What do these terms mean?

This forum is for discussion of those terms we see in car ads and articles that can be misleading, misunderstood, or misused. The goal is to arrive at definitions we all can agree upon.
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

What do these terms mean?

Post by Bob Hubbard »

What does "OEM"mean?
What does "NOS" mean?
I know the "O" stands for original, The "M" is manfacturer, but I don't know what the "E" is for.
As for the "N", that is for new, the "O" is for or, but again, I don't know what the "S" is for.
Ok all you big brain scholars, please explain.
Bob.
mdsbob
Occasional Visitor

Post by mdsbob »

"E" is for Equipment...

"O" is for Old...

"S" is for Stock...
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Original Equipment Manufacturer
New Old Stock.
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

Thank You.
Bob.
berigan
Lincoln Maniac

Post by berigan »

Just saw one on an ebay listing I hadn't seen before...
NORS (New Old / Original Reproduction Stock)
1973 Mark lV
1975 Lincoln Continental(2 door)
1979 Lincoln Town Coupe("newest" car)
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

NORS (New Old / Original Reproduction Stock)

"NORS" is one of those terms one has to be careful about.

In the most strict of definition it should mean; "New Old Aftermarket." Made by a third party as a substitute or replacement for the original factory part and supposedly to original factory specifications.

In reality we see it unfortunately being used at swap meets and on ebay frequently defining products as being NORS that were never used in the original production of anything. No way of knowing if such usage is intentional or from just plain ignorance. Regardless anytime the term NORS show up in a description one would be wise not to accept it as fact without scrutiny.
Zephyrmec
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Zephyrmec »

NORS can mean pretty much any part that will bolt up. A genuine American Motors Spin on oil filter for your 62 American might set you back $50, but a Sears service part from that era or a Fram of that vintage might cost you $15. It COULD have been used on your old Rambler as a general service part, but it's not the one from your friendly dealer of that particular car.

The term is used to try and get more money for parts that you find at garage sales, flea markets, and service stations that are closing after a long time in business.

In many cases "NORS" parts are still available at your local NAPA or wherever you buy parts. They are the same parts, with less dust on the box.
If it explodes, moves rapidly, was built over 50 years ago, or is something your parents warned you against, I like it!
spitter
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by spitter »

I thought NORS meant New Old Replacement Stock (ie, replacement parts, not originals)?!

Jay
Jay Spitz
'67 Continental Sedan
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

Any "new" yet "Old" replacement parts not coming from the origianl manufacturer of the vehicle application is considered "NORS." If the part comes from the original auto maker and is in original packaging it is considered NOS.

Technically, I suppose any vintage part still in the box, unused (new) part, whether from the original auto maker or a third party could be called "New Old Stock."
jon schapiro
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by jon schapiro »

Gee, and I thought NORS meant the junk parts made in China, Taiwan and India for our classic American cars!!! lol
(Pic missing)
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT
Willard E. Anderson
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Willard E. Anderson »

Hello Spitter,

From you,

"I thought NORS meant New Old Replacement Stock".

I agree.

Sincerely, Willard.
COLLECTOR CARS:
1964 LC Convertible, Wimbledon, Arctic White
1964 LC Sedan, Metalic Rose Beige
1951 Ford Custom Fordor Sedan, Sheridan Blue
1975 Bricklin SV-1 Gullwing Sportscar, Safety Suntan
1980 Buick Electra Park Avenue Sedan, Diesel, metalic brown, tan roof--the last one in the world?