My Ongoing 1968 LC Project

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
Linc68
Lincoln Maniac

My Ongoing 1968 LC Project

Post by Linc68 »

Been gone a while, I like the new forum, looks really good!

Finally got back to the Lincoln after being a youth football coach for two years, it was rewarding but it gobbles up every bit of free time :smt005

Anyway, some of these pics I posted on the old forum, so I apologize for that, I am putting all of my other "hobbies" aside and get this thing done! I want to drive it!!

WARNING PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES :smt004
Last edited by Linc68 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Norm
1968 Lincoln Continental
How hard can it be??
http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 38&t=23376
ckanderson
Lincoln Maniac

Re: My Ongoing 1968 LC Project

Post by ckanderson »

wow.........
Linc68
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Linc68 »

Just a quick update, been tearing into the suspension since fall, I updated the web site above, but here is the newest pictures:

Stuff is finally coming back from the blaster's and I have a little "paint station" set up in the garage...saving pennies where I can :smt023
Last edited by Linc68 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norm
1968 Lincoln Continental
How hard can it be??
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

Great job!!!, that car is going to be sweet when it is done, what is your time line?
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

Good to hear you're back at it. I think these two rotisserie pictures are really cool 8)
Is it going to be a show car?

1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
black63lincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by black63lincoln »

Nice Work!
Todd
Linc68
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Linc68 »

Thanks, I was "allowed" to finish the race season in my chebby, as long as I agreed to put up the race car for sale , I could get back to the Lincoln.
Seems somewhere in the "marriage manual" there is fine print about "one-project-at-a-time" :roll:

I don't intend to have a "show car" but I just can't get myself to put on rusty parts on a now rust-free body, so....I am going to end up with nice driver that can stand in local shows and be dead-nuts dependable

This forum has been priceless to troll through for reference information, I want to get the car back on the ground, and painted by year end, it's going to be a challenge to say the least, but I already rolled the cot back in the garage , going to try to do as much rebuilding, sub-assembly and cleaning up as I can and put the cash in the things like paint and body that I really cant do at home (or well).

The specific issue with this car is the roof, in order to repair it and move on the body, I have to get the car off the rotisserie, I am not as "immortal" as I once thought I was, pulled the steering box off while it was up and kept thinking to myself...use my left arm becuase if the car comes down I am a righty....

As you can see I got the hard parts for the front end mostly sorted, those big nuts on the stabilizer bars were a bear...even after getting the air tools out, I had to get "thermal' with em....I just ordered front coils from Eaton, and the front end kit from Kanter, I have the "boys in Florida" looking for coil spring isolators for me, apparently upper ones can be gotten new, lower ones have to come from NOS or used...can't wait to hear back on the price of those.... :smt010

In the mean time, I got my manuals printed out and in binders, I'll be quietly trolling the forums, and peppering it with questions :D

Norm
Norm
1968 Lincoln Continental
How hard can it be??
ckanderson
Lincoln Maniac

Post by ckanderson »

if you can send me coil dimentions energy suspention makes a ton of coil spring isolators out of polyurethane and they will last longer then the rubber ones. and be cheaper then NOS parts!
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

There's a thought! :smt115
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
Linc68
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Linc68 »

I'll take some measurements of the insulators and post em, at the moment I have another bigger problem... :smt011

When I took everything apart I labeled everything, unfortunately my marks got blasted over, next time I will use tags I think

Well, I …think…based on the document,,,, the lowers with the 3 holes should point toward the front of the car….

The uppers, the bigger “hump” should face toward the front of the car….

I could really use another set of eyes on this; I don’t want to put these on arse-backwards.

Thanks!

Please hurry I think my wife is on to me that I don’t know my left from my right!
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Linc68 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norm
1968 Lincoln Continental
How hard can it be??
ckanderson
Lincoln Maniac

Post by ckanderson »

on the lower arms the side with two holes faces the front. I can tell you the orentation of the upper arms tomarow.

On a side note, why didnt you spend the extra money for powdercoat? I understand saving money where you can but powdercoat is a one time thing, you would never have to get it redone.. Paint you will probibly be constantly touching up to make it look good.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The little hole in the lower control arm is for the stabilizer pins for the anti-sway bar. If you installed them backwards you would have found this out... the hard way.
Linc68
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Linc68 »

Thanks guys, this forum is really great.. :smt023

I had to settle for paint due to economy, since this will be my car I don't mind touching up paint, asleep in the garage on my favorite piece of cardboard, its the only room in the house that's mine, the rest of the house is a nightmare combination of Good Housekeeping and Martha Stewart :smt021 ....but i digress...the pieces are just rustproofed in those pictures, I have to prime them and paint them this week, the car will live a pretty easy life... 8)
Norm
1968 Lincoln Continental
How hard can it be??
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

In this pic, assuming wat I see is the TOP
This would be the right-hand upper control arm and the vertical red line would be in the front of the car.

Do a test fit on the frame with the upper shafts and you should see how the control arm fits around the frame mounting point. That should confirm the direction. The other way would likely interfere with the frame (yes, I know the car has no frame...)
continentalguy
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by continentalguy »

Man you are really getting into it that will be one neat 68 when it is done. Keep up the good work and posting of pictures they are fun to look at! :D
-Allan

'54 Lincoln Capri Sport Coupe, '56 Continental Mark II, '61 Lincoln Continental Convertible,
'62 Lincoln Continental Sedan, '70 Lincoln Mark III, '72 Lincoln Mark IV, '17 Lincoln MKC