'63 LCC - Convertible Top Project

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: '63 LCC - Convertible Top Project

Post by mge825y »

SUCCESS! The convertible top is now fully operational.

I installed the new lines, cylinder / lifts, solenoids and pump. When I was dry-fitting everything together in the trunk, I discovered that the solenoids purchased from Hydro-E-Lectric were bigger in diameter than the originals and wouldn't fit the mounting clamps. But I was able to find and order some generic 304 stainless steel p-clamps to replace the originals. Also lost a little time on the pivot points where the bottom of the large top lifts connect behind the rear seat via the clevis pins. 2 of the fixed metal "collars" that the clevis pins thread through were cracked. The other 2 were broken from the brackets. My neighbor wheeled over his welding rig. The rear seat and seat back were already out of the car. We disconnected and moved the lifts and lines into the trunk. Then covered everything with thick moving blankets and welded the collars back into place.

After everything cooled off, I reconnected the top lifts. I used the Brewer jumper harness and about 3 quarts of Type F ATF and to bleed the lines. If you extend one pair of cylinder rams all the way out and then switch your hotwire harness to extend the other pair, at that point you will have used the most fluid needed from the reservoir because it will be in all 4 cylinders. I grabbed a white tie-wrap and used it as dip stick so I could gauge the ATF level in the reservoir after each cycle. After all the air was out of the lines, I made sure that when the rams were retracted, that the pump reservoir was about 75% full. I then took my time and jumped each pair of rams to move them slowly into position so that I could connect them to their respective top and deck lid mechanisms via clevis pins.

I then put the plug screw in the pump motor, removed the hotwire harness, made sure the pump and solenoids were firmly mounted and then connected each to their power wire. I took a break and hooked up my trickle charger to the battery overnight.

The next morning when I engaged the top switch, the top and deck cycled just as they should. That was a GREAT feeling. I only had to make one adjustment and that was to loosen and re-position the bolts for the deck flapper so that when it shut, it closed and made an even seal. I spent the rest of the day making sure the hydraulic lines and wiring were positioned properly. Tomorrow, I'll go through all the scissor hinges and pivot points and lubricate everything.

Just as John Brewer described, during the process of bleeding the lines, the solenoids and jumper wires will get hot. So it's important to take a break between cycles to let them cool. John's advice was also spot-on about the convenience of using the power there near the relays and about removing the mounting nuts for the pump motor so you can stand it vertically and keep it in place with a bungy cord for filling. The hotwire jumper and the steps that John Brewer detailed on this thread back on Feb 10, 2018 were simply invaluable. There's no way, no how that I would have been able to this job without it.

Thank you John Brewer!
Attachments
Buddy.JPG
D-Day.PNG
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

You are welcome! Credit also needs to go to John Cashman, who has been so kind as to answer all of my questions over the years. Sharing the knowledge is how we will keep these cars operating into the future.

John Brewer
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
Sal
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Sal »

Congrats on a job well done.

Cheers, Sal
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru
Location: Travel the USA... Favorites are southern Ca. & Fla.

Post by John Cashman »

The bleeding procedure for the 61- 65 Lincolns is nowhere in print in any manual. However it is described on my website, in my own words. Go to convertiblelincolns.com. Then give me an old-fashioned phone call if you have anymore questions! (813)390-1950 I do this procedure day in and day out and have for the past 38 years!
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Hello John! You and I had a conversation by phone before Christmas to discuss motor oils and Shell Rotella T. But I'm happy to report that John Brewer carried the flag this go around on instructions for getting the old top going in my '63 LCC. Then proceeded to lube all the hinges and joints with Sil Glyde silicon lubricant.

But could use your advice on a related topic. Do you have any suggestions for what kind of lube is needed on the worm gear deck lock mechanisms?

What about the deck flap? Can you use Sil Glyde there too?

Thanks Mark Evans in Charlotte
''63 LLC
Mark in Charlotte
AlT63bird
Lincoln Maniac

Post by AlT63bird »

JAB wrote:Use a heavy gauge jumper wire with alligator clips at either end. Make it about two feet long. We will call this the JUMPER WIRE

Set up a second wire harness that has two leads with female bullet connectors to affix to two solenoids.
That same harness will have another wire /alligator clip that will allow connection to either the male or female connector on the hydraulic motor plug.
That same harness will have another wire that will be connected to the JUMPER WIRE providing power from the breaker post. We will call this the JUMPER HARNESS
Using a wire crimping tool available at any auto parts store makes creating these harnesses easy.

You now have a harness setup that will allow jumping the motor and solenoids at the same time.
John, et.al.: I'm having a hard time visualizing the 'Jumper Harness' and how it is fabricated.What's throwing me is the comment "that same harness will have another wire that will be connected to the Jumper Wire." Can anyone post a picture or a schematic of how this is set up? Any help appreciated, especially visual and how it connects to the solenoids, pump plug, breaker, etc. I assume it's fabricated differently than the 3-wire jumper with alligator clips and female spade terminals for jumpering the relays. Thanks.
Alan H. Tast AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club International
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Alan - Nice catching up by phone. After we talked I did find some pictures that will help. If you can PM me your email address, I can send you some pics and instructions. Attaching pics and docs is much easier via regular email.
Mark in Charlotte
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

I did some digging and found the harness I used to bleed the top and deck lid lift lines in 2018. Attached for your review is a picture of my homemade masterpiece using materials I had on-hand at the time. Be gentle....
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Mark in Charlotte
bd94s10
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by bd94s10 »

Awesome thread. Glad you got it all squared away. Congrats.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”