64 Continental VINs

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

going4joe
Occasional Visitor

64 Continental VINs

Post by going4joe »

hello. I might be picking up a 64 Continental 4 dr convertible from a friend of a friend that has had it in a garage for quite sometime. Title lost. No paperwork, registration, etc. I need to source the VIN # to begin the process of tracing this thing back and getting a new title (The icing on the cake is the current owner never titled the car). Im trying to locate the VIN # on this vehicle - I know it appears on the ID tag on the drivers door jam. However, on this car, that door jam tag is missing. I am told the VIN # can be found stamped somewhere inside the engine compartment, around or on the wheel well. I dont see anything but maybe Im looking in the wrong place? Does the VIN appear elsewhere on this car? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Suicide65
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: 64 Continental VIN #s

Post by Suicide65 »

Sounds like a stolen car to me...
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

Just do a google search for 1964 Lincoln vin number location. It is on http://automotivemileposts.com/lincoln/images/1964/

John
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
going4joe
Occasional Visitor

Post by going4joe »

thanks!!
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

I would not even jack with this car, if it was me. The process of getting a title with the issues you have stated will be a bitch. I dont even see how a sale can be made to you for the car without a legal title, signed by previous owner. No title, no ownership.
I purchased a 1964 Chevelle SS project many years back and had issues similar. The title had not been signed by the seller and when I went to register, my bill of sale was useless because the seller was no where on the title. I had to track down the person whose signature was actually on the title and have him send documentation regarding the initial sale of the car.
This whole process was a major pain in the ass and took several months. Luckily, the original owner whose name was actually on the title, was willing to even help me out, otherwise I would have been up a shit creek without a paddle.
I ended up selling the vehicle anyways and purchased my 100% legit Lincoln. Waaaay easier.

BTW- not to be petty, but no need to state "number" after VIN, as VIN already stands for Vehicle Identification Number. Many make this mistake. Jimmy Two Times of Goodfellas comes to mind. :lol:

Best of luck, whichever route you go, but I'd look for a legit Lincoln, if you desire one, as they are out there and can be had for little money and then you could be driving, instead of chasing paperwork and signatures, and/ or spending hours at the DMV. :smt010
This one sounds kinda fishy or, at the least, a paper trail nightmare.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
Thomas Cary

Post by Thomas Cary »

Thomas Cary here I know where the vin# is on 1964/1965 Lincoln continental its in 3 other places on the car Please call me at (909)883-4235 so I can tell you where to look. Thanks Thomas P.S. I drove 1965 Lincoln continentals for 31 years all 3 models sedan , convertible, LP Limo Also I am a new forum member as of this week looking forward to talking to you as this is my first reply.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Thomas Cary wrote:Thomas Cary here I know where the vin# is on 1964/1965 Lincoln continental its in 3 other places on the car
Why not just type the VIN places, on here, in your reply so others can use for reference? Are you a spammer? :naughty:
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
niveklincoln
Frequent Contributor

Post by niveklincoln »

Thomas is No Spammer, he really knows his stuff regarding Lincoln's. I finally convince him to join the forum, he can be an asset to many needing help, identifying parts, answering questions, and has a large variety of parts to sale. :smt006
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

OP has been told where the VIN is located. He only needs to open the hood of this car and look for it. It's probably covered in dirt, rust, etc., but it is there. It's on both sides of the engine compartment, stamped upside down so it can be read while bending over the fender.

It might be behind something that has to be moved, but it is there.

The VIN is 4Y82N4XXXXX. I guarantee it (except the Xs).
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

niveklincoln wrote:Thomas is No Spammer, he really knows his stuff regarding Lincoln's. I finally convince him to join the forum, he can be an asset to many needing help, identifying parts, answering questions, and has a large variety of parts to sale. :smt006
OK. My bad. I just didn't get why he wants everyone to call him. Just post the answer here, so it's archived for future reference, but maybe he likes to talk. ?? lol
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru
Location: Travel the USA... Favorites are southern Ca. & Fla.

Post by John Cashman »

There are 4 places to find the VIN on a 61-67 Lincoln. Door plate. Fender apron right next to the exhaust manifold and slightly toward the firewall(same on left side) and the support bracket behind the grille... Very hard to see and find. That's it, no numbers on engine contrary to popular belief... That's a Chevy thing!
going4joe
Occasional Visitor

Post by going4joe »

Thanks John - I realize Im 6+ months late in responding here. Sorry! Really appreciate the info. I did find the VIN on the bracket behind the grille. I had to pull the radiator out of the car so I could get in there and "photograph" the VIN as well as do a tracing of the VIN - one of the many requirements of NJ DMV. And FYI - after 4 months of working with the NJ DMV and confirming that this vehicle in fact, was not titled elsewhere and was not stolen, I was able to secure a legal title. What a pain in the a$$ it was though! I would not recommend buying a vehicle with no title and no back up history to help you secure a title - DMV makes the process a living nightmare. I learned the hard way. Thanks to all of you who responded. I now have my Lincoln registered/insured and ready to get it mobile this Spring.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You better compare that VIN to the one on the inner apron. The front grille bracket could easily be from another car. They are commonly replaced with parts from other cars in minor front end accidents.
cudak888
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: 64 Continental VINs

Post by cudak888 »

What Dan said.

FYI, provided a car's VIN history is clear, Hollywood Title Inc. can provide a clean Florida title on a car without title for $350. Same service as GetNewTitle (Broadway), but much cheaper. hollywoodtitle@gmail.com - all VINs are checked before any process begins.

I'm currently getting my '72 Mustang titled through them, as it is an ex-NY car which was on a renewable registration, since lost. Car was last registered in 1991, owner died in 1994. NY denies having any records of the VIN in their archives, plus there are no records for the last 10 years in any database; the car is a ghost. Easy car to title this way.

-Kurt
Image Image Image

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”