1965 Upper back panel issues

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

mjs
Lincoln Maniac

1965 Upper back panel issues

Post by mjs »

I have a 1965 in the shop right now with upper back panel issues. First of all it is a T-Bird instead of a Lincoln but the tops, of course, are the same. I have worked on these before but this one has me stumped. In the retract cycle the deck lid will unlock and open but the panel will not extend out. I do hear the relay click. I can jump the relay and extend the panel after which the top will retract, deck lid close, and lock. On the reverse cycle the deck lid will again unlock and open but no panel action. Again I do hear the relay click and can jump the motor at the relay and it will close. The top will then operate normally with the deck lid closing and locking.

So the upper panel motor will operate by jumping it at the relay. The correct relays do click. I did replace them but no change. Wiring from the relays to the motor is obviously good. What am I missing? I'm wondering about a bad circuit breaker but, again I can jump the motor.

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated.
Mike Shelton
1957 Lincoln Premier convertible, 57 Lincoln Premier 2dr, 57 Lincoln Premier Sedan, 56 Lincoln Premier Sedan
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 1965 Upper back panel issues

Post by defrang »

Call John Brewer to discuss/troubleshoot the upper back panel limit switch.‭ (303) 562-8368‬. He rebuilds them, has machined parts for them and can tell you how to adjust them. Or if needing a replacement, has them available. John Cashman also can help.

The inner and outer 'hockey pucks' adjust to get this panel moving. I carry the appropriate small wrenches in the glove box just in case. I used to adjust every time until John Brewer rebuilt mine. Now no problems for 2 years. But the wrenches stay in the glove box permanently!
Attachments
1965 Lincoln upper back panel limit switch
1965 Lincoln upper back panel limit switch
Robert DeFrang
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

check to make sure your trunk is operating the deck open limit switch. On my 66 Lincoln is mounted in the trunk below the driver side cylinder. Have someone operate the dash switch when the trunk opens LIGHTLY give it another 1/4" push open when it stops. When the deck opens and engages this switch it tells the system the deck is fully extended and to open the flipper. The switch has an adjustment, I believe.

Here, there is one on ebay. It looks like this.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/254597356359
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

In the case of the Thunderbird, the top does work differently and the circuits are somewhat different.
The Tbird does not have a top up limit switch front, top lock limit switch and top unlock limit switch.
In your case, the upper back panel limit switch is invoked in both the flipper up and flipper down (top down cycle and top up cycle respectively)
In the top down cycle, the deck open limit switch left hand is also called into play.
In the top up cycle the circuit also goes through the top up limit switch.
In total, there are three switches that may be causing your problem... upper back panel limit switch, deck open limit switch left hand, and top up limit switch.
The latter two switches are easily tested in place for proper on / off continuity.
The upper back panel limit switch should probably be rebuilt and a stainless steel center spindle installed.

John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

In the case of the Thunderbird, the top does work differently and the circuits are somewhat different.
The Tbird does not have a top up limit switch front, top lock limit switch and top unlock limit switch.
In your case, the upper back panel limit switch is invoked in both the flipper up and flipper down (top down cycle and top up cycle respectively)
In the top down cycle, the deck open limit switch left hand is also called into play.
In the top up cycle the circuit also goes through the top up limit switch.
In total, there are three switches that may be causing your problem... upper back panel limit switch, deck open limit switch left hand, and top up limit switch.
The latter two switches are easily tested in place for proper on / off continuity.
The upper back panel limit switch should probably be rebuilt and a stainless steel center spindle installed.

John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Just got educated on the T-Bird ! Thanks John :D :smt006 :smt023
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
mjs
Lincoln Maniac

Post by mjs »

Or I could simply replace the 15A breaker for that circuit. After studying a schematic for the upper back panel, both extend and retract cycles, I determined that this was common to both and most likely the culprit. I switched it out and everything works fine.

BTW I had always assumed that the Lincolns and the 'Birds had the same top system. Guess I was wrong.
Mike Shelton
1957 Lincoln Premier convertible, 57 Lincoln Premier 2dr, 57 Lincoln Premier Sedan, 56 Lincoln Premier Sedan

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”