1966 Top Not Locking

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Dannimtz

1966 Top Not Locking

Post by Dannimtz »

Hi All

My 1966 LCC top is stuck during the top erect cycle. The top comes out of the trunk fine and rests on the headers completely. However the top lock motor is not getting power to engage the hooks into the header. When I activate to the top control switch I do hear a click in the top lock relay. I also switched the top lock relay with the top unlock relay and the same clicking sound can be heard. The top up limit switch and upper back panel limit switch have been tested and are working fine. The motor itself has been tested about a year ago and seem to be working fine - but should probably try to get power to it directly to make sure it still runs. '

With the top resting on the header, I can reverse the cycle and get the top back into the trunk with the deck lid closed and locked.

Any other ideas on what to test next?

thanks all.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: 1966 Top Not Locking

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You can jumper the connector at the top lock relay to lock the top.

There's probably a poor connection to the motor which can be alleviated by removing the power terminals from the connector shell and giving them a slight pinch with pliers.

Or you have the dreaded "top harness wires have broken" problem. The wires are INSIDE the top and tend to break where the top folds. You have to rip up the top to find the wires. I'll find a pic in a little bit.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This should help. Motor wires are on the driver side (left). With the top down, you can access the connectors at the end of the harness coming out of the package tray and do resistance measurements to see if the motor is actually connected. I could be convinced to provide some live support if you're working on it tomorrow. PM me to schedule a time. My 66 is in my garage and I could facetime you some tips.
Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 5.50.52 PM.png
If I'm not available, contact JAB through PM (John Brewer). He's an expert in top systems.
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Thinking he may have a broken wire in the harness inside the top
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
Dannimtz

Post by Dannimtz »

Hi All

Thank you for all the advice. After John Brewer was kind of enough to call me, we figured it out. Somehow the top lock motor and the lock hooks were jammed making the motor seem inoperable. So I removed the top lock motor and tested on the bench and it worked. I then removed the top lock hook assembly and also tested those with a screw driver in place of the motor. I then reconnected the motor to the top lock assembly and initially it was not operating like it was while in the header. I played around with it to get the shaft of the motor to top lock assembly to move a by moving it manually, while the motor was not securely tight to the lock assembly. Once I had the motor shaft muring the assembly shaft and slightly moving the hooks, I thightened the motor to the hook assembly on the bench to see if it would move the hooks - and it moved the hooks without stressing the motor. I then kept the motor attached to the hook assembly and reinstalled the motor and hook assembly to the header. I then tested the hooks installed in the header and they worked as expected. Now the entire top will cycle all the way through the top up and down cycle!!

I think I caused the issue while reinstalling the top unlock limit switch and allowed the hooks to open too much and they got stuck. After that I heard no sounds from the motor but only a single clicking sound from the relay. So taking the top lock motor out and lock assembly and getting it to work on the bench solved the issue.

thanks all for your advice and help. I really appreciate it.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Good work.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”