Forum Rules

Check here for the latest information about this forum, its policies, rules, changes, backup schedule, features, etc.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Forum Rules

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Here are the terms of service you probably didn't read when you registered:
By accessing The Lincoln Forum.Net (hereinafter we, us, our, The Lincoln Forum.Net, http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use The Lincoln Forum.Net. We may change these at any time and we'll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of The Lincoln Forum.Net after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.

Our forums are powered by phpBB (hereinafter “they”, “them”, “their”, “phpBB software”, “www.phpbb.com”, “phpBB Group”, “phpBB Teams”) which is a bulletin board solution released under the “General Public License” (hereinafter “GPL”) and can be downloaded from http://www.phpbb.com. The phpBB software only facilitates internet based discussions, the phpBB Group are not responsible for what we allow and/or disallow as permissible content and/or conduct. For further information about phpBB, please see: http://www.phpbb.com/.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “The Lincoln Forum.Net” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “The Lincoln Forum.Net” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “The Lincoln Forum.Net” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
In addition, here are the latest forum rules. Most of them are common sense.

1.) Please use the appropriate forum for your post or question.
There are many categories to help to determine where to post. Some may have more than one forum that "fits". Pick one. If it is found to be inappropriate, it will be moved.

2.) Do not post the same message in multiple forums.
Members who post the same or very similar messages in different forums will find their redundant posts locked, moved, or deleted without warning. Duplicate posting will NOT be tolerated and its not appropriate behavior for a structured forum like this one.

3.) Do not post the same question over and over if you do not get a reply.
This hasn't happened much, but it could. If you wish to keep your posts "fresh" simply reply to it either rephrasing your question or begging for a response. In most cases, the word "bump" is adequate to keep it "at the top".

4.) Try to search the forum before asking a question, any question.
After more than 12 years this forum has had many common questions answered about procedures, parts, where to buy, where to sell, etc. Try using the search function and if you do not find adequate assistance, then ask away.

5.) No name-calling or personal insults. Be polite.
If you disagree with someone, say so. Don't call names or insult other people. Razzing and playfulness should be denoted using smilies or other hints. Name-calling of the forum Admin or its moderators will not be tolerated in any way.

6.) Read each forum's specific rules.
Some forums have additional rules specific to that forum. Follow them.

7.) Choose your username carefully.
Any username that is deemed offensive by TLF.net will be instantly deleted without notice. No warnings will be given. Any username starting with "http:" for pushing a website will be deleted.

8.) No posts or links to offensive sites, spam sites, etc.
Do not put any home page links to sites that are offensive or of questionable content. At best, the link will be deleted from your profile or the post deleted. At worst, your account will be banned.

9.) Do not request posts to be deleted.
This forum is an archive of information. The admins do not have the time to delete posts except those deemed inappropriate to the board. If you become paranoid about your name being on the internet, use an alias or do not post information that is specific. Requests for deleting inappropriate posts will be handled on a case-specific basis.

10.) Intolerance will not be tolerated.
This is not a church forum, political forum, or racist forum. Everyone is welcome here except those who do not welcome others. Racism is not an opinion here. Views expressing it will not be allowed and neither will opinions regarding sexism, anti-semitism, or anti-anything.
This is a Lincoln forum and not one of those other places. There are plenty of places to discuss those views on the internet. This is not one of them.

11.) The ability to post is a privilege and not a right.
That's right. Posting here is a privilege, not a right. What do you expect for nearly free? Even benefactors can be banned.

12.) Do not discuss other members. Please do not talk about other members of the forum publicly. Do not ask what happened to someone, why someone does not reply, etc. Please do not publicly post a message directed to a specific member. Contact them privately if you wish that person to answer your question. The purpose of this is to prevent gossip. Not all posts may be considered this, but the rule will have to be enforced evenly to avoid interpretation issues. Send them a PM.

13.) No thread crapping. Do not criticize the price of an item in the For Sale area. Do not side-track topics with unrelated questions. Stay on topic.

14.) Inappropriate replies. Joking aside, any post deemed as inappropriate, condescending, rude, offensive, or non-value-addede, etc. may be edited, deleted, or used as evidence for banning. Be careful of what you say.

15.) Do not post messages in all CAPS, all bold, or in unnecessarily large font sizes. Use them sparingly for emphasis. Do not assume that your message is more important or more noticeable because you try to overuse unnecessary capitalization or font-enhancement. It is not. Posts of this type may be edited or deleted without notice.

16.) Do not annoy the Admin(s). As much as one might think this is a place a free speech, etc., there is one rule which cannot be defined clearly and could easily be very unevenly enforced. Any posts directed at me or any other admin that is deemed annoying, etc. will be used against you in any way deemed necessary. Friendly pokes or jabs are one thing, but if you go too far, you could be subject to any possible consequence as a result of a post directed towards a moderator or an admin.

