I need a PHP and MySQL expert to help move the forum

Check here for the latest information about this forum, its policies, rules, changes, backup schedule, features, etc.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

I need a PHP and MySQL expert to help move the forum

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Update: go to the last post.

The needs of this forum have exceeded my ability to keep it functioning properly.

I need a young person with knowledge of UNIX, phpBB, SQL, SSH, and FTP to perform a backup and system update to the latest sofware levels to fix some problems with the system.

I would like said person to volunteer a few hours to do this very soon. Please contact me through the PM system.
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: This Forum Needs a UNIX/PhpBB expert

Post by NicSanford »

Did you find your guy yet? Check out www.nativenetwork.org, www.nativeyouthprom.com, www.stumptownboogie.com, just to name a few. Worked at Yahoo! for a few years in several roles, and know code well. Lemme know what you need.
Nic Sanford - Food Truck Owner / Musician / Singer / Songwriter / Producer / Internet & Media Professional / Lincoln Lover
1961 Lincoln Continental
http://www.TurtleIslandGrille.com
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I want my guy to be a Lincoln forum member. Someone who appreciates this place and can donate sone time to keep it running smoothly.

Volunteering?
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

Well, I do Love it here... ;-)
Nic Sanford - Food Truck Owner / Musician / Singer / Songwriter / Producer / Internet & Media Professional / Lincoln Lover
1961 Lincoln Continental
palomar142
Lincoln Maniac

Post by palomar142 »

Pardon me for seeming to get in the middle here, but it sounds like a match, doesn't it? And Nic, Dan knows ALOT of people--there could be side benefits for you to consider, apart from the responsibility.
--Russ
NicSanford
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by NicSanford »

I'm down to volunteer...
1961 Lincoln Continental
essenz
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by essenz »

Dan,

Are you still looking for assistance?

If so, drop me a line.

I joined this board many years ago, but dropped off the radar as I got involved in life and my business.

I actually own a major datacenter services and hosting business in Philadelphia (www.quonix.net). I am an old school UNIX hack going back many years, fully proficient in perl and php programming, losts of SQL experience (Mysql and Postgres) and tuning. I used to do consulting for myyearbook.com - a site with about a million users as of last year.

I can easily help you with upgrades, offer free hosting if you needed it, tune the site to run better, etc.,.

-John
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I have successfully moved a Joomla-based website for the Michigan region from one host to another and found good documentation on how to do it. I plan on moving hosts for the forum very soon (possibly this weekend).

The forum will likely be going down this weekend while I run backups and attempt to get a copy of it running on another host. If all goes well, I will start a new contract for hosting and plan on making an official move over the next few weeks. I may solicit my volunteers for help when I do so.

I won't perform any forum upgrades until I am confident I can backup and restore without losing anything. Once that is confirmed, we'll do system updates and bring the software up to the latest version. Then we can work on improving the formatting and look of this forum to make it more professional and customized.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Welcome back from some short downtime. I hope you all had something better to do on this Saturday than keep checking this forum. ;)

I managed to download a database and HTML backup and I am doing a test transfer on a new site. If all is successful, the site will go down once again in the future for the official transfer. Now I have a database I can mess with and upgrade without endangering our online system.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: I need a PHP and MySQL expert to help move the forum

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I am switching servers in late august and need some to backup, archive, and transfer the forum to the new servers.
Any volunteers?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: I need a PHP and MySQL expert to help move the forum

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Nick rocked this transfer out and we are in business on the new server. Much thanks for him.

I am transferring the galleries now. Hopefully, those will work without much teeth clenching.

Return to “Forum Information & Rules”