More information on LCOC.

This public area is set aside as a courtesy for the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club and the Lincoln Motor Car Foundation for topics specifically related to the them. Inquiries can be made by non-members concerning the two organizations here. All mention and reference to the LCOC is allowed under fair-use laws. TLF.Net is not affiliated with the LCOC or LMCF in any way and the messages posted here do not reflect the views of the LCOC or TLF.Net. Members who wish to post private messages to or about the LCOC may do so in the Private LCOC Forum.

Moderator: LCOC Moderators

Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

More information on LCOC.

Post by Bob Hubbard »

I don't claim to have all the answers for the operation of LCOC in the future, but I DO feel I can offer some positive direction.
Stu asked for some imput from non-members so, here goes.
These things I have outlined below will take time, but that in no way means they can't be implimented.
To begin with, anual dues should be raised, both at the national and regional levels.
Insist that THIS forum be the one online source for technical information.
This forum should be a "link" from the LCOC home page.
This forum is where Lincoln and Continental owners congrigate.
Provide hands on tech support through this forum as well as video instruction to help the most troubled owner through a difficult task.
All regional directors must attend a national meeting at club headquarters once a year to discuss club future directions.
A once a year national convention (held in a different city each year) where those members wanting to attend , can.
Hotel, transportation, events and meetings over a three day period arrainged by the club.
Regional activities include club literature as well as registration forms for potential new members.
At all regional activities, club memorabilla should be offered to furthur promote the club, (ie.) Tshirts, bumper stickers, decals,.
Perhaps at the regional level, an area could be set aside for parts sales.
Fair judging among many classes must be implimented nationally and locally.
One example I want to give here.
Suppose I want to bring my unfinished convertible to a show with the engine and transmission out of the car.
The reason being, I want to show a "work in progress", and offer my beautifully re-done engine bay as an example.
Let fellow members see and learn just what is involved in a particular task.
Bring your car that has no interior to show how you welded in new floor boards, and what was involved.
These are things fellow owners would appreciate, not some glamor magazine that only shows the finished project.
Tell me you have never been asked, "How'd you do that"?
My answer is , show them as the work is being done.
If trophys are that important to you, there could be judging for the most inovative work done or in the process of being done.
As owners, we live and breathe these cars, and being able to acess the in's and out's of any task performed on them would be most valuable to all of us.
These are but a few suggestions for the new direction the club would be wise to focus on.
There are many others.
Bob.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Bob,

Join the LCOC and then I'll read your post.

Seriously.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Bob,

You have some good ideas there.

I don't believe there is a national headquarters like the AACA.

There is a link on the front page of the national site to the forum. I think there was a problem with national formally endorsing us as "the" forum of the LCOC. Dan did a lot of work to get us where we are today, which is much further than where we were before. This problem, which I don't fully understand, is stupid, especially since the AACA has a forum. Hopefully in time, this could happen.

All regional directors are supposed to attend a national meeting. It's held each year in January. Also, there is a meeting at the Mid America meet that anyone can attend. In fact, I think anyone can attend the annual meeting; you can only be recognized to speak at either one only if you are a board member.

I think if you are a member of the local region, they provide some financial support for meeting attendance. Again, I think each region does their own thing.

Each region does have a "project", where the sell something Lincoln related. This is shown in Comments. Each region also has a newsletter, but as I said above, each region does their own thing. If you don't join the region, you don't get their newsletter. I don't know what the Philly region newsletter is like, since I'm not a member. I do know what my regional AACA newsletter is like, 'cause I get one.

Since a lot of this stuff is "region dependent", I can't comment on what your local does. Also, you don't have to be a member of your geographic region if you don't want. I'm not all that familiar with California, but if you feel closer (personally and geographically) with the Arizona region, join them. I think the only problem is that you can't vote or hold an office. You'd need to check that out.

I am curious as to why you feel the dues should be raised. My thoughts are that since we are trying to attract new members, why out price ourselves?

