Convertible Trunk Hydraulic Rams

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

JustinB306
Occasional Visitor

Convertible Trunk Hydraulic Rams

Post by JustinB306 »

I had my hydraulic rams disconnected from the trunk lid and finally got them to work on my 65. The ram on the passenger side operates faster than the driver side one both up and down. I ran it a bunch of times thinking it was air In the system but they still operate at different speeds. I connected them both up to the trunk lid and the trunk lid works fine. Is it normal when both hydraulic rams on the trunklid are disconnected to operated at differant speeds? I'm thinking not but have nothing to go by. Thanks, Justin.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Convertible Trunk Hydraulic Rams

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Is it normal when both hydraulic rams on the trunklid are disconnected to operated at differant speeds?
Yes. It's physics. It's caused by the difference between the distance they are from the pump and the pressure drop in the lines.

When the trunk is attached, the fixed distance forces them to appear to be the same. The cylinder closest to the pump will always be seeing a little higher pressure.

It's all very normal.
JustinB306
Occasional Visitor

Post by JustinB306 »

Thanks Dan. That did cross my mind but with my luck I figured something was wrong instead.
mikemm
Frequent Contributor

Post by mikemm »

Dan Szwarc wrote:
Is it normal when both hydraulic rams on the trunklid are disconnected to operated at differant speeds?
Yes. It's physics. It's caused by the difference between the distance they are from the pump and the pressure drop in the lines.

When the trunk is attached, the fixed distance forces them to appear to be the same. The cylinder closest to the pump will always be seeing a little higher pressure.

It's all very normal.
Doesn't this go against Boyles law Dan ? :grin:
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

On this forum, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!

No. Boyles law is not the reason.

It's because of friction.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”