Unknown vaccum line 1968 continental

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Cole1968
Occasional Visitor

Unknown vaccum line 1968 continental

Post by Cole1968 »

I have this vaccum line coming out if the firewall that was disconnected when I got the car like many others. I am trying to figure out what it is, my best guess is that it goes to the hydraulic wiper motor for the governor. If anyone knows I would appreciate the feedback, Thanks-cole

Picture is attached to this post hopefully
Attachments
20220320_152616.jpg
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Unknown vaccum line 1968 continental

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Good guess. It’s a bleed-down line for the wipers. It uses vacuum to turn on for wiping when you push the wiper knob to squirt. It should lead back to the switch on the dash.

The correct number of wipes after one releases the squirter buttons is six. The screw inside that metal box is how one adjusts the number of wipes.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You can see the vacuum line in this picture. The end to the left follows the lip of the cowl and goes to the wiper motor through a hole. You may be able to see the connection to the motor through the cowl grill.
Attachments
DCP_1302.JPG
Cole1968
Occasional Visitor

Post by Cole1968 »

I know exactly where it goes now, I thought the port on the wiper motor was some kinda of vaccum governer for higher engine rpm/ vaccum but wasn't sure of that. Thanks for the help guys
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

You were partially right, Cole. Now, to clarify for everyone, the wipers are primarily hydraulic. That vacuum routing, which was added to the design to make an effective washer system, opens a secondary, or bypass, vacuum valve in the motor when the knob is pressed to spray the windshield (the electric motor and the vacuum bypass operate separately but simultaneously). That secondary valve opens the flow of the fluid so the wipers will sweep. To make them stop, that adjustable bleeder bleeds off the vacuum when the knob is released, to the tune of about five or six wiper sweeps after releasing the knob, at which point the valve in the motor closes and cuts off the fluid flow (unless the primary hydraulic valve is already open by turning the wiper knob).

Now, that block does require occasional maintenance, but it's pretty easy. The cotton filter in that block will get clogged with road dirt and requires occasional rinsing off. You remove the block, then the adjusting screw, then lift out the filter with tweezers. Run water on it, squeeze it dry in a towel, repeat if necessary, then re-install. Done. You'll know when it needs servicing, when your wipers stay on much longer after you release the knob and the washer pump stops.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”