1964 Convertible Trunk Weatherstrip

Anything that pertains only to a convertible goes here. Such as: Top material, pads, mechanism, hydraulic pumps, switch and relay mechanisms, latches, etc.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

jdk64slab
Frequent Contributor

1964 Convertible Trunk Weatherstrip

Post by jdk64slab »

I'm in the market for new weatherstrip for my '64 LCC and I am getting confused as to what I need for the trunk. I know for the sedan it is just one piece that you can get for trunk, the convertibles seem to be several pieces. Before I go to far, some of my weatherstripping was missing and I did not tear off what was there when I brought it to the body shop. Can anyone tell me exactly how many pieces it requires for the trunk of a '64 convertible? I've checked Steele, Rubber the Right Way, Baker's, Lincoln Land, none show the weather strip for the convertible with the exception of Lincoln Land. L.L. has an 8-12 month lead on this for $285. Does anyone have part numbers for each piece?

Who is the best source for these weatherstrip parts? I do have some of the molded ends I'm just not sure if I have all of them. I've done the research on the other weatherstrip parts and am going with Steele for the door weatherstrip and Bakers for the other stuff Steele does not make but no one makes the convertible trunk strip except for L.L. and I've read bad reviews on the forum.

Any help is appreciated.
jdk64slab
Frequent Contributor

Re: 1964 Convertible Trunk Weatherstrip

Post by jdk64slab »

I've attached two photos to this, original weatherstrip and area which it goes.

Does anyone know where I can get these? None of the usual's have these listed on their sites.
Attachments
Small WS with Molded Ends
Small WS with Molded Ends
IMG_0389.JPG
IMG_03882.jpg
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru
Location: Travel the USA... Favorites are southern Ca. & Fla.

Post by John Cashman »

Try Rubber the right way or Jack Rosen at Mark II enterprises. They should have this piece... Froget Bakers...
jdk64slab
Frequent Contributor

Post by jdk64slab »

Just a quick update for people looking for these in the future, Rubber the Right Way did not carry these, although I bought majority of my other weatherstrip from them, Clayton is great to work with there. Jack at Mark Enterprises could get them but it was a 12 week lead, they came from "Best" which is were everyone else will get them from as well. In the end I ended up ordering them from Baker's as Jack at Mark Enterprises rubbed me the wrong way and their website is awful. Baker's quoted 4-6 weeks but we shall see, they also warned that some light sanding might be needed to get a good fit, they also stated as the others that the quality is not the greatest for these two pieces. I will try to post pics once I get them and also once I have them installed.
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru

Post by John Cashman »

Light sanding to get a good fit? Yea right... Try having to cut with a razor knife! That stuff is so bad I will not install it when my customers pull it out and say 'here, put this on please' You'll see what we mean...
jdk64slab
Frequent Contributor

Post by jdk64slab »

John,

If they all come from one manufacturer, whose do you use when your customers need them? Mark Enterprises admitted they get the same ones bakers gets. Mine are so far gone what other options are there?

Would generic WS be better?
jdk64slab
Frequent Contributor

Post by jdk64slab »

Well, the ones from Baker's were not the pieces I was looking for, they bolt onto the rear panel that is attached to the top, I needed these as well so I've kept them, as John Cashman wrote, they are not the best quality but I have no choice.

So, back to the two that I do need, I am still looking for the two roughly 6" pieces that go along side the flipper panel but are attached to the body of the car. See pictures above, anyone with a parts car out there have any that are salvageable?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

There is no way those parts are any good on my parts car. Eaten any years ago.
John Cashman
Lincoln Guru

Post by John Cashman »

Try LincolnLand
jdk64slab
Frequent Contributor

Post by jdk64slab »

I wanted to rehash this post again as I still do not have a great solution for these two W/S pieces. See photos above. I've exhausted my search for new ones so I'll ask, has anyone used modern W/S in this area? If you have, could you post a few pictures of what you used and what it looks like on the car? Anyone that has restored a convertible, what did you use?

Only have a few small projects left and I will finally have the car back on the road. Just want to get the trunk sealed up in case I ever get stuck out in the rain.

Thanks for your help.
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

I used new weatherstripping on the area in question for my 65 for the same reasons you have mentioned. I have not been driving or parking in the rain so I'm not sure if it watertight. But its better? than nothing (I hope). I bought various types of W/S from Rubber the right way and experimented. I will take photos this weekend and post.
Robert DeFrang
jdk64slab
Frequent Contributor

Post by jdk64slab »

Thanks Robert pictures would be appreciated.
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

I looked thru the catalog and choose these W/S shapes. I have been recently sidetracked by a faulty hydraulic top system. So finishing the W/S has been temporarily delayed.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 9.41.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 9.42.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 9.42.36 PM.png
Robert DeFrang
epbendel1
Frequent Contributor

Post by epbendel1 »

Good news! I spoke with an engineer at Steele Rubber and he said they are working on new convertible weather strips with molded ends for the 64 LCC at least. Likely they also will be offering those for other models. First they will be offering a new weatherstrip for the a-pillars on the convertibles within a few weeks. The trunk weatherstrip will follow. Stay tuned.
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

Finally. Steele Rubber made a perfect fit for the convertible trunk weatherstripping on a 64-65!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 8.57.52 AM.png
Robert DeFrang

Return to “Convertibles, Convertibles, Convertibles”