The Term "Rat Rod"

This forum is for discussion of those terms we see in car ads and articles that can be misleading, misunderstood, or misused. The goal is to arrive at definitions we all can agree upon.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

The Term "Rat Rod"

Post by TonyC »

This has been used since before my existence, I know; but what the hell is it?
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: The Term "Rat Rod"

Post by 66Lincoupe »

It was just a traditional hot rod, sixties style, the way someone with a very limited budget would build it. Usually it was built from stuff laying around. Now it seems that anything with a flat black paint job, red wheels and holes in the muffler is being called a rat rod.

I spent a ton of time at the 2008 AutoRama in the "basement" where the traditional rodders are. These guys are a blast. It has become a lifestyle, primer and sweat. They look gosh-awful sometimes, but if you need ANYTHING someone is there to lend a hand, a wrench, or a part lickety-split. They are proof that you don't need a hundred-thousand dollar car to be a part of something good.
Rob
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

I would say a "Rat Rod" is not even worthy of being compared to a real "Hot Rod". I don't know but the "Rat" part makes me think "Ratty" as in low quality.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
PinkLinc
Lincoln Maniac

Post by PinkLinc »

Just because something isn't dripping in billet doesn't mean it's low quality. Some of the coolest and most creative cars I've ever seen have been "Rats".
John Doyle a.k.a. PinkLinc

1962 Continental (Sophie - the 49 year old gold diggin' bitch that lives halfway across town)
2002 MINI Cooper S Daily Driver

"I've spent most of my money on cars, women and booze... the rest I just wasted."
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

I like this ironic 'rat rod' truck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w02Q_x6M2w

That cork is the coolest accessory ever.
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

ReijerLincoln wrote:I like this ironic 'rat rod' truck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w02Q_x6M2w

That cork is the coolest accessory ever.
I like it... Just get in and drive. I love the Hemi rocker covers!
Rob
vindicator
Frequent Contributor

Post by vindicator »

I saw two Rat Rods at shows this year. Both seemed to be body shells from the 30 s , probablly fords. Looked chopped, very rusty, lots of holes and little paint, worn out interiors. Overall looked like piles of junk but they both had very big and well running engines with headers and no mufflers. Both needed a wrench to remove the steering wheel to get in or out. I think it really is a specific catigory of car and people love them or hate them. They seems to make an effort to use a lot of "junk yard" parts to give the appearance of a piece of junk. They sure stand out at shows. People wonder what is it. I like Rat Rpds but I really don t want to see a Lincoln Rad Rod. :) :)
79 mark v collector series
88 signature series
97 town car triple black