1966 Deck open issue

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

1966BlackonBlackConv
Occasional Visitor

1966 Deck open issue

Post by 1966BlackonBlackConv »

1966 Deck open issue

I have had the car 2 months. The car sat in a heated garage for 10 years and was used very little. Just recently, I had the top up bracket rewelded in place on the left side as it broke the second time I operated the top. The shop did a great job and the top operated perfectly after the repair 5 times.

Today, when opening the deck using the key and dash top switch. The deck would unlock. Then the deck and UBP (flipper) would bounce on the surface but not open. It raised up one inch and then stalled and bounced. If I manipulated the UBP and leading edge of the deck, I could manually assist the UBP and deck lid. It was not still locked as I could assist it upward. This allowed me to open the deck lid and UBP to the fully erect position. I only needed to assist the movement from fully closed to 1/3 of the way up. After that it would go up on its own to full erect. If I got the deck lid to start moving after the first 1/3 of the way up and DID NOT assist it- it would power down and want to close and lock back down- even thought the switches were in the raised position. It did this 5 times.

I pulled the car out of the garage ( 9' garage ceilings). I assisted the deck lid up and engaged the top up cycle and completed it until the top was locked at the header and deck lid closed. I then ran another 3 perfect complete cycles and the issue did not return.

I am a novice study of the service manual for the top and the separate top manual. I have read them several times. My comprehension has never been strong. However, I fail to understand why the deck lid would activate DOWN when the switches (dash and key) were placed in the UP position- unless I assisted the deck and UBP by hand. I want to believe that the UBP limit switch is involved- but the logic of the service manuals does not support this theory.

It works fine now, but Ignorance is not bliss! Can anyone tell my why the deck lid would want to close with the switches in the up position- unless I helped it up by hand? The repair shop did not touch any of the limit switches etc...
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1966 Deck open issue

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Today, when opening the deck using the key and dash top switch. The deck would unlock. Then the deck and UBP (flipper) would bounce on the surface but not open. It raised up one inch and then stalled and bounced.
This means you have to lower the front deck open switch (passenger side, near the deck lock socket). The deck is unlocked, but the deck open switch is still depressed. It needs to be less depressed (not sad), to trigger the deck pump.

Activate the switch by hand/thumb several times to exercise it. Sitting is BAD to these tops.
If I manipulated the UBP and leading edge of the deck, I could manually assist the UBP and deck lid. It was not still locked as I could assist it upward. This allowed me to open the deck lid and UBP to the fully erect position. I only needed to assist the movement from fully closed to 1/3 of the way up. After that it would go up on its own to full erect. If I got the deck lid to start moving after the first 1/3 of the way up and DID NOT assist it- it would power down and want to close and lock back down- even though the switches were in the raised position. It did this 5 times.
You don't say if you are lowering or raising the top. This is important.
The IT you refer to many times must be the deck, right? I'm guessing you have a little sagging of the UBP also, do you not?
I pulled the car out of the garage ( 9' garage ceilings). I assisted the deck lid up and engaged the top up cycle and completed it until the top was locked at the header and deck lid closed. I then ran another 3 perfect complete cycles and the issue did not return.
Oh, it will return. It will get worse. Frequent use helps. Sitting does not.

I recommend contacting member JAB for some top advice. He is an expert who can help you.
1966BlackonBlackConv
Occasional Visitor

Re: 1966 Deck open issue

Post by 1966BlackonBlackConv »

“You don't say if you are lowering or raising the top. This is important.
The IT you refer to many times must be the deck, right? I'm guessing you have a little sagging of the UBP also, do you not?”

My response:
The IT IS the deck lid and UBP.
The top assembly was stowed with the deck lid locked. I used the deck lid opening key switch- however the top control switch would result in the same bouncing and not lift the deck lid and UBP.
Yes, I have a small amount of sagging of my UBP. After reviewing the schematic, it appears the current must flow through the UBP limit switch. If the UBP is sagging the circuit is open and wont energize the deck lid motor.
So my issue which I can no longer recreate, might be a bad/ maladjusted deck close limit switch or a bad/maladjusted UBP limit switch? For now I am going to leave it be- the UBP adjustment looks intimidating.

Thanks for mentoring me on this process Dan! I will get a hold of JAB also.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”