So, while some of the things you are looking for need to be addressed, see what you're missing by not being a member? Maybe you should join the national first, then pick a region you like. Or, better yet, drum up enough support to form a region that's closer to you.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The national headquarters would be the meeting in January for the national board.
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

Stu, the reason I would want to see the dues raised is because events cost money, news letters cost money, advertisements cost money.
The treasury needs to have substantial reserve to pay unforseen expenses.
Memorabilla cost money to produce.
I would expect each and every piece of memorabilla would be top grade.
If it is clothes, Kmart will not do.
If it is metal plaques, cheap tin will not do.
If it is decals, those that fade in a month or two will not do.
Quality cost, and that money must come from somewhere.
It would be my intention to give each member one of each , when becomming a member.
Sales of these items at events would generate some profit, but with increased dues, the cost of these items given to members would come from the general fund.
That is the reason for the increased dues.
You stated that it may deterr new people from joining.
My feeling is, people will spend if they feel they are getting their money's worth.
Bob.
W. Higgins
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by W. Higgins »

Bob Hubbard wrote: The treasury needs to have substantial reserve to pay unforseen expenses.

What is the current reserve in the treasury?
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

W. Higgins wrote:
Bob Hubbard wrote: The treasury needs to have substantial reserve to pay unforseen expenses.

Walter, as a non- member presently, I am not privy to that information, and I doubt the adverage member knows the answer too that question.
It sure would be interesting to know though.
Bob.
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

Dan Szwarc wrote:Bob, Join the LCOC and then I'll read your post. Seriously.
Point well taken. I am a member of LCOC and I agree with Bob's post. If you want me to cut and paste his note under my signature then consider it done in a friendly way.
What Bob is talking about is a value proposition. He is suggesting that LCOC increase its value to all Lincoln owners (whether members or not). He goes even further in suggesting a proactive dues increase; that I am ambivalent about. I would say that if LCOC did all the things he suggests, the value of membership would increase dramatically. :grin:
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Bob Hubbard wrote:
W. Higgins wrote:
Walter, as a non- member presently, I am not privy to that information, and I doubt the adverage member knows the answer too that question.
Bob.
Such a question would not ever be made public to non-members and is held to upper board members. I assure you that the treasury is significant as are its expenses. $36 times 3600 members means they bring in $129,000 each year. I've heard what the magazine costs, but I don't remember. Postage alone is insane.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Increasing dues will not help bring in new members. Even with a lot more money has to come the volunteers (perhaps paid) to do the work to use the money.

I pay for a 5-year membership to save some bucks. Plus it reduces the hassle of renewing every year. I'm good through 2009.
jsanford
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by jsanford »

I don't think raising dues would increase membership, and would probably turn some current members away.

In order to provide all-expense paid conventions and meets and free mercndise the dues would have to be $1k per year, it is just not realistic. We already have three "conventions" called National Meets every year, they are just not all-expenses paid. We have club merchandise, they are called region projects and are availible by mail. For what we pay I think that Continental Comments, the directory, judging standards, and regional support are sufficient.

Jeremy
LCOC Western Region Webmaster & Northern CA Activities Coordinator.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: More information on LCOC.

