Check here for the latest information about this forum, its policies, rules, changes, backup schedule, features, etc.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I have enabled avatars. These will allow one to choose a special picture that is shown next to your name in every post.

There are some RULES for avatars. Maximum height and width is 140 wide by 100 tall. Maximum size is 10kB. The width is already the width of the name column. The height is just something reasonable.

You can upload a personal avatar by accessing your Profile and scrolling to the bottom to the avatar configuration area or you can choose from a wide variety of Lincoln pics I have uploaded.

I would prefer that one's avatar content meet the following:
  • Pics of LINCOLNS, Lincoln parts, Lincoln Logos, etc.
  • Pics of YOURSELF and your family (with or without a Lincoln)
  • General car-related parts that are not recognizable as being non-Lincoln.
  • Avatars can be single jpgs and animated gifs (GIFs allowed starting Jan 1, 2012)
  • Pics that are directly related to your Username.
However, since I consider those who use this forum to be more civilized, respectful of others, and more mature than the "typical" forum-user on the internet due to the owners being older and focused on restoring and preserving their Lincolns, I will allow users to chose avatars that do not meet the above content requirements.

Of course, all pics must be tasteful and non-offensive. Anything outside of this may get deleted, without warning. Abuse of avatars may result in penalties such as deletion of the avatar, or deletion of the user.

DO NOT COMPLAIN about the avatar rules. They are strict to maintain the dignity of this forum. Much like signature rules, they are critical to the forum not looking like crap.

There are a bunch in the gallery. Otherwise, you are free to make your own avatar.

Enjoy this feature.
Last edited by Dan Szwarc on Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

OK, I found out that the only way to add avatars to the general gallery is to upload them directly using FTP software. This means that only I can add avatars for anyone to use. You can always upload your own, but only you will be able to access it.

I you create an avatar and want to share them with others, post them here or send them to me as a zip file renamed as a "ZAP" file. Failure to do this will get the file deleted as zip files can contain viruses (well, for PC users anyway). I will unzip them and upload them to the gallery after reviewing them.
jase386
Occasional Visitor

Post by jase386 »

how can i change the size of my file so i can add my lincoln as my avatar? i cropped it, and it is still too large.
1972 Continental Mark IV
Purchased new by Grandmother
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Change the compression settings or quality.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Sorry. Had to disable the avatars. I screwed them up. Some got deleted, others work.

Rather than play around, I shut them off.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Update: Avatars are now... re-enabled!

Post by Dan Szwarc »

With the new forum being installed and enabled, Avatars are back.

Many of you may find them working. If not, check your profile to re-upload it. :smt006
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You can add or select an avatar by going into your User Control Panel here. The picture must be a JPG or a GIF, no bigger than 140 wide by 100 pixels tall and be a file less than 100KiB (was 15KiB).

If you click on the "Display Gallery" Link on the avatar page, you can select one of many I have pre-loaded into the system.

To make one from a personal digital picture, you need to shrink the picture down by scaling the picture down to 140 x100 or less. If the filesize is too big after shrinking, then you need to save the file using a lower "quality" or a higher "compression" setting (the name varies by program). If you use a Mac, you can download Graphic Converter (google it) and if you use a PC, you can use paintshop pro, photoshop elements, or whatever photo editing program you may have (may have come with your scanner). I can't give any advice about any specific program for reducing the picture. You may have to google "photo editing program windows" to find one.

That's it.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I just updated the avatar settings to allow files up to 100kiB. This should help a lot of people.

I also made my avatar an animated GIF, the first one I've ever created.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Avatars Rules

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Sweet! Just animated mine. I used Gimp.org and followed these guidelines- http://www.ehow.com/how_5900984_animate ... files.html
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You have a flicker in yours. It's probably just one frame. I used GIFQuickMaker for Mac from the App store.
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

fixed it
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Made a new Avatar for myself and noticed the board was set back to 10KB limited GIFs. I bumped it back up to 100KB.

Return to “Forum Information & Rules”