I've been busy. DONE!

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
nick77Mark
Occasional Visitor

Re: I've been busy. DONE!

Post by nick77Mark »

Holy Smokes!!!
Hello everyone!
alexib71
Occasional Visitor

Post by alexib71 »

WOW :smt038 :smt038
1977lincolnmarkv
Frequent Contributor

Post by 1977lincolnmarkv »

This car is amazing, great work, great car, great color, great car.
Navigator

Post by Navigator »

Great job and great documentation, thanks!
71Kahn

Post by 71Kahn »

Up late looking for directions on restoring my 71 Continental, when I came across your restoration. Then scrolling through it I see the picture of your parents, coincidentally it happens to be your Dads Bday, so Happy BirthDay to your Pops, and Thanks for the amazing write up!!
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Mecha, I realize this thread is old, but still very interesting and useful to read for restorations. Can you describe the process that you used to reflock your glovebox and what materials that you used? Did you have to use any special tools? I'd like to do this job on my '67.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

I've been around this forum now for quite a long time. My routine when logging on is to go to "View New Posts". Since your project started and ended before I learned my way around the forum, I was unaware of it until the recent new post. I just finished reading and viewing your pictures from beginning to end and I can't even begin to imagine the work entailed but it is sure easy to appreciate the end results. It's simply stunning. Thank you for sharing.

One of the things that struck me is that even after final paint and trim was done, there were several times the car had to go back into the hands of others, for the motor rework for example, muffler work, front end alignment, etc. etc. That's one of the things I hate is giving my old girls to someone else in hopes that they are going to take care of her the way I do or at least not damage anything. I especially hate the shops that shuttle cars inside and back outside - sometimes overnight or longer - where they are out in the weather and subject to accidental damage.

I know it's inevitable and sometimes necessary but did you have concerns with that on your car? How do you handle it? Do you caution the shops, give them instructions on what they can and cannot do with it while in their possession, or do you primarily just choose what you consider to be a good shop and let them have at it?

I think after a paint job I would probably want to camp out beside the car until I took it home again. :D

Anyway, what a great job. What a lucky man to own a virtually new 72 Continental.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I think that there have been posts about this before, so I'll be quick: In a strange shop, trying to caution workers is a worthless endeavor. Either they will automatically respect the car or they won't. They may even intentionally damage it in a hidden spot, just to show you who's boss, especially if you make a big deal of trying to "instruct" them. Having said that, unless you are having an emergency in a far country, the best thing to do is know your shop and the workers. Develop a relationship with them that is as mutual as possible. They will respect you and your car. Breakfast sandwiches for the whole crew go a long way toward building that relationship, as does the box of Dunkin's coffee. (Shop coffee is usually only tolerable for those who drink it every day, and the workers will appreciate it.) Mostly just treat them as you would want them to treat you and your car. Until recently, I've had the same shop for more than 30 years, until the owner retired and the ethic of the shop deteriorated drastically. Wayne
mannye
Occasional Visitor

Post by mannye »

mechatech wrote: Would I do it again. Yes. Though it might be 10 or 15 years from now.
So..... two more years... looking for the new project yet? :)
mannye
Occasional Visitor

Post by mannye »

How's that new project coming along? When can I go pick up the old one? :)