The definition of SUNROOF Vs MOONROOF which is which?

This forum is for discussion of those terms we see in car ads and articles that can be misleading, misunderstood, or misused. The goal is to arrive at definitions we all can agree upon.
chuckie
Lincoln Maniac

The definition of SUNROOF Vs MOONROOF which is which?

Post by chuckie »

Hi everyone,
I would like to clarify which is which, since I often see where some people are calling the same thing two different names. So, I would like to ask you if I am correct or not:

A Moonroof is made of glass and can open or be a fixed closed glass panel.

A Sunroof is always made of metal, and you can't see through it, and of course it always is supposed to open.

So, do I have it right or not?

Thanks and PEACE! :smt006

CHUCKIE!
Once owned: 1962 LINCOLN SEDAN in white, 1977 TOWNCOUPE in jade green, 1978 TOWNCAR in yellow, 1971 MARK III in pewter silver, 1994 MARK VIII in opal white. 1978 Towncar with fixed glass roof option. 1979 MKV Collectors Series in white. 1974 Lincoln Continental 2 door with factory sunroof in white. Now own a 1979 Collectors Series Towncar in dark blue and a 1959 Ford Skyliner in white.
protraxduner
Lincoln Maniac

Re: The definition of SUNROOF Vs MOONROOF which is which?

Post by protraxduner »

My definition has always been this(right or wrong)

Moonroof is fixed glass/metal or retracts back so there is a full open area.

Sunroof is glass and pops up and can be removed but does not retract.
Tony
67 Continental (currently rebuilding)
87 Mustang GT w/T-tops (currently building)
97 Trans-Am, 08 Pontiac G8 GT, 11 Silverado
88 TRX500R, 86 ATC500R, 82 ATC250R, 86 ATC250ES, 04 YFZ450, 07 TRX450R, 85 ATC70
PinkLinc
Lincoln Maniac

Post by PinkLinc »

chuckie wrote:
A Moonroof is made of glass and can open or be a fixed closed glass panel.

A Sunroof is always made of metal, and you can't see through it, and of course it always is supposed to open.

So, do I have it right or not?

Thanks and PEACE! :smt006

CHUCKIE!
I believe this to be the correct definition, however IMO a moonroof should be able to open.
John Doyle a.k.a. PinkLinc

1962 Continental (Sophie - the 49 year old gold diggin' bitch that lives halfway across town)
2002 MINI Cooper S Daily Driver

"I've spent most of my money on cars, women and booze... the rest I just wasted."
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Moonroofs are big enough to hang your a$$ out of for mooning people. Sunroofs are only for letting in light.
protraxduner
Lincoln Maniac

Post by protraxduner »

here is the google answer

Just as a SEDAN is a distinctive type of AUTOMOBILE, a MOONROOF is a type of SUNROOF.

SUNROOF is the generic term used to describe any panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. While most sunroof panels are operable, some may be fixed.

The term MOONROOF was used in the 70's to describe a glass panel inbuilt electric sunroof, and is now used generically to describe all glass panel inbuilt sunroofs. An inbuilt sunroof is one where the operable panel slides between the vehicle roof and headliner, and is often powered but may be manually operated.
Tony
67 Continental (currently rebuilding)
87 Mustang GT w/T-tops (currently building)
97 Trans-Am, 08 Pontiac G8 GT, 11 Silverado
88 TRX500R, 86 ATC500R, 82 ATC250R, 86 ATC250ES, 04 YFZ450, 07 TRX450R, 85 ATC70
chuckie
Lincoln Maniac

Post by chuckie »

Thanks everyone for the repiles!

PEACE! :smt006

CHUCKIE!
Once owned: 1962 LINCOLN SEDAN in white, 1977 TOWNCOUPE in jade green, 1978 TOWNCAR in yellow, 1971 MARK III in pewter silver, 1994 MARK VIII in opal white. 1978 Towncar with fixed glass roof option. 1979 MKV Collectors Series in white. 1974 Lincoln Continental 2 door with factory sunroof in white. Now own a 1979 Collectors Series Towncar in dark blue and a 1959 Ford Skyliner in white.
jaydee
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by jaydee »

Remember when Ford coined the term moonroof, so GM called theirs astroroofs?

John
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

They're basically the same geisha in different kimonos--a half-hearted way of responding to the demonizing of convertibles that Ralphie made so popular back then. :D
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

They are a sunroof in the daytime and a moonroof at night... Unless it's overcast then they are a cloudroof. Or perhaps it is raining, if so then it is also raining inside your car because there is a leaky panel above your head.

:D
Rob
AussieMarkV
Lincoln Maniac

Post by AussieMarkV »

66Lincoupe wrote:They are a sunroof in the daytime and a moonroof at night... Unless it's overcast then they are a cloudroof. Or perhaps it is raining, if so then it is also raining inside your car because there is a leaky panel above your head.

Which makes it a rainroof I guess. :D
An Aussie guy who loves cars.

1978 Silcco four door convertible (to be restored).