63 top out of sequence

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Mill Creek 63
Occasional Visitor

63 top out of sequence

Post by Mill Creek 63 »

I recently had a new top installed on my 63. It worked fine in the shop but is now out of sequence. When lowering the top, the trunk lid unlatches (screws release) and begins to open and then, when the lid has begun to open, the top unlatches and begins to open. This happens at various points, when the lid is a few inches to half way open. The boot flap sequence is completely bypassed. We have checked relays, grounds, wires, switches etc. and cannot find the culprit. An suggestions?
Does anyone know of someone with expertise in these mechanisms in the Seattle area? We have tried a couple of people who claim to know but find they know even less than we do!?
Thanks
black 63 convertible
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 63 top out of sequence

Post by defrang »

Call John Brewer ‭(303) 562-8368. He has the parts you might need and the expertise. He talked me through top problems on my 65. He or John Cashman are worth more on the phone than most others in person.
Robert DeFrang
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 63 top out of sequence

Post by bd94s10 »

Def call John Cashman. He is in FL right now but will be happy to help. I just met up with him last week. Did you replace the wiring in the top when it was replaced? That is one question he will ask you. Always good to replace it when doing the top material. My ‘64 was all out of wack it was due to the broken gear in the flapper motor under the rear deck lid. My friend TC routinely fields questions at Lincoln Land about this exact issue your having. They usually start with did you replace the wiring in the top. Good look and let us know what John suggests.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”