? I am assuming the jets already do that, but I wonder if it can improve, fuel pressure etc. Also, would a higher spark voltage make any difference?

hypothetically, what improvements do you think forced induction would make, say 6, 7 psi. Ignoring the price tag for the moment, would higher air density bring up the compression, efficiency and fuel economy beyond slightly?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

pepsi2185 wrote:Dan,

Ive been pondering a bit about your experiment,

Is there any way to increase the atomization of the fuel with a carb? I am assuming the jets already do that, but I wonder if it can improve, fuel pressure etc. Also, would a higher spark voltage make any difference?

hypothetically, what improvements do you think forced induction would make, say 6, 7 psi. Ignoring the price tag for the moment, would higher air density bring up the compression, efficiency and fuel economy beyond slightly?
That's a discussion for another thread. There are many things one can do to "improve" things. It depends on what you want to "improve" and what your definition of improve is (and perhaps your definition of is, too).
pepsi2185
Frequent Contributor

Post by pepsi2185 »

I guess what Im getting at is, are you satisfied with the results? Do you think there is anything further you can do with the setup to make it more fuel efficient?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

pepsi2185 wrote:I guess what Im getting at is, are you satisfied with the results? Do you think there is anything further you can do with the setup to make it more fuel efficient?
I am satisfied, but not done.
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

I see twin turbos in Dan's future.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
Kuripiiritus
Occasional Visitor

Post by Kuripiiritus »

with the natural CR of 8 it's like a turbo engine from start.. only the turbos are missing :twisted:
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I'm not sure I've ever read about anyone turbocharging a 70s Ford motor, 400 or 460. It would be interesting, to say the least, and probably very doable. Not for me, though. Maybe on my 70 Mercury 429. ;)

The weather was completely unpredictable this past weekend and I have a sinus infection sapping my strength and motivation right now. The car hasn't moved since Friday when I took it to Scott's to work on his convertible (he dropped it off for a new top and interior on Saturday).

My new carb setup has breathed new life into this tired 400. While the car always ran fine and rode great, it was a bit of a dog on the road. It took it time to get going and always pinged, even with premium fuel and proper timing. This 4-bbl now gives it excellent throttle response and I haven't heard any knocking at all since the last adjustment. I am confident that staying with the 400 was the right choice (I contemplated dropping in a 460) and I will continue to work with it.

It is still a 4800lb boat. It will never get the mileage of a modern car. I just want to enjoy it. If it continues to get 15mpg, then I am still ahead power-wise. The problem is I need a long freeway trip to really test the mileage and, sadly, I have nowhere to go until September (Lancaster ENM).
dale osburn

Post by dale osburn »

Dan,
While watching your Post's, a thought occured to me about the High Volume Water Pump.

How Many Row Radiator/ or Special Built?
Also, Won't the High Volume Pump ......push the water faster.....Not allowing it to Cool?
THANK'S
Dale
Las Vegas, Nv.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

dale osburn wrote:Dan,
While watching your Post's, a thought occured to me about the High Volume Water Pump.

How Many Row Radiator/ or Special Built?
Also, Won't the High Volume Pump ......push the water faster.....Not allowing it to Cool?
THANK'S
Dale
Las Vegas, Nv.
An interesting theory that may be possible. I have noticed higher than typical temperatures on the gage (no idea what they actually are) since this upgrade. I think it may result in more even and balanced cooling, albeit at a possibly higher temperature. Weird.

Technically, the thermostat sets the minimum operating temperature. Once it opens, how long it stays open is based on cooling capacity.

My radiator is a 2-core. It has room for a 4. Since it is only 7 years old, I won't be upgrading it unless I have troubles.

I also converted to a clutch fan from a flex fan. I think this is allowing higher temps in exchange for less HP drain. The clutch appears to function properly.