I've been busy. DONE!

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
lincolnfanatic4life
No Longer With Us

Re: I've been busy. DONE!

Post by lincolnfanatic4life »

grats...

im scared to add up the hours ive put into my Linc resto. esp. if i had to try to put a $value/hour..

gotta do something like this for the love, cuz theres no way to make $$$ at it.
1968 Lincoln continental
full chrome delete
all black on 20"s
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

Congrats!

But of course it's never really done... something will soon need adjusting, replacing, repairing etc. :D
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
navguy12
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by navguy12 »

Just fantastic. I hope to make it to the rock one day and visit!!!!
Linc68
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Linc68 »

Job well done!!! :smt023
Norm
1968 Lincoln Continental
How hard can it be??
http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 38&t=23376
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mechatech »

ReijerLincoln wrote:Congrats!

But of course it's never really done... something will soon need adjusting, replacing, repairing etc. :D
Yes it never really ends. I may put in Petronix in the future, right now I'm sticking with points. My blower and power window relays are flaky and I still can't get the intermittent wipers to work. The front passenger window is slow (I think the switch is dirty) and the a/c needs recharging.

I have a couple of topics for the future. One is how I recharged my a/c and how I salvaged my rimblow horn switch (yes they can be saved)

Some things I learned and wish I knew then.

1. Know your skills and limits. :smt100 I have read of people who without any experience or even aptitude jump into a restoration. That's like jumping into the deep end of the pool without swimming lessons or even a life jacket. You will be overwhelmed! :smt088 . I was nearly swamped at times. While I knew what I could do, lack of experience didn't prepare me for just how big a project it was. :shock:

2. Space. If you think you have enough, you probably don't. I figure 1000 sq ft of open space is adequate. 200 for the car. 100 for the tools. 400 for the parts and the remainder as the work area. I had 1200 sq ft but 600 was taken up with a furnace room, stairwell, office and storage. Car parts were stored everywhere. :smt017 Which brings up the next point. :arrow:

3. Be organized (my great weakness). When you have to deal with too much clutter and multitask areas (see above) parts will get lost or broken as things constantly move around. You move stuff to do a job, then move more stuff to do another job, then move more stuff to go back to the first job. It makes it difficult to do the job properly. :smt011 If I ever did another car, I would have to put up a separate building. Image

4. Continuing the organization theme, take pictures until you are sick of using the camera and then take some more. Plastic bags and disposable food storage containers are perfect for small parts. Make good use of a marker and tape and label everything, no matter how trivial. Never rely on your memory. :smt021 Deconstruction is fast and easy. It's very tempting to railroad through and toss things into a box early on believing that you know where things will go later. :smt095

5. If you think it will take months, you are disillusioned. :smt120 If you think it will take X years, double it. :smt104 If you think it will take maybe 10 years, you're about right. :wink:

6. When you have to go to others to get work done; expect the possibility of forces beyond your control to screw with your schedule and budget. :smt075

7. Use a torque wrench, don't guess. :smt018

8. For trim, snug is a good word. :smt023

9. If something doesn't feel right going together or coming apart, then chances are you're doing it wrong. :stick:

10. The chances of breaking something is in direct proportion to it's cost and rarity. :smt013

11. There will be at least one major, gut wrenching, hand wringing disaster. :smt073

12. Don't work tired. :smt015 It's very easy to make a mistake and that can be expensive. Even though it is a hobby, you don't want spend hours tomorrow fixing something because your tried to squeeze in ten more minutes today. :smt009

13. Don't you know this is an unlucky number. :smt118

14. Cost. None of this stuff is cheap. :smt030 Image Yet sometimes passion trumps business sense. It doesn't hurt to live a little if no harm is done in the long run. :smt029

15. Add 5% for breakage, overruns and mistakes. :oops: :smt024

16. Don't try to out engineer the engineers. They know more than you do. :smt102

17. Cheap tools... No. :-|

18. Get used to a scrubbing brush, washcloths and cleaning solvents. You'll be using them a lot. :smt010

19. Take your time. Impatience can lead to frustration and that's when you start breaking stuff. :-x

20. There will be days when after 10 hours of work it will appear that nothing got done. :cry: Keep at it. Every little part is just another piece of the puzzle and someday it will come together. Adding trim is like icing on the cake. And who doesn't like icing. :D

