1961 Lincoln Continental - Parking Lights on w/Headlights

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Bill Prince
Dedicated Enthusiast

1961 Lincoln Continental - Parking Lights on w/Headlights

Post by Bill Prince »

The reason that I had asked about removing my headlight switch on my 1961 Lincoln Continental, was to install a jumper wire - allowing for the parking lights to stay on with the headlights.

A couple of years ago I designed and fabricated "Crystal Clear" Parking Lights for 1961 through 1964 Lincoln Continentals. Due to being extremely busy, I have not advertised them yet. I have about 20 sets that are close to being ready, in addition to designing these for the 1967 Thunderbird (those are ready), and the 1964 Chevy impala. The kit includes new clear optical grade 3/8" thick acrylic lenses with center bullet and perimeter trim, hand polished aluminum multi-parabolic reflector, top and bottom stick on chrome reflector, gasket, amber bulb, and instructions -for left and right (2) parking lights. Uses existing housing, which does not have to be removed. When I get around to selling them, they will cost $160 plus shipping.

Back in the 1980s, I worked as a lighting design Engineer, including designing parking lot HID lights for Ford Motor Company's dealership parking lots. I have always been interested, to some extent, in lighting. I also was impressed with Cadillac's Parking lights of the 1950s and 1960s. However, most Lincoln's used standard Fresnel Lens type of lenses the same as cheaper cars such as Fords and Falcons, etc. So, I developed a replacement parking light that gives a much more expensive look to the lights and front end of the car, whether the lights are on or off.

Anyway, I already made this change (parking lights on with headlights, and installing my Crystal Clear Parking Lights) to my 1967 Thunderbird - they looks fantastic!
20220317_133139 - Copy.jpg
20220317_131312.jpg
20220317_131228.jpg
Thanks,
Bill

1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible (White/Blue), 1961 Lincoln Continental Sedan (White/Blue - 37K miles), 1972 Mark IV (Pastel Lime/Green). See photos of my cars at Cardomain.com - search for gormanwpjr
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Re: 1961 Lincoln Continental - Parking Lights on w/Headlight

Post by rick »

Absolutely cool, Bill. Great job.

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Bill Prince
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Bill Prince »

Thanks Rick
Thanks,
Bill

1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible (White/Blue), 1961 Lincoln Continental Sedan (White/Blue - 37K miles), 1972 Mark IV (Pastel Lime/Green). See photos of my cars at Cardomain.com - search for gormanwpjr
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That was an upgrade I had thought about, and done, back in the early-'90s with my grand's Man-Of-War. It was a simple job, actually; I found the wire in the headlight-switch harness that went to the parking lights, pulled the wire out, and connected it with a splice to another wire that I knew remained hot in both the switch's "on" positions. But back then, while still pretty fresh to automotive neurosurgery, I ended up splicing it to the circuit that fed the instrument-panel lights; that meant they would dim along with the dash lights if the knob was turned to dim the dash lights.

Fast-forward to the turn of the millennium; that was one of the first mods I did to Frankenstein, even while he was still on the slab waiting for the engine to be revived (this was around 2001, not last year). This time I spliced the parking-light feed wire into the feed wire for the taillights to keep them lit at a constant intensity; no other mods or additions required for this conversion/upgrade (I do consider it an upgrade, because the parking lights can serve a safety purpose as marker lights, in the event that a main headlight fails and cannot be replaced immediately on the spot; at least oncoming traffic will know it's a 5,300-lb. car coming at them and not a 500-lb. crotch-rocket). I think I do remember making a mention of this mod in the early days of the Forum, as a suggestion to others with their own Suicides.

Good mod, Bill, and good you came up with that on your own. Just saying, it's not a new thing, as I had done that already.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Bill Prince
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Bill Prince »

Tony,
On my 1967 Thunderbird, I was able to fine a Tail Light connection on the headlight switch, which I used. However, on my 1961 Lincoln, I was not able to identify a tail light wire on the headlight switch by continuity checks, unless it uses the same input power connection to the instrument panel lights (does not dim with rheostat). So, I used this connection. Maybe I missed the tail light wire somehow, as I did not turn this little project into a science project by disassembling the headlight switch to see how the contacts were completed with the pull of the switch knob. I am sometimes tempted to do such things, but a little pressed for time now - fortunately or unfortunately. At any rate, all is well with the Parking Lights staying on with the headlights. I did not do it for the safety reason, but because I wanted my Crystal Clear Parking Lights to continue to illuminate when the headlights are turned on. Just the sort of fun project that I enjoy doing. But yes, I am aware that this has been done many times before I did my first one - my 1967 Tbird a few years ago, so I can't claim credit for it. Just glad that the headlight switch came out rather easily!
Thanks,
Bill

