Metallic, Moondust, Diamond Flare Poly Paint Terms?

This forum is for discussion of those terms we see in car ads and articles that can be misleading, misunderstood, or misused. The goal is to arrive at definitions we all can agree upon.
78_towncar_460
Addicted to Lincolns

Metallic, Moondust, Diamond Flare Poly Paint Terms?

Post by 78_towncar_460 »

In looking at some if the Lincoln paint colors, you will come up with the terms metallic, moondust, and poly

Metallic is easy, but what are moondust and poly? I think moondust was just a fancy way to say metallic, but did the poly paint jobs have different colored under coats?
Mike
1978 Lincoln Continental Town Car
jon schapiro
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Metallic, Moondust, Diamond Flare Poly Paint Terms?

Post by jon schapiro »

78_towncar_460 wrote:In looking at some if the Lincoln paint colors, you will come up with the terms metallic, moondust, and poly

Metallic is easy, but what are moondust and poly? I think moondust was just a fancy way to say metallic, but did the poly paint jobs have different colored under coats?
"Moondust" was the term for the "extra cost" optional metallic colors. I had a moondust '73 Town Coupe and still have my "standard" Brown Metallic '73 Coupe. The standard metallic actually has more metallic than the optional moondust, but aquart of moondust was $200 compared to $100 for the standard paint!
(Pic missing)
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT
1973 Mark IV Fanatic
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1973 Mark IV Fanatic »

My '73 Mark IV is painted Silver Blue Moondust Metallic. I seem to recall reading some official Lincoln literature that stated that the Moondust paints contained extra metallic (aluminum?) flakes. Upon obtaining a pint of touch up paint at my local auto body supply shop, the guy who mixed the paint for me said that, to the best of his knowledge, this is true.
Jim Weller 1986 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition, 1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series, 2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition.
LINC400
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LINC400 »

The moondust paints are supposed to have more metal flake in them than regular metallic.

My Givenchy has Aqua Blue Diamondfire Metallic paint. It seems to have much finer and more subtle metal flakes and almost a pearlized finish.

Personally I think the names should have been reversed. Moondust for the finer more subtle metalflake, and Diamondfire for the extra sparkly metallic makes more sense to me. But it is the opposite.
1976 Continental Mark IV Givenchy
2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary convertible
previously owned
1979 Continental Mark V Cartier