Do younger members care about Facebook, Twitter, etc.?

This public area is set aside as a courtesy for the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club and the Lincoln Motor Car Foundation for topics specifically related to the them. Inquiries can be made by non-members concerning the two organizations here. All mention and reference to the LCOC is allowed under fair-use laws. TLF.Net is not affiliated with the LCOC or LMCF in any way and the messages posted here do not reflect the views of the LCOC or TLF.Net. Members who wish to post private messages to or about the LCOC may do so in the Private LCOC Forum.

Moderator: LCOC Moderators

DomDom
Occasional Visitor

Re: Do younger members care about Facebook, Twitter, etc.?

Post by DomDom »

As a 33 year old I definitely think that there is an application to have this site linked to Facebook and or Twitter. The way that I see it is that the wealth of information obviously must reside within this site. However I think that FB or Twitter could potentially attract additional members which could attract additional money for this site. This could be achieved in a variety of ways. First this site could (although I don't necessarily agree with it) charge a fee to be a member. Alternatively perhaps this site could charge a small nominal fee (say $10/year) to people who which to become new members who as of January 2012 were not previously members. Perhaps the site could charge a fee for all members who are not actual Lincoln owners (may be difficult to administrate)

In addition additional member (paying a yearly fee or not) could potentially help out the site in a variety of ways. 1) there may be additional sales of Manuals purchased from Dan Szwarc, 2) The for sale area could get a few more views and 3) some new members may have significant knowledge about other cars that could help us with some Lincoln issues.

Just my thoughts for now. The reality is that it is very inexpensive to run a FB or twitter account, once it is set up it is easy to maintain, and there is always the potential of attracting new members.

Dom
Dominique Dow
Extremely proud owner of a 1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible
kevlemo
Frequent Contributor

Post by kevlemo »

Facebook now has over 700 million members worldwide. Here are some stats:

http://socialmediatoday.com/kenburbary/ ... statistics

Over a quarter of Facebookers are over 35. I think having a Facebook presence is a great idea, and if you're going to do Facebook you might as well do Twitter also as there are tools that let you publish posts to both sites at the same time. I would imagine posting events, interesting forum discussions, welcoming new members, linking to Lincoln related web pages, picts, or videos, etc. Google gives social network posts a lot of credibility so it may help increase traffic (and therefore participation) on the site.

One thing to think about is maybe running regular contests or features like "Show us your ride" or "Junkyard finds," ways to encourage people to interact even if they're not working on a particular technical issue at the time.
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Highlander Green / Palomino Tan
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

"If you are under 50, you are considered young in LCOC membership terms."

I guess in February I'm gonna be old....... :(
Highlander64
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Highlander64 »

Dan Szwarc wrote:Makes sense. The existence of an online presence has changed in the last few years. Instead of a prominent website people have to visit, it makes more sense to have a Facebook account, post an update that links to a page on one's website.

Don't expect the LCOC to post the pics on Facebook, though.
Twitter can, when used well, function similarly to an RSS feed, a news aggregator with snippets of commentary. Putting LCOC related items (links to articles, abstracts, photos) into the Twitter and facebook brings LCOC top of mind rather than being an "oh yeah" afterthought.

FWIW I'm a 5 year membership LCOC member, about to turn 35, and am a member of the '61-'69 Lincoln Suicide and Lincoln Continental - Slab Side groups on facebook.
Chris
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible, Highlander Green/White/Beige Pearl
1970 Mustang Boss 429, Grabber Orange/Black Deluxe
1983 F-250, see-through windows and real rubber tires
1998 Jaguar XJ8 BRG/Oatmeal - the 44,000 mile $1,000 dog hauler
Highlander64
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Highlander64 »

Ken Stevens wrote:I like to check Jalopnik occasionally, but I also "like" them on facebook, so a new article will show up in a facebook post as a link. Twitter is so full of useless garbage posts that I no longer participate in that. But that's all just my humble opinion.
Don't follow people (or more likely spambots) that post garbage.