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Nice to see fresh upgrades for our cars, it should also fit the backup lights '61-'67, as they use the same lens. With LEDs, the dimmer may not matter, however another wiring choice may be to bypass the headlight switch and have a relay, hooked to the "run" side of the ignition switch, so they are alive whenever the engine is running, like daytime running lights.
The light switches were redesigned sometime after alternators were introduced, as a safety tweak. When I have replaced switches in the past, I have found direct replacements to have this upgrade, however that may not always be the case.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Bill Prince
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Bill Prince »

Yes, my Crystal Clear Parking Lights will fit the backup lights (61-67). I have not done my backup lights yet, but may do so - at least as a test to see how they look. The original Fresnel lens give a better focused light distribution pattern - however I don't drive at night in a dark area to need the best backup lights - so that is in the mud for me. But the clear backup lights may look more upscale and expensive on the backup lights. Once I hand polish more reflectors (everything else in the kit is completed), I will install them and post a picture.

Interesting to use a relay so that the the parking lights can be used as day time running lights. Also interesting that the headlight switch was modified for alternators - I did not know that.
Thanks,
Bill

Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

Great post. I will be doing this mod. I installed an old 60's FoMoCo hazard light set-up on my 1963 sedan. Havent had to use it, but it is sweet! I had a post about it w/ pics, but it looks like my thread got purged, somewhere along the line, as it is no longer present here.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

And here I put orange filters behind the lenses of my front turn signals on my 66 because I didn't like how the amber bulbs didn't make them amber enough.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

One day I may consider doing that. Right now, I still like the unfiltered, off-white look of my front-turn/front-marker lights. I think they look more elegant that way.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I didn't say the switches were modified for alternators, only that they were modified after alternators. People were cautious about draining batteries in the generator era. I have seen Fords as late as '68 with the parking lights out/ headlights on.
'62 and '67 LCC.
George W
Lincoln Maniac

Post by George W »

I made this same modification back in 1967 to my 67 AMC Ambassador DPL and to a buddies 67 GTO. Both cars had grille mounted park / turn signal lamps mounted that mimicked the looks of European driving lights. I believe the 1963 Grand Prix was the first American car to have this look. The parking lights on with the headlights was federally mandated in 1968 IIRC. In any event, all that was needed was to add a solid (buss) wire jumper between the “T’ terminal ( tail ) and the “P” terminal ( parking ) to the headlight switch. I intend to do this eventually to my 65 sedan as soon as I get motivated to drop out the headlight switch. I think it will look cool with the 65’s dual bulb parking / turn signal setup.
1965 Sedan, white w/ black vinyl top and red leather. 28k miles
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I made the same modifications to my first 69 Lincoln sedan except I wired it to the taillight circuit that runs the back taillights. I probably should have verified wiring and fusing, but nothing ever happened.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

George W wrote: The parking lights on with the headlights was federally mandated in 1968 IIRC.
That makes sense, side markers were mandated in '68, so it would be pointless if they were dark. My '68 Bronco had the old setup, but that would have fallen under the truck regulations, which had side reflectors in '68.
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, that's not quite true. Committed side markers that were operational in both switch positions were mandated. That did not include the parking lights. You will see in any unmodded '68 or '69 model that the parking lights do not stay on with the main floods. Only that bottom one third of the light area is on; those were separate, single-function marker lights that were not the same, nor on the same circuit, as the parking lights. Engineers back then overthought the mandate and ended up with that idea, which proved to be dangerously inadequate for the already-too-small taillights of '68. They did not think of redesigning the parking-light circuit until at least 1970.

My means of upgrading the front-marker circuit was much simpler, not involving any elaborate continuity checks or ohm measurements or fancy gadgetry, or disassembly of the headlight switch. All I needed was a test light. With the harness exposed, I probed every terminal until I found one that stayed energized in both "on" positions and, in Frankenstein's case, did not fade out by turning the knob. That narrowed it down to only one terminal: The taillights.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”