Mark rear windows

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Mark rear windows

Post by Goldstar »

Owners of Marks that have power rear windows know these are rather pathetic and retract only a few inches, begging the question why go through the trouble? I read somewhere that Lincoln eventually did away with power rear windows on Marks. Anybody know when this happened? Just curious.
Thanks,
Peter
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Mark rear windows

Post by action »

I have a Mark VIII that the rear side window is fixed.

The rear windows in my Mark III retract completely into the C pillar.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Li ... &FORM=VIRE

Mark VI came in two and foor door design.

I think you need to clarify which generation of Mark series

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Luckily, I remember that Peter has a '72 Mark IV, so that is the series he's asking about.

Yes, Peter, it does seem a bit silly to have a back side window that can only open a few inches to be fully open, but I have a bit of a theory on that. Back then it was standard practice to have all the side windows open and close, regardless of the model. But where Lincoln was concerned, they went to the very fat C-pillars on 2-door models with the full-size '68 model, which kind of had the unanticipated side-effect of rendering movable quarter-windows an extraneous feature. But they still kept the engineering in place until I'd say possibly about '74 (owners of '74 models can verify this), stopping it for sure by '75. It could also be that more government interference with construction standards in the name of safety may have had an influence, because that change was industry-wide by '75 (save for what few convertibles were still soldiering on in that year before they disappeared).

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Recently, I acquired a '79 Mk V with fixed quarter windows, I suspect '76 was the last to open. If you drive at hiway speeds with that window open, you will find less buffeting than with it closed, at least that was the case with my '71 Galaxy. But with an air conditioned Lincoln, few people ever drive at hiway speeds with the windows open.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Unless the air conditioner isn't working, as is the case with me :lol: ...so far. But I am building up to a remedy for that.

Actually, I am certain that the movable quarter-windows were deleted by '75; I do remember seeing a few organ donors years ago from then, and I even came across an owner's manual long ago (which I didn't think of taking) that also verified deletion of the opening mechanisms by that year. I'm not 100% certain about '74, though; that could have been the last year they moved. I do know for a fact that '73 still had movable quarters.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Goldstar »

Interesting, thanks boys,
Peter

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”