64 Continental VINs

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

going4joe
Occasional Visitor

Re: 64 Continental VINs

Post by going4joe »

Dan - thanks for your concern regarding the VIN on the inside of the front grille, not matching the VIN on the fender. FYI: They match. So its correct to say the VIN appears in FOUR places on the 64 Continental. 1) Stamped into the front grille bracket, 2) printed on the factory plate that is factory riveted to door jam on drivers door, 3 and 4) in engine compartment, stamped into both left and right wheel wells, slightly towards the windshield of the car. With my car, some ass pulled the riveted plate off the door jam. And for some really odd reason, there is no VIN on the right front wheel well. No indication that it was every filed off or anything. However the VIN is on the grille bracket and also on the left wheel well. And they both match. Which is a good thing!
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru
Location: Travel the USA... Favorites are southern Ca. & Fla.

Post by John Cashman »

FYI these VIN locations are for all Lincolns 61-69. In 68-9 they started putting it on the dash visible from outside the car thru the windshield.
genezahas

Re: 64 Continental VIN #s

Post by genezahas »

John Cashman wrote:There are 4 places to find the VIN on a 61-67 Lincoln. Door plate. Fender apron right next to the exhaust manifold and slightly toward the firewall(same on left side) and the support bracket behind the grille... Very hard to see and find. That's it, no numbers on engine contrary to popular belief... That's a Chevy thing!
Hello John,
I purchased a '64 convertible in Washington State. California Highway Patrol cannot find VIN. Can you pinpoint which support bracket behind the grille: right outer, left outer, or center?
I'm in Oakland CA if you can travel here and try to find it.
Thanks,
Gene Zahas
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It was the center on my 66, but that bracket is easily replaced. Use only the stampings on the inner sidewalls.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

I believe the location is shown in the shop manual as well.
Which may not do any good for the buyer of one.
And here is a link which has the data and picture scanned from the '67 shop manual.
http://www.mercurystuff.com/pdfs/1967-l ... cation.pdf

I am surprised that a State's titling and registration department does not already have this data. It isn't like the vehicle is a pre-WWII Soviet Union vehicle.
I have brought several vehicles in all with title. And on a selective basis (or may be the state they came from) Arizona wanted to do a physical inspection of the vehicle. In those cases the state inspector had a book. Flipped to the page for year. make and model and found the location of the VIN. Then went to that location on the vehicle with a flash light, a rag and some cleaner. The allotted time was fifteen minutes because I asked. For my ride the guy was done in under 10 minutes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”