Common Automotive terms and traditional meanings

This forum is for discussion of those terms we see in car ads and articles that can be misleading, misunderstood, or misused. The goal is to arrive at definitions we all can agree upon.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Common Automotive terms and traditional meanings

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I thought of this when I was reading Stu's thread about his T-Bird. I thought it would be good to put in some terms for people to help describe their problems. I've been doing car stuff for 20 years now and I want to make sure younger people use the proper terms.

Won't start: The car turns over/cranks, but won't START. Starting is the process of transitioning from cranking to running.

Tries to start or turns over: The crank rotates, there is sparking occurring and fuel mixture is ignited, but the engine just doesn't catch or take over (start).

Won't run: Car starts, but won't run unassisted. Feathering of gas pedal required to keep engine from stalling. AKA won't idle.

Feathering: Gently moving the accelerator pedal in and out/back and forth. This activates the accelerator pump and sends more fuel into the intake.

Cranking: The engine turns over (start engages and rotates the crankshaft). Cranking is required for a car to start unless you are roll-starting a car with a manual transmission.

What others can you think of that people commonly mis-use?