My feed is predominantly auto-related since I have mostly auto journalists and race teams in my feed. There are the random bored tweets that are sometimes fun to read and other times induce a cringe or momentary WTF but those are few and far between. It's the same GIGO as an other field - if you don't let the garbage into your feed, you won't get garbage out of it.
Chris
1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible, Highlander Green/White/Beige Pearl
1970 Mustang Boss 429, Grabber Orange/Black Deluxe
1983 F-250, see-through windows and real rubber tires
1998 Jaguar XJ8 BRG/Oatmeal - the 44,000 mile $1,000 dog hauler
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

What the club needs is someone OTHER THAN ME, to use facebook and twiiter to bring new members into the club.

I can't do it all.
gkramer47
Former LCOC Pres.

Post by gkramer47 »

dan,

It's on the board agenda under Website Committee, so you get to figure just how to do it...good luck, see you next week!.

Glenn Kramer
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The LCOC's official Facebook page has been created. It is here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lincoln- ... 7551668032

I had one for the Michigan Region, but I converted it to be the LCOC's.
gkramer47
Former LCOC Pres.

Post by gkramer47 »

Dan,

Thanks for the quick turn around! Nice work at the board meeting.

Glenn Kramer
JimFreeh
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimFreeh »

Stuart M. Cohen wrote:"If you are under 50, you are considered young in LCOC membership terms."

I guess in February I'm gonna be old....... :(

Old is relative...

The older you are, the older younger gets.

Jim
Jim Freeh
Tidewater, VA.
64 Lincoln Convertible (bought in 74)
and lots of other cars...
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Reviving this thread to let everyone know that the LCOC Western Region now has Twitter and tumblr accounts, as well as a Facebook page. I'm a newbie with all of these things, so please be patient with me as I learn how to manage these sites.
If anyone here has any tips for any of the sites, please let me know.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
mr.niftie
Frequent Contributor

Post by mr.niftie »

linc64 wrote:I like Nick Sanford's site.
http://thelincolnnetwork.com/
Hopefully you're working with him.
Also, the Western Region has a Facebook site. You can talk to Jeremy about that.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lincoln-a ... 2618840567
I won't comment as to whether Facebook or Twitter is important to me since I'm not a younger member.
i couldn't get the lincoln network accessed. is it still up and running?
1973 Lincoln Mark IV Silver Edition, full load
2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid RIP
"They even have the Internet for computers now."
Homer Simpson
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Two things: first, you said you're using a complex template. I hope the new website is being done with WordPress. It makes updating so easy. Second, I do think twitter and Facebook links make sense, however, there are some pitfalls. As a way to draw people in, educate them about LCOC and TLF, cheer people on and let them post pictures without having to reduce their file size, great. But I have seen on the Facebook Lincoln Continental -- Slab Side page (271 members) a lot of back-and-forth on technical info that is redundant and then lost to the ages. Several people on that page, including me, try to redirect the discussion to this forum because (a) the answers are often here already and (b) they are searchable for all eternity (thanks, Dan). Having multiple outlets for this info is inefficient, IMHO. I just don't think it makes sense for FB to be a place where people say, "hey, what's this wire for?" Some of this may be generational. Old farts like me think "what is the best way to organize information?" (Maps are in atlases, definitions are in dictionaries.) Millennial generation people just Google everything. Hope this helps.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I've come to the conclusion that Facebook, Twitter, et al, can go fuck themselves. I don't need to see drivel, etc. nor do I need to follow anyone or read about the junk. I guess I could drop all my friends and use it sparingly for things I'm interested in, but it's mostly noise and spam.

I guess that makes me officially old.

Get off my lawn!
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

There's already a group on facebook for Lincoln Continentals. One thing that bothers me is when I post on that group, it also shows on my news feed and is posted so all my facebook friends see it. Some of the tech questions and pics can get pretty boring for non-car folks. So I support your decision.
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible

Return to “Public LCOC & LMCF-Related Discussion”