Future LCOC Web Site Features: Updated

This public area is set aside as a courtesy for the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club and the Lincoln Motor Car Foundation for topics specifically related to the them. Inquiries can be made by non-members concerning the two organizations here. All mention and reference to the LCOC is allowed under fair-use laws. TLF.Net is not affiliated with the LCOC or LMCF in any way and the messages posted here do not reflect the views of the LCOC or TLF.Net. Members who wish to post private messages to or about the LCOC may do so in the Private LCOC Forum.

Moderator: LCOC Moderators

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Future LCOC Web Site Features: Updated

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Mr. Kramer has tasked me to help bring the LCOC's web site into the 21st century. To help make it more usable, worthwhile, and dynamic, I am asking LCOC members who visit this forum to give me some ideas and links on what we can have on our site.

The first few things are pretty obvious: we need integration with our membership company for logging in and connecting. The best features will have to be limited to the membership of the LCOC. Sorry, public.

Second, our president and possibly other managers will have the ability to post messages. Members will be able to provide comments and feedback on those messages.

Third, a chat room, possibly tied back to the forum. Perhaps weekly or monthly scheduled chats?

A member picture gallery is high on my list. Like car domain.

What other ideas do people have?
wkerfoot
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need ideas for future LCOC Web Site Features

Post by wkerfoot »

Dan,

You might take a look at airforums.com. It has everything you mentioned.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot
1977 Continental
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon
1979 23' Airstream Safari
1954 Double Door 29' Airstream Liner
Orange, CA
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

There is another forum I visit that is open to the public for posts, but in order to do a search you need to be a member. This way it brings in new folks constantly, but could offer privileges to LCOC members

also

I mis de spel chek.

Thanks for all your help Dan :smt006
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

I think a ' member car video section' would be a good idea as digital cameras are being used more and more. Add to that a more general video section for footage taken by members at shows & auctions, and cool classic car videos they find on the web. Members could simply post links to their blogs, YouTube, photobucket, Facebook etc.
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Good ideas so far.
I'm for just about anything as long as the site ends up with a clean and uncluttered look and is simple to navigate around in.
toddallen wrote:I mis de spel chek.
Todd, when I have a misspelled word in my draft they are underlined in red. Is there a spell check that offers the correct spelling?
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Shawn B has offered to make all TSBs available to the club. He said they have not been digitized and take up shelves of space. If we put forth a massive effort to scan them we could make them available to all LCOC members.

That would be a great start for a technical database.
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

toddallen wrote:There is another forum I visit that is open to the public for posts, but in order to do a search you need to be a member. This way it brings in new folks constantly, but could offer privileges to LCOC members

also

I mis de spel chek.

Thanks for all your help Dan :smt006
Doesn't Firefox have a built-in spell checker? ;) If you read my thread on the attempted upgrade, you'll see that all has not been easy in Internet-land. Besides, your comment is related to this forum and the not national LCOC site. It is also a good suggestion.
ReijerLincoln wrote:I think a ' member car video section' would be a good idea as digital cameras are being used more and more.
Good suggestion. However, youtube already gives you this.
Barry Wolk wrote:Shawn B has offered to make all TSBs available to the club. He said they have not been digitized and take up shelves of space. If we put forth a massive effort to scan them we could make them available to all LCOC members.

I would love to get my hands on those. I can scan them at work easily. How can we work this out?
Jmcbain
Occasional Visitor

Post by Jmcbain »

Pictures & Vid would be great since the current site doesn't even have the photos from the 2008 meets. Also, there should be some Regions news and events linked to the site. The club needs to reach out to young people and have things such as "lincoln nights" Its great to see photos of the old timers at the grand old opera and all but it doesn't create interest for the club among younger owners. How about some pictures and vid of some slab sides cruising the coolest spots in the USA???
How about some tech-
'how to" video from John Cashman and Bakers????
Constant emails for events, registration to have or plan an event and regional discout codes to your regions favorite vendors.

Basically you should want to join the club after visiting the site.

Landshark65 :smt004
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You make a video, and I will get it on the site. However, because video is huge storage-wise, I would rather do a high-def youtube link and embed it in the website.

We have no shortage of people who DON'T submit pictures for the website. In the Michigan Region, there are only two others who EVER send me pictures to put on the website. If it wasn't for me, there would be NOTHING to show of our events.
JimLinc62
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by JimLinc62 »

Compaint:
Jmcbain wrote:Its great to see photos of the old timers at the grand old opera and all
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 (ouch!)

Solution: Organize a national meet in March at Panama City Beach, FL for Spring Break. No shortage of honey's, tons of free swag and NO FAT LADY'S SINGIN! How many bro's B down wit dat?
Jmcbain wrote:How about some tech-'how to" video from John Cashman and Bakers????
If they would agree to do it, that would be cool. Good suggestion :smt023
1962 Convertible
Sultana White/Light Honey Beige
A/C - Tinted Glass - Auto Headlight Dimmer - Pwr. Seat 6-way - Elec. Ant.
Build Date: 02/06
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

In addition to ideas, I also need volunteers to help implement it. ;)
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

Doesn't Firefox have a built-in spell checker? ;) If you read my thread on the attempted upgrade, you'll see that all has not been easy in Internet-land. Besides, your comment is related to this forum and the not national LCOC site. It is also a good suggestion.
Sorry, I did not read that thread and know it was a royal pain for the upgrade. I do have Firefox at home, but need to use MS Explorer at work because of compatibility with other work web sites, so no spell check then.

The forum is definitely a good place to get newer members, and links to vids and pictures would be great. An area for personalized car related blogs (or links to them) for restorations and customization would also be cool. I do agree with the magazine issues, pages of old folks with trophies lined up in a row are not going to bring in new enthusiasts. I want to see the people with the cars, not a line up.
Last edited by toddallen on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
Barry Wolk
TLFer for Life

Post by Barry Wolk »

Dan Szwarc wrote:
Barry Wolk wrote:Shawn B has offered to make all TSBs available to the club. He said they have not been digitized and take up shelves of space. If we put forth a massive effort to scan them we could make them available to all LCOC members.

I would love to get my hands on those. I can scan them at work easily. How can we work this out?
I don't know if the TSBs can leave the building. How would you do it at your office, if they could?

Aren't there companies that copy documents in bulk?
'56 Mark II convertible, '51 Royal Spartanette, '56 Chris Craft Continental
'68 Lincoln Continental Limo, '77 Town Car, '55 356 Porsche Continental cabrio,
'69 Mark III convertible,'88 BMW 750iL, '88 BMW 325iX, '97 BMW Z-3, '98 ML-320

My newest car is 15 years old!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Barry Wolk wrote:I don't know if the TSBs can leave the building. How would you do it at your office, if they could?

Aren't there companies that copy documents in bulk?
They are no good to anyone if we can't get them out of the building. Photocopying them there is probably not an option.

If they in loose-leaf (page separated) form, I can run them through the sheet-feeder and scan hundreds of pages in minutes, even double sided. The copier will scan them and email me a PDF that I can put on a memory stick and put on the website.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Just got back from vacation and am catching up. I like Todd's idea about limiting searches to LCOC members. I mentioned somewhere before that the national should link this site to their site and use it as an incentive to join the national.

As for help, let me know what you need done and I'll do whatever I can.

Return to “Public LCOC & LMCF-Related Discussion”