1965 Convertible top with an extra support bar?

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

1965 Convertible top with an extra support bar?

Post by defrang »

I am in the process of replacing all the hydraulic lines for my convertible top and in the process I needed to detach the top and deck rams which allowed me to move the top up and out of the way. This process relaxed the top frame and I noticed a crossbar that I had originally thought was structural to drop out. It would seem this bar was just wedged in place by a prior owner possibly for added support. Each end of the bar was cupped over the end of a bolt. I was wondering if anyone has their convertible top frame similarly supported?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 8.43.02 PM.png
Robert DeFrang
TMaria
Occasional Visitor

Re: 1965 Convertible top with an extra support bar?

Post by TMaria »

Robert,

That brace was suggested by John Cashman. It prevented the top mechanism from twisting. I put one on my 65. The 66 and 67 have factory installed brace. Reinstall when you are finished.

Tony Maria
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Thanks Tony.
Robert DeFrang
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru
Location: Travel the USA... Favorites are southern Ca. & Fla.

Post by John Cashman »

That brace bar MUST be in every 64-5 convertible or its just a matter of time before the main cast iron mount breaks and the rams bend. Even the factory realized they had a problem and by 66 they were braced and re-designed. The 1/2 inch square tube is cut roughly 311/2 inches long(each car varies) When cut precisely it is over the big nub on the top pivots and can't escape. LincolnLand sells a kit with instructions if your car has not had this upgrade yet. If I've ever worked on it it has been done.Its called preventive maintenance... Fix the poor engineering before there is a bigger problem!
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Thanks John. Maybe you worked on the car previously. It was owned by Mimi and David Walters near San Juan Capistrano/Laguna Niguel. When I finish replacing the hydraulic lines and reattach the rams, I will fit this bar back in place.
Robert DeFrang
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

John Cashman wrote:That brace bar MUST be in every 64-5 convertible or its just a matter of time before the main cast iron mount breaks and the rams bend. Even the factory realized they had a problem and by 66 they were braced and re-designed. The 1/2 inch square tube is cut roughly 311/2 inches long(each car varies) When cut precisely it is over the big nub on the top pivots and can't escape. LincolnLand sells a kit with instructions if your car has not had this upgrade yet. If I've ever worked on it it has been done.Its called preventive maintenance... Fix the poor engineering before there is a bigger problem!
John, I have some 1/2" stock kicking around, is this tube cut tight to force fit over the nubs? no welding?
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

It is tight over the bolt ends and not welded.
Robert DeFrang
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

defrang wrote:It is tight over the bolt ends and not welded.
Thanks!
Classiccannuk
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Classiccannuk »

Bar installed, thanks for the tip! Now if I can only get the top to drop.

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”