1972 Continental

This area is for members who are restoring their Lincolns or any other project that they wish to discuss and document with fellow forum members. You can link to your own off-site page or post all your pics and progress in the thread itself. Customizers should use the Customizer Members' Projects forum.
trouble
Frequent Contributor

Re: 1972 Continental

Post by trouble »

hey Al i'm feeling ya,just do what ya gotta do man.look after yr self!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Castro,
There comes a time when one has to start reducing one's collection to what one can handle and live with. You have to take care of yourself, first. I've never known a homeless man who owned a Lincoln, 72 or otherwise. I do know a few people who used to have them and sold them for health, age, and divorce reasons.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

The problem is that how much could I get for the cars? The 73 looks like it came off the MadMax set. Nobody really wants to have to piece it back together. And the rust, and a new vinyl top. So what, 500? 1000?

The 72 may be original and documented but she will need paint. Its still the original paint, and if you paint a car you gotta cut out the rusty bits which she has a few. Add in fixing the ac and how much would somebody pay for that? I had somebody offer me 2k for the car. Needless to say I mentally punched them in the throat.

The Crown Vic is still evidence...so nothing I can do about him for now.

And all the parts I have. I may be a bit of a hoarder but I will need them at some point. Its how a poor college student like me used to run them, and then an even poored teaching assistant, and now a broke as crap guy can still keep them running. I have all they could need for at least 5 years lol. Who would buy parts like that? I went through that with the Crown Vic parts car, and just dealing with people was a hassle and full time job.

I dont know...I'm still struggling with the limitations. This isnt easy. But I will do my best to keep them. Going to a cruise night is a hassle at times but I force myself to go.

Thanks Trouble. This is one of the few places where I dont feel its the "internet" with trolls and whatnot. Its why I dumped all this touchy feely stuff here. I needed a boost. And I knew people here have jumper cables!

For now the cars stay. I struggle with the car covers but once all the pollen and stray twigs are done falling I wont have to cover them right after a show. So I can go home take my meds and deal with covering the car the next day.

Al
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Your prized possessions likely have less value than what you have in them. The market is fickle. The public is cheap.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

So how about more crap news...I have 4 cars and Im down to 1 really...the 73 broke down (although its just a timing issue. Ill get it right at some point) and the Camaro is toast.

Some jackwagon rear ended me hard. So I was in the ER again. Just when I thought things stabilized and I could focus on healing this happens. Joy of joys...

So, Ill be slow in posting again.

Al
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

So I went to take Lorelei out and first thing I noticed was...

Headlight covers still down and snug after so long. I always loving seeing a sleeping beauty with her eyelids closed hehe
Sleeping peacefully
Sleeping peacefully
She started up quickly considering that the fuel line was dry so she had to suck gas from all the way in the back. But she ran great, and drove me home as if I parked her yesterday. I hate storing her this way but its better on her than staying outside.

She needed an oil change even though the last one was 70 miles before. Time limit! And I do follow those. Added the zinc too and a USA made oil filter!
Parked at the shop for state inspection and oil change
Parked at the shop for state inspection and oil change
Shiny and pretty
Shiny and pretty
More pictures at home.
The Continentals get together for a chat
The Continentals get together for a chat
Lorelei making poor Black Jack look so run down
Lorelei making poor Black Jack look so run down
Then I went to a car show. (Cruise night). Its been tough but I had a good day and didnt need my meds and I didnt leave early. I even got there early so I was in the front row
Front row
Front row
I saw one of my favorite cars. A Colony Park in pretty decent shape. Its as close to a Continental wagon as you can get, although its shorter wheelbase but also the front fender is shorter. I always thought they were nearly interchangeable, like the hood and header panel but nope. Lorelei was still the biggest car at the cruise.
Long roof
Long roof
And then what made my night was winning an award. Lorelei deserves the attention. Shes a solid car that starts up like a new car and drives smooth, even now. I dont get a lot of good days lately but this was a great day.
Night life
Night life
Im heading out to an all day car show with Lorelei, if the weather holds out. Hopefully it does.
Al
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

A little late, but Ive been swamped with med problems and car troubles. One car did perform great-Lorelei. Here are some of the cooler pics I took of her before and afters she got her trophy, plus a few other of my buddies.
Open wide AAAH
Open wide AAAH
559.jpg
Panoramic photo my phone took. I didnt know how to upload the bigger one.
Panoramic photo my phone took. I didnt know how to upload the bigger one.
63 Bonneville, my 72 Continental, 87 Thunderbird TurboCoupe, 63 Corvair Coupe, 13 Camaro
63 Bonneville, my 72 Continental, 87 Thunderbird TurboCoupe, 63 Corvair Coupe, 13 Camaro
It makes me feel better after the week I had :grin:
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Update...Lorelei is still around, plus a few more. Been very busy. Some of you guys know I have a broken neck and back, and was struggling. Im a lot better...No, I am actually good. Not healed, but good. Working harder, doing more...

I will post photos again, and go back to the how-tos I did for the early 70s cars. Mine do need a bit of work as years of rehab, learning how to walk and all, well...that takes its toll on a car.

But either way....