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Bob Hubbard wrote:I don't claim to have all the answers for the operation of LCOC in the future, but I DO feel I can offer some positive direction.
Stu asked for some imput from non-members so, here goes.
These things I have outlined below will take time, but that in no way means they can't be implimented.
To begin with, anual dues should be raised, both at the national and regional levels.
Raise them to do what?
Bob Hubbard wrote:Insist that THIS forum be the one online source for technical information.
Other forums may disagree. I think that the LCOC should encourage online discussion on all venues. The new LCOC web site does this.
Bob Hubbard wrote:This forum should be a "link" from the LCOC home page. This forum is where Lincoln and Continental owners congrigate.
See Comment above.
Bob Hubbard wrote:Provide hands on tech support through this forum as well as video instruction to help the most troubled owner through a difficult task.
I would LOVE to have some of the really experienced LCOC members here. I've been trying for years.
Bob Hubbard wrote:All regional directors must attend a national meeting at club headquarters once a year to discuss club future directions.
Already being done. The next one is in Atlanta. The last one was in Vegas. If I get elected, I will be going.
Bob Hubbard wrote:A once a year national convention (held in a different city each year) where those members wanting to attend , can.
Hotel, transportation, events and meetings over a three day period arranged by the club.
Currently, the annual meeting is all business. Meetings and discussion, voting on rules changes, etc. I think it is a two-day affair. All travel and hotel arrangements are the responsibility of the members.
Bob Hubbard wrote:Regional activities include club literature as well as registration forms for potential new members.
At all regional activities, club memorabilla should be offered to furthur promote the club, (ie.) Tshirts, bumper stickers, decals,.
Perhaps at the regional level, an area could be set aside for parts sales.
Many regions do this to one extent or another. But the regions are not controlled by national, merely guided or encouraged.
Bob Hubbard wrote:Fair judging among many classes must be implimented nationally and locally.
We could have a whole thread or even a forum dedicated to just discussing judging. National considers it being too critical to even discuss judging standards or lack thereof. No discussion means no progress to me.
Bob Hubbard wrote:One example I want to give here.
Suppose I want to bring my unfinished convertible to a show with the engine and transmission out of the car.
The reason being, I want to show a "work in progress", and offer my beautifully re-done engine bay as an example.
Let fellow members see and learn just what is involved in a particular task.
Bring your car that has no interior to show how you welded in new floor boards, and what was involved.
These are things fellow owners would appreciate, not some glamor magazine that only shows the finished project.
Tell me you have never been asked, "How'd you do that"?
My answer is , show them as the work is being done.
Currently, one can do this under the auspices of the so-called Exhibition class. The only problem with it is you pay the same amount that a judged car does to be on the field ($35) and you get nothing in return except a place to park. Exhibition vehicles only pad the treasury for the nicer cars to get nicer trophys.
Bob Hubbard wrote:If trophys are that important to you, there could be judging for the most inovative work done or in the process of being done.
I would like to see different categories such as most improved, or biggest challenge, etc. It would be a token trophy, but would be eligible for something bigger if turned in years later after winning a major award.
Bob Hubbard wrote:As owners, we live and breathe these cars, and being able to access the in's and out's of any task performed on them would be most valuable to all of us.
These are but a few suggestions for the new direction the club would be wise to focus on.
There are many others.
Bob.
Many good suggestions, Bob. I think you should download an application and send it in. You have a lot of good ideas and seem to be motivated. What are you waiting for?

I looked at our directory and counted 21 members in LA alone. Ready to start your own region?
W. Higgins
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by W. Higgins »

Bob Hubbard wrote:
W. Higgins wrote:

Bob.

Exactly my point. It is irresponsible to make such a suggestion without knowing any of the facts. You really should flip through an issue of Continental Comments and the front of the club directory. Most everything of which you have spoken is covered in there.
Nick Ricci
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Nick Ricci »

I dont think there are such things as an irresponsible suggestion I think the only irresponsible thing you can do in a car club (that some think may be in trouble) is not make suggestions people are just trying to drum up some brain storming.

Im all for raising the dues like 3 bucks and sending out a nice clean looking LCOC decal that people would be proud to put on there cars, I for one looked into the club on the internet because someone had bought and put a LCOC sticker on there lincoln at a car show, I never met the owner but it got me thinking....or maybe even better yet raise the rates 10 bucks, maybe just for the first year of someones membership and send out grill badges the key thing here is people need to know of the club and thats a cheap easy way to do it. Plus I for one would be proud to display my membership.
2002 Jeep Wrangler
1965 Lincoln Continental
1956 Chris-Craft Sportsman 17' 287 AMC v8
W. Higgins
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by W. Higgins »

DarkLincoln 65 wrote:I dont think there are such things as an irresponsible suggestion
You'll make an excellent candidate for the United States Congress someday.

Return to “Public LCOC & LMCF-Related Discussion”