1964 Convertible Top Problem

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Live2Ride57

Re: 1964 Convertible Top Problem

Post by Live2Ride57 »

What was the resolution of this problem? I'm having exactly the same problem right now.
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

Live2Ride57 wrote:What was the resolution of this problem? I'm having exactly the same problem right now.
Not resolved, I put the car into storage last fall, going to have another look at it this spring, keep you posted. Let me know if you come up with a fix as well.
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

Car back home now and back to work trying to unlock the top from the windshield, can someone tell me which wires I need to jump to activate the unlock? there are several connectors I can pull out from inside the header panel, not sure which one, pictures would be great. thanks!
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

Classiccannuk wrote:Car back home now and back to work trying to unlock the top from the windshield, can someone tell me which wires I need to jump to activate the unlock? there are several connectors I can pull out from inside the header panel, not sure which one, pictures would be great. thanks!
Anyone competent in this area? :pray:
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Call Cashman. He usually gives advice over the phone. Just have the relays accessible and he’ll be able to tell you what to do right away.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

LithiumCobalt wrote:Call Cashman. He usually gives advice over the phone. Just have the relays accessible and he’ll be able to tell you what to do right away.
thanks!
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

If you have not got it unlocked yet...
Go to the upper back panel limit switch.
Identify the two adjacent wires Brown with Green stripe / Red. The are located on the half of the switch closest to the driver side.
Provide 12 volts from the battery to the RED wire rivit. This will send current to activate the top unlock relay and then power the motor to open the header lock.

You can also simply jumper the header unlock relay plug (center female pin insert is hot)

John Brewer
303 562-8368
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

JAB wrote:If you have not got it unlocked yet...
Go to the upper back panel limit switch.
Identify the two adjacent wires Brown with Green stripe / Red. The are located on the half of the switch closest to the driver side.
Provide 12 volts from the battery to the RED wire rivit. This will send current to activate the top unlock relay and then power the motor to open the header lock.

You can also simply jumper the header unlock relay plug (center female pin insert is hot)

John Brewer
303 562-8368
thank you very much!! how do I lock it back down? how do I identify the problem, what causes this issue?
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

Just give me a call and we can go over it on the phone.
In the above posts, the various pieces that are causing the problem have been identified. They need to be tested for proper function. Non-functional switches or relays should be sent in for rebuild or replacement.

When the top stops functioning at a certain point, the switches and relays that are SPECIFIC to those functions are usually the culprits.
The Upper Back Panel Limit Switch is a VERY COMMON source of malfunction. A proper rebuild and upgrade will usually solve these issues.
ALSO, In the case of switches, it may simply be out of adjustment.
In some cases the relay is not plugged in properly or may not be grounding properly (see John Cashmans comments)
In some situations, you may have a wire harness issue, but this is rarer than a failing switch or relay.

Given how long you have been living with this problem, I would recommend that you call me and we can trouble shoot the system.

Give me a call.
John Brewer
303 562-8368
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

JAB wrote:Just give me a call and we can go over it on the phone.
In the above posts, the various pieces that are causing the problem have been identified. They need to be tested for proper function. Non-functional switches or relays should be sent in for rebuild or replacement.

When the top stops functioning at a certain point, the switches and relays that are SPECIFIC to those functions are usually the culprits.
The Upper Back Panel Limit Switch is a VERY COMMON source of malfunction. A proper rebuild and upgrade will usually solve these issues.
ALSO, In the case of switches, it may simply be out of adjustment.
In some cases the relay is not plugged in properly or may not be grounding properly (see John Cashmans comments)
In some situations, you may have a wire harness issue, but this is rarer than a failing switch or relay.

Given how long you have been living with this problem, I would recommend that you call me and we can trouble shoot the system.

Give me a call.
John Brewer
303 562-8368
Thanks, just saw your comments, I'll aim for this Sunday to give you a call, if that works for you? thanks!
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

Top finally functions! Found someone local who understood workings, ended up being some bad wiring repairs done in the past, guessing no one thought the car would still be on the road in 2020, thank you for everyone who submitted advise to this post. Now to work on the leaking pump, never seems to end.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Classiccannuk wrote: Found someone local who understood workings, ended up being some bad wiring repairs done in the past, guessing no one thought the car would still be on the road in 2020,
Now to work on the leaking pump, never seems to end.
Neglect and poor workmanship keeps the to do list long.
And if the OE condition was maintained the list would be so much longer.
Keeping that condition requires effort even in doing the little things.
The human condition typically walks away from maintenance

At least it will keep you occupied for some time to come.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

action wrote:
Classiccannuk wrote: Found someone local who understood workings, ended up being some bad wiring repairs done in the past, guessing no one thought the car would still be on the road in 2020,
Now to work on the leaking pump, never seems to end.
Neglect and poor workmanship keeps the to do list long.
And if the OE condition was maintained the list would be so much longer.
Keeping that condition requires effort even in doing the little things.
The human condition typically walks away from maintenance

At least it will keep you occupied for some time to come.

Action
Yes, absolutely right, I try to keep the down time to a few days and keep the car road worthy, this problem kicked my butt.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”