67 No power to the up down switch

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

1967LCC
Occasional Visitor

67 No power to the up down switch

Post by 1967LCC »

Hello,

I am not getting power to the up/down switch. I really was trying to diagnose this through the manual and searching the forum but saw this and wanted to reach out.....

What I did so far:

- Got my power squared away re: what should go where on the starter relay. There was an aftermarket AMP gauge that made things a little goofy.
https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... =3&t=52079

- Check the CBs behind the glove box. All good. Note: Everything works on the car. Antenna, windows, lights, etc.

- Looked at the schematics and looks like the neutral relay and switch are part of getting power to the up/down switch. Went to check that out (uncovered the front fender relay bank) and saw this mess. Checked some posts...Is the the aftermath of removing the neutral switch?
Taped off and yellow connection disconnected
Taped off and yellow connection disconnected
- Is there a missing relay and should the yellows be connected?
Missing Relay? Other side of yellow connection
Missing Relay? Other side of yellow connection
Is there a layout of what relay is what? Not sure I can use the shop manual to triage with what is going on here. Also, not sure the wire colors and lining up with what is in the manual.

Appreciate any help or direction.

Rich
1967LCC
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 67 No power to the up down switch

Post by RMAENV »

Rich,

I can't tell from the pic of your car if it has the optional top keyswitch at the gas tank fill. This switch if you have it is wired direct from the battery to the motors so I bypasses the fender relay. If you have it try it. If the top works the front relay is bad.

You are correct that there is a neutral safety relay for the top in the black box of relays on the driver side fender. If you have no power to the dash switch it is usually the relay. John Cashman bypasses this relay. I had someone wire a replacement in the new bosch style relay for me when mine went bad. I think I did a post here about it years ago. Use the search here. There is all kinds of discussions about it. I will try to find what I posted.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
1967LCC
Occasional Visitor

Post by 1967LCC »

Thanks - Have the key by the gas fill. Dead as a door knob. I'll do some searching!!!
1967LCC
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Maybe John Brewer and/or John Cashman can jump in here but I am almost sure that when my front relay went bad my buddy told me to try the key switch at the gas fill and it worked. That is how he knew the front relay was bad. When he wired up a new Bosch relay for the front both front dash switch and back key switch worked. He told me the gas tank key switch was directly wired which was why it worked with the key switch.

You may want to pull the back seat back rest. The 2 relays (unlock/deck lid) mounted on the rear seat frame are grounded by the screws that mount them to the back rest frame. If the deck unlock relay is not grounded it is the 1st phase of the top operation and nothing will happen. I know because I spent hours adjusting my top. Went to check it, nothing happened, spent another 2 hours retracing my steps and noticed I had forgotten to remount the unlock relay. screwed it into the metal frame and the top worked like a champ. Got real angry and frustrated and felt very stupid at the same time. That's how you learn!
Rob
1967LCC
Occasional Visitor

Post by 1967LCC »

Got real angry and frustrated and felt very stupid at the same time.

I learned!!! Jumped it a few times in the past and forgot to put it back to original state.

Thanks!!

The deck pump needs a look at - leaking fluid. I have a gasket somewhere. Detached the pistons from the deck and it is not locked down but got the top up and locked. Need to fix the hydraulics and run through all the moves again.

Funny - My son had to do a Rube Goldberg for a school project and I thought of my Lincoln. :grin:
1967LCC
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

I have attached a picture of the relays from my '67 convertible. Hope this helps.
Attachments
image.jpg
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

From the posts, it is unclear if you got this resolved.
The neutral safety relay has a green plug, and is located in the bank of relays by the master cylinder.
It looks like it is missing, but I also did not see the green body plug it should fit into.

If you do not have power to either of the top switches, you may have a burned out fuse link up by the starter solenoid.

The switch by the gas cap was not an option in 66/67. All convertibles had it.

Feel free to call me if you need to go over anything.

John Brewer
303 562-8368
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
1967LCC
Occasional Visitor

Post by 1967LCC »

Hi John,

Welcome back to the States and thank you for the fast turn around on the Upper Back Panel switch!!!

Here are a few pics of what is hanging out.... There is a green connection - that is connected.
Open Connections 2.jpg
Open Connections.jpg
I am the guy you have been talking to re: Got the top up, locked, deck up, upper back panel down and then nothing - rebuilt switch.

Appreciate the help.

Rich
1967LCC
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Rich, let me know if you want any more photos of the area where the relays are. I'm fairly certain all of my relays and wiring are original. Jeff
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

I think I made a diagram from the shop manual years ago when I 1st bought my car (2007) I will look for it in the morning. If I have it I will scan and post. I think the pic in the shop manual identifies the relays by part number and I translated them.
Rob

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”