1965 vert... Lots of help

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

soda7o
Occasional Visitor

1965 vert... Lots of help

Post by soda7o »

Hi all,
so i just picked up a 1965 vert and need lots of help.

the previous owner "Jumped" the top and it retracted up and down. (I have videos from him showing me the operation right before i got it)

How do i "jump the top"
do i need to take out the rear seat?
apply 12 volts to what?

my goal is to jump it and open the trunk to than further trouble shoot ( i will have tons more questions once i get past this one)
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Re: 1965 vert... Lots of help

Post by JAB »

Feel free to give me a call. I can take you through everything and help get the top functional.

John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
soda7o
Occasional Visitor

Post by soda7o »

Thanks
Will do
soda7o
Occasional Visitor

Post by soda7o »

Jumped the deck
Got the deck unlocked and raised it, although it needed some assistance raising the deck
Once I got it open I can see that some of the hydrolic lines and pump were moist
So it looks like I have a leak somewhere ( could that be the reason why the deck needed assistance going up?)
Are the lines repairable or better off just getting new lines? Same for the pump?

Tomorrow I'll try to remove all the relays , for further analysis...

Jumped the flap and it goes up and down with out any issues.

I also unplugged the dashboard top up/down switch but not I cannot reconnect from under the dashboard
Any tips on how to reconnect it?
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

Regarding the hydraulic fluid leak, you may simply have one or more loose connections. Follow the lines to where they connect to a motor, hydraulic cylinder or hydraulic solenoid. Tighten them firmly, but do not overtighten.
Follow up by cleaning the lines with Brake Kleen then observe to see if they continue to weep. If so, you will need to replace the lines. They cannot be repaired. Purchase them from www.hydroe.com .
Make sure the hydraulic motor has pink Type F transmission fluid in it filled to about an inch from the filler cap. Low fluid and air in the lines will cause the deck or top to move slowly.
Regarding reconnecting the top switch at the dash, sometimes that just requires patience and cramming yourself into position to get a better angle on it., Make sure that you run the seat all the way back so that you have more room..

John Brewer
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
soda7o
Occasional Visitor

Post by soda7o »

So I'll go over the lines and check the fluid in the pump and top it off of required

But here is a tought, so the down cycle is all in the trunk... With out being in the trunk how do I cycle down by jumping?
Is it safe to splice into the wiring harnes and extend it out side of the trunk so I can operate it that way?
soda7o
Occasional Visitor

Post by soda7o »

Stupid question
Where is the filler plug for the hydrolic pump?
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

The most upright tail end of the pump located in the right rear quarter panel. Slotted angled screwdriver is what worked for mine to remove the plug. Refill with type F.
Robert DeFrang
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

I attach this to a quart of type F and it makes it easier to add fluid to the pump.
Attachments
IMG_2943.PNG
Robert DeFrang
soda7o
Occasional Visitor

Post by soda7o »

defrang wrote:The most upright tail end of the pump located in the right rear quarter panel. Slotted angled screwdriver is what worked for mine to remove the plug. Refill with type F.

Thanks I'll give it a wirl tomorrow
I
soda7o
Occasional Visitor

Post by soda7o »

tightened all the lines, Got fluid and filled the pump as required. it was low!

went to try to cycle the deck but nothing.
Deck does not go down.

So earlier in the week, i was able to unlock and raise the deck by jumping. rear flap goes up and down but when i try to lower the deck nothing :(

anyway i took off all the relay and will be sending them out to get checked/rebuilt as needed.

found some melted rubber covers that go to the relays while i was there...
i will try to trim the good ones and replace the bad ones with new wires and covered female spade to the relay... anything else i should do while I am there? is there a better wayto replce the rubber boots that hold the connectors except completely bypassing it with a new female for the melted ones?

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”