1977 400 gets a 4-barrel

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1977 400 gets a 4-barrel

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I have also changed the oil, topped the tank, and put away my '77 for the winter. A new project is on deck for the cold months: bodywork and repainting of a '73 Town Car.

The car had a great summer. I put over 2700 miles on it on the new 4-barrel. I'm not getting the mileage Larry gets, but I haven't really done all I can to tune the car. It runs so much better and get the same mileage so I know I did something right.

I also had the steering gear and rag joint rebuilt and replaced the front shocks. The car turned 100,000 miles and runs great.

I have an oil leak at the back of the manifold I have to fix. I also think my thermostat is stuck open. Drives in the colder weather have caused for longer warm-up times and the temp gauge barely moves compared to the summer.
lincolnlarry
Occasional Visitor

Post by lincolnlarry »

I also put my lincoln up for the winter I put about 300 miles on it my wife put
around 2000 miles on the car

We have about 2 feet of snow now and I already am angsush to get it out next
spring

It has been getting 21 22mpg so I have no complants I never did get to check the
mileage after doing the plug test just a short test

I had the e3 plugs than went to the stock plugs and I lost like 1 to 1.5 mpg with
them

Than with the NGK Vpower I did a short 50 60 mile test and got 22 I also was able
to turn the vac advance all the wat clockwise with no ping using the ngk but never
got to do a test that way I would say about 6 degrees more timing and I am
running all prem fuel now

My base calls for 14 I have that at 16 with full vac advance now I could tell the
diff in the sound and performance increase was very noticeable now I think its time
to just drive and enjoy next summer about done tunning and fixing everything works
except my elect antenna it works but is broke in half LOL but the radio I got from
Dan is working great, I have the extra dimmer switch on the floor you can hit and
it searches for station all works well including the old 8 track player thanks again
Dan for the radio

I also got the crome strip for the right rear the guy I bought the car from told me
he found some sort of bar he was going to throw it away I asked hime to bring it
over and low and behold it was the chrome strip I needed what luck that was hey

his dad must have bought it but never put it on the carr the one on there now he
hit the side of his garage backing up and looks like wrinkled alm foil LOL

Hope you all have a good new year
hagbartd
Frequent Contributor

Post by hagbartd »

Were did you get your exhaust system from?

Regard's
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Custom bent at Master Auto in Reford, MI. They went out of business in April of this year.

In other news, the 77 was sold on May 5, 2013 to a local. Maybe I'll see it again?
hagbartd
Frequent Contributor

Post by hagbartd »

What a shame that they went out of business.

Regard's
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Yeah. They did good work, knew old cars, and were friendly and helpful. Now I need to find another local shop I like.
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

If you don't mind sharing, how much did you sell the 77 for?
Nic Sanford - Food Truck Owner / Musician / Singer / Songwriter / Producer / Internet & Media Professional / Lincoln Lover
1961 Lincoln Continental
http://www.TurtleIslandGrille.com
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I got Enough to sell it, but not enough to break even on the original purchase cost. They just don't have much value.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I’ll bump this because why not. There’s some 400 discussion going on.
jjdavidson
Occasional Visitor

Post by jjdavidson »

Dan Szwarc wrote:I’ll bump this because why not. There’s some 400 discussion going on.
bumped again, cause i didn't find this after reading this last year