New LCOC directory anyone else notice all the screw ups ??

This public area is set aside as a courtesy for the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club and the Lincoln Motor Car Foundation for topics specifically related to the them. Inquiries can be made by non-members concerning the two organizations here. All mention and reference to the LCOC is allowed under fair-use laws. TLF.Net is not affiliated with the LCOC or LMCF in any way and the messages posted here do not reflect the views of the LCOC or TLF.Net. Members who wish to post private messages to or about the LCOC may do so in the Private LCOC Forum.

Moderator: LCOC Moderators

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: New LCOC directory anyone else notice all the screw ups

Post by Dan Szwarc »

AussieMarkV wrote:I got mine and was amazed to have to scroll through 83 pages of garbage to get to the membership listing.
You just don't know how to use it. It has the bylaws and rules of the club. As for finding members, if you want to look someone up, you search by name to get their state or country.
Then you go to the state or country and get their address.
It may interest some, but I see no point listing every car that has won every trophy since it's inception. If this must appear just list the current winner.
No offense, but give the winners credit. It also serves as a historical document.
I wonder whether its possible to offer the choice of disk or USB stick as a USB would be easier to travel with and you could download the list to - for instance - a MacBook Pro like mine which has no disk drive.
It's possible. They did send this on CD/DVD a few years ago to international members to save on postage. They HATED it. I think secure download through the website could be an option in the future... some day.

This is the thinnest directory in 24 years.
AussieMarkV
Lincoln Maniac

Post by AussieMarkV »

All fair points Dan. Mine came as a DVD or CD and is certainly thin :-)
An Aussie guy who loves cars.

1978 Silcco four door convertible (to be restored).
WhiteLightning
Frequent Contributor

Post by WhiteLightning »

Aussi. I think it's fine to list the winners. Most of the winners spent a lot of time and hard work to get there cars to the level to win and that should be commended and there are some that won just cause of friendships. I have no problem with how it is set up just pages 73 on up are screwed up

And I think it should stay a hard copy. I pay dues for hard copy's if they go digital I will cancel my membership period
1956 Continental Mark II
1969 Continental Mark III
1979 Mark V collectors series triple white
1982 Mark VI 4-door signature series pewter
1982 Mark VI 2-door signature series triple red

No man is an island, some man are peninsulas
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

I've been listed each year since joining. This year -- poof! --. How about knocking five bucks off my membership fee for next year for anyone else so afflicted?
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
WhiteLightning
Frequent Contributor

Post by WhiteLightning »

Talk with John McCarthy hey might be able to do something. You pay money for a good mag and directory and being able to meet others. And anything in print should be looks at highly cause that's what others see first
1956 Continental Mark II

CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

I just emailed him. Will see what he says.
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Got a prompt reply. It was my fault. I checked the privacy boxes (reflexively, since I get so much spam and robo-calls these days) without reading the fine print:
<< †† Both the LCOC and Cornerstone Registration, Ltd. respect your privacy. We will not share your information with any third-party for commercial gain. However, the LCOC may authorize the distribution of your name, address, and vehicle information for club-related activities and literature (such as local meets and the annual Membership Directory). At your option, you may elect to keep your phone number and/or address private. Note, however, that if you do elect to keep your address private, you will NOT be included in the annual Membership Directory. >> Dang, I hate when that happens!
Sheepishly,
Your Captain
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

You are most welcome, happy to help.
Thank you for being a member of LCOC!

Heading to the Eastern National Meet in PA in June???? Hope so.

Here is the info:
2015 Eastern National Meet
Lincolns and Continentals in the Brandywine Valley
June 10 - 14, 2015
Glenn Mills, Pennsylvania
Hosted by the Philadelphia Region

Lodging available: Wyndham Garden Hotel
1110 Baltimore Pike, Glenn Mills PA, 19342
(866) 460-7456 (toll free)
Room Rate - $109 per night
Reservation Code - "Lincoln Club"

H: (609) 284-6425
E: mrigg.techguy@gmail.com
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
cosmo51

Post by cosmo51 »

I can't comment on the Directory as I was sent a disc that I have no equipment to view it on. When I asked for a printed copy I was told that it would cost $26. So, I'm no longer able to consult a Directory to see who else has a Cosmopolitan that I can consult with.
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

cosmo51 wrote:I can't comment on the Directory as I was sent a disc that I have no equipment to view it on. When I asked for a printed copy I was told that it would cost $26. So, I'm no longer able to consult a Directory to see who else has a Cosmopolitan that I can consult with.
Cosmo, you have no disc drive?? You could always go to the library and then print what you need.
Where are you located??
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
WhiteLightning
Frequent Contributor

Post by WhiteLightning »

It shouldn't matter if he has or doesn't have a disc drive and he shouldn't have to rely on the library. If he is a member of the LCOC he gets a hard copy period. Even more since they have it all screwed up
1956 Continental Mark II

CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

White Lightning, last year you said you'd drop out if the directory went digital. What's your feeling now, a year later? I just got the March issue, with its announcement that there would be no printed directory this year or ever again. Strangely, LCOC is doing away with print for the directory, yet increasing its commitment to print by making the magazine full color (i.e., color on every page with illustrations, not just the covers and selected pages). To me this seems like doubling down. And in a year where the dues went from $42 to $48. $42 is expensive but $48 to me doesn't seem like only $6 more, it feels different. It feels like $50, which is half a hundred. And half a Benjamin is a lot of money. I want to support the club, I really do, but I'm bummed about the directory. I've sent Dan $20 twice to support the forum and felt it was money well spent both times. I'll probably do it again. This forum delivers real value to me. LCOC, much as I like many of the people, seems old, tired and behind the time as a club.
The Studebaker Drivers Club has a no-magazine option that lets you stay in the club for $10. With the magazine it's only $30 or so, I think. But I wasn't getting much out of the mag so I dropped it. If LCOC had the same option, I'd be there.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The directory is very expensive to print. It's a major cost.

I'm only in the club to attend meets. I don't even read the magazine anymore.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

"I'm only in the club to attend meets. I don't even read the magazine anymore."

Me too.

I never read the articles; always just looked at the pretty pictures.
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

One of the justifications for killing the directory is one that people have used to kill print directories for a long time "it's out of date as soon as it's printed." Well, people do move, but I think less frequently than the printed directory foes think. However, that critique applies to the magazine as well. "Legislative Spotlights" is one of my favorite features (I'd like to see ethanol reform and single-license-plate laws everywhere) but the first thing I do is go online and see the CURRENT status of the bills discussed. In some cases, they're already dead. That feature would be far better, I think, as an on-the-website page.
And Stu, news flash: Playboy dropped those pictures months ago... :-(

Return to “Public LCOC & LMCF-Related Discussion”