21. Hope and pray that you have an understanding family :smt057 or get very creative :smt115 . Either way life will be a lot easier. :smt104
Last edited by mechatech on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1972 Lincoln Continental :smt004
See the restoration. Now... Where does this part go? :smt017 :smt013 :smt102 :smt100

My friend's blog.
2sasilverbullet
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 2sasilverbullet »

Very well put Megatech! I have a good friend that owns a restoration business. (Jeff Lilly restorations http://www.jefflilly.com/)

He's walked me through the process of how he breaks down a car and stores all the parts - you can see how he does it here - http://www.jefflilly.com/build-process/index.html

All in all I don't think I'd ever do the full restoration of a car myself. But my friend Jeff Lilly charges "by the hour" and most of his restorations run in the 150k to 250k area! Yikes!
No Lincoln currently...
larrys 62 53A
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by larrys 62 53A »

Mechatech, that is the best description of the rules of car restoration I've ever read! My one rule is this:

Figure out how much money it will cost before you begin. Quadruple that amount. You will still come up short.
Toronto Canada
1962 Lincoln-Continental sedan (mint original) owned since 1999
1954 Citroen 11B Traction Avant (restored by me) Owned since 1983
1991 Mercedes 190E (daily driver)
1960 Saab 93F- owned since 2015
1949 Citroen 11BL Traction Avant owned since 2015 -a work in progress
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Rub it in why dont you lol....

Congrats...you know, even before i had Lorelei, i saw the work you were doing on yours..Hell my dad and I spent hours reading your posts, back then i think it was on the car domain thingy...

It looks outstanding..and im repeating myself lol...
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

mechatech wrote:
10. The chances of breaking something is in direct proportion to it's cost and rarity. :smt013
:D

Thanks for that excellent list of points. It's an informative and fun read.
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by mechatech »

2sasilverbullet wrote:Very well put Megatech! I have a good friend that owns a restoration business. (Jeff Lilly restorations http://www.jefflilly.com/)

He's walked me through the process of how he breaks down a car and stores all the parts - you can see how he does it here - http://www.jefflilly.com/build-process/index.html

All in all I don't think I'd ever do the full restoration of a car myself. But my friend Jeff Lilly charges "by the hour" and most of his restorations run in the 150k to 250k area! Yikes!
That guy is scary good. :shock: :-)

Thanks to all for the compliments, support and suggestions. If was a long road and there were times I was uncertain if I would ever finish.

Now I've got to figure out what to do with the rest of my life. :D
See the restoration. Now... Where does this part go? :smt017 :smt013 :smt102 :smt100

My friend's blog.
Uncle Joe
Frequent Contributor

Post by Uncle Joe »

[/quote] Now I've got to figure out what to do with the rest of my life. :D[/quote]

Come over here and help with mine? :D :D
I have mechanical aptitude. I can screw up everything!
black63lincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by black63lincoln »

Mechatech, you deserve a big fat trophy for this amazing build.. :smt023

It blows my mind to think of the lengths you went on this restoration...
Todd
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

2sasilverbullet wrote:Very well put Megatech! I have a good friend that owns a restoration business. (Jeff Lilly restorations http://www.jefflilly.com/)

WOW! Great link! I can see why he demands top price for his work. Awesome shop and skills. :smt023
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
mechatech
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: I've been busy. The cherry on top!

Post by mechatech »

The trunk lid decal has been a pain. Osborn Reproductions has only 1970 and 1973, I bought both and they are wrong for my car.

1970 has no text.

And 1973 has a different spare tire hold down system.

So I scanned both into my pc and made the correct decal in Paint.net. using a pic Castrosua sent me as reference. It covers MY 71 and 72.

Tried to get it printed in vinyl but it would cost $25 for one to five. Instead I had them printed on adhesive backed paper, four for $5. Since it's paper it may wrinkle with moisture over time or the ink my rub off so it's good to have spares.

And here it is.

If anyone wants the image let me know and I'll email it to you. You can take it to a print shop or do it yourself on an inkjet or laser printer.

My friend's blog.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

wow, that came out actually pretty nice
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body