IM BACK!
mlj427
Frequent Contributor

Post by mlj427 »

Welcome back.
1972 Lincoln Continental coupe
sauceman
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by sauceman »

Groovy, welcome back!
Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgement.

Yugoslavia '94' , Israel/Syria '99 , Bosnia '02 , Afghanistan '08-'09

My 1977 Town Car build
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

He hasn’t been back since this his last post.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Thanks guys. I was coming back...just getting older and takes longer to type!

Seriously, I can't see myself without this place. When social media platforms collapse, the forum shall remain!

I dont know if I want to post videos of Lorelei, just feels kind of...low. Job wise, lot has changed, medically Im stable and maybe getting better even. But still not at the point I can work full time, so...youtube, yes. I do that thing. I just dont like the thought of even being perceived as one of those clout chasing, constantly plugging their channel type.

I will take more photos though...I tend to work on the Lincolns more to relax, no recording devices, just some music, the shop manual and thats it. I wish I could have done better with the videos I made with the old Continentals, but not many (relative of course) are into them. I mean, it keeps prices down to Earth and all, but would be nice if they got love, mostly to ensure that younger generations would get hooked on them and preserve them, and drive them for many more years. I guess I've been contemplating my own mortality lately, and without kids, I do think of what's next?

I will rant a bit...

Being on youtube, and othe platforms, with terms of service, naughty words you can never ever say (don't get me started on how I cant say tranny, rear end, lube, stud, nuts, screw...do they know that cars are a thing and all?), all this does leave an effect, that I catch myself sometimes talking as if Im a freaking 5yo. Its pathetic really. On the forum here, I never had to police my speech for no-no words. Sure, I am polite, because that's how I and most of us were raised, and it's neither the place, nor serves a purpose to be vulgar for no reason.

After posting on a few threads, giving some advice when I could or knew something relevant, I find myself settling back in, when I first got my Lincoln, well over 10 years ago, and found this place and made great friends that I've met, and we talked Lincolns, worked on each other's cars and that again, linked to mortality an all, meant a lot to me, that we have a community and a shared passion and shared interest.

So yeah, I will be posting again, to not lose my link to reality. Its hard not to get swept up in social media garbage. (As a side note, I should log on to Facebook and Twitter more often to promote myself, but FB i love on once every 5 months, talk to a friend there in messager as if we're pen pals of old, and Twitter...meh, that place makes a public bathroom in a MTA subway bathroom seem downright pleasant!).
From one of my videos, all dressed up and all.
From one of my videos, all dressed up and all.
So, just to remind myself how to post a photo, here's one from "work", dressed up nice, where Lorelei is looking good, but her paint is cracking and she will need a repaint. She's only original once, but there come's that point where you just need new clothes...or something.

I know I have a thread about the 73, but update on Black Jack, I detailed and polished my first car, and he came out looking GOOD!
73 Towncar after a car show. Not bad for a 500 dollar car!
73 Towncar after a car show. Not bad for a 500 dollar car!
Other projects I chipped away at (besides finally buying a home, co-owning with mom, no shame in family sticking together), is a Romanian bus I imported, that my grandfather was part of (he was an electrical engineer back during communist times in Romania). Its a heap...and runs...in a weird definition of the word running. I have a 74 Ranchero with rotted floors waiting for me to fab something up. Just got a winter "beater" of a lifted Cherokee 2 door, that is a gem, and working on finally restoring my Crown Vic LX Sport after wreck that broke my cervical spine. But overall, I'm positive about things, and yeah, things are tough, but if I have no control over them, at least I can focus internally on the things I can control and affect change to.

So....that was long. Ok, no more typie typie now.
Alex
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Just wanna post a quick update here. Still alive and somewhat kicking. I can add a heart attack to the list of medical issues. Im as messed up as Black Jack is. Im ok, but no projects being done now. Still have all the cars, (added a few, the last being a beautiful Grand Marquis that I restored, and its as if its brand new, sans the usual messed up bumper covers. But A/C, switches, door panels, little impossible to find things, CD players, all the indicator lights, now work, and she drives like its a brand new car, despite it being 100k mile NY car!)

Anyway, Im gonna keep it at that. Im ok, waiting on more appointments, and how Im going to juggle the stomach problems, spine issues and now cardiac problems. Apparently there are few, but others with this trifecta, so much like with our cars, if somebody else dealt with it before, theres a chance theres how to-s and guides and whatnot. But it sucks royally that I will say. Cancer isnt immediately fear inducing. Its depressing, but heart attacks, especially for me this year, because I lost a good friend (also my age, 42) to a heart attack.

Bright side, is that Im not busy anymore. Not by choice, but it gave me time to log on again!

Alex
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Welcome back, Alex. You are a great contributor.

I urge you to do your therapy and eat right and strengthen yourself no matter how much it hurts. Your health depends on these things, not magic drugs, magic sky fairies, or magic spells.

My dad’s health decline is a painful reminder we are what we make of ourselves and the rules of biology and physics apply to everyone.

Take care of yourself. Don’t pity yourself. Do something about it. It’s hard.

No one said owning a Lincoln was easy, either.
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

You've been around this Forum a long time, Alex. All the best with your recovery. You're young enough for a big "Comeback!!!"
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator