67 convertible harmonic damper(s)

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

HJS

67 convertible harmonic damper(s)

Post by HJS »

Good Evening,

Can anyone tell me if the '67 convertible has more than one harmonic damper? I have one located on the passenger side front.
Tucked under the rain shield and below the hvac blower motor. There is not one on the driver's side.
I cannot find any reference in the shop manual or on-line.

Thank you! Hank
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: 67 convertible harmonic damper(s)

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Hank, I recall some discussions about these things on the forum way back. I don't know that anyone ever determined why/when certain cars received them. Sometimes they were one side only, something it was both sides?

EDIT: Here are a few of the discussion threads. Apparently we do know the purpose.

https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... ht#p233375
https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... ght#p21351
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
HJS

Post by HJS »

Thanks Nick!

I do know what the function is for. What I think is odd is to only have one on the passenger side. I would have "assumed" to have a matching weight on the driver's side.

Chevy also used four on the '67 convertible Camero. Earlier Lincoln convertibles had two in the front and I think in the back as well.

The one difference on the '67 is that is is filled with fluid and is not just a solid "weight".

Not to put a damper on things but so much for the "weighted" subject.... :)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

John Cashman may have the answer to this. He’s probably taken more of these cars apart than anyone. Give him a call. He will talk you ear off.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”