17.) Don't be an asshole. I shouldn't need to define this one, but some people insist that they should be able to do or say anything if it's not in the rules. Well, running a forum isn't fun all the times, so this rule is there to cover things that aren't covered somewhere else.

These rules will be updated and edited as necessary. Just because it isn't listed here doesn't mean it will be tolerated. We are very flexible here, but don't act like you have free run.
Last edited by Dan Szwarc on Sat May 05, 2007 9:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Penalties for violating the above rules:

The following apply to rules 5 and 8 above.

First infraction: The first infraction of the above rules will result in a warning. You will be notified by private message (which emails you upon receipt). Failure to read this warning or a failure for the system to deliver the email notification is not a defense.

Second Infraction: The second infraction will be a one week suspension of your account. It will show as banned for seven days (this includes weekends and holidays).

Third Infraction: The third and final violation will result in total banishment. You will not be able to re-register as your account name, email, and IP address will be locked out.

Contrary to popular belief, this forum is NOT a democracy. It is run by a select few individuals who have the right to enforce the rules as they are spelled out and modify them at any time. There is no constitution or Bill of Rights on this forum. If you don't like the rules, you are welcome to leave. We do our best to be fair to everyone with the best interests of the forum at the heart of all decisions.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Forum Rules

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Bump with addition of Rule 15 (previous 15 is now #16).

15.) Do not post messages in all CAPS, all bold, or in unnecessarily large font sizes. Use them sparingly for emphasis. Do not assume that your message is more important or more noticeable because you try to overuse unnecessary capitalization or font-enhancement. It is not. Posts of this type may be edited or deleted without notice.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Rule 17 added.
17.) Don't be an asshole. I shouldn't need to define this one, but some people insist that they should be able to do or say anything if it's not in the rules. Well, running a forum isn't fun all the times, so this rule is there to cover things that aren't covered somewhere else.
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

Dan, thanks for this, it's probably good to remind everyone now and then. May I add a suggestion? A lot of these rules are "don't-do" things. One "please-do" thing I'd like to see encouraged is the inclusion of the year and model car under discussion. Some people are pretty good about this and some even have this as part of their signature, but others you have to guess or ask. Ideally, I'd like to see it under their screen names where it has their location (although that's a problem with those who own multiple vehicles). Anyway, just a thought.
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Another rules is I do what I want when I want when I feel like it.
As the founding admin, I wield unlimited power and can change or implement any rule whenever I wish.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Forum Ruless in "For Sale" section:

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

Dan,

Is the "For Sale" section strictly for parts and parts cars for sale, OR can I post an ad for a whole, running Lincoln for sale in this section? This '88 TC I bought a month ago is really too nice for me, especially the paint; so I'd like to see if I could find a better home for it.

Jerry
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Anything Lincoln, whole or parts.
palomar142
Lincoln Maniac

Post by palomar142 »

"Brilliant minds discuss ideas.

Average minds discuss events.

Small minds discuss people."

--attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks for allowing me to post this non-Lincoln quotation
--Russ
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

Russ, I read the same quotation, but attributed to Adm. Hyman Rickover.

Dan, Thanks for the clarification regarding the For Sale section.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I thought it was Abraham Lincoln. :D
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Check the internet. If it's on the internet it is gospel.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
jeffmounce
Frequent Contributor

Post by jeffmounce »

Thanks for posting/reposting the Forum rules; especially #'s 5,10, 14 and 17. I don't understand why it sometimes gets nasty between members. This forum has been an incredible resource of information for a guy like me who is restoring his first Lincoln. Name calling and bitching at each other is pretty lame when our goal here should be to keep these cool cars on the road. Let's get along.
Jeff Mounce
'70 Continental Mark III, '70 Buick Skylark
2000 Chevy Silverado, 2010 Mercedes Benz E350,
2012 Audi S5
CMP-Phil
Lincoln Maniac

Post by CMP-Phil »

Hi All

Very well said Jeff, and agree thanks to Dan for reposting the basic tenants of polite society on the Lincoln Forum. Also thanks to vast majority of member's who do not need the rules because they are just naturally polite.

It is what makes this forum readable.

Cheers Phil

:grin:
Philip Waterman, New Hampshire
Cosmopolitan Town Sedan - Being restored1949 Lincoln web page
My Restoration Web Page
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

What I really need are people who can help moderate.

I read a lot of posts, but not with rule enforcement in mind. In here to help people fix their Lincolns and educate myself so I can help more people. It's work but I enjoy it. I can't do it all.

Last bumped by Dan Szwarc on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:06 pm.

Return to “Forum Information & Rules”