window regulator coil spring

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

window regulator coil spring

Post by bagged59 »

happy holidays everyone. i"m in the process of re-installing the window regulators in my '59 and i'm unsure which way the coil spring goes on these regulators. the parts manual doesn't show much and i don't have pictures of my quarter window assemblies. just the 2 doors. can someone point me in the right direction on which way the spring is supposed to face? should there be resistance going up or down? i'm assuming the weight of the window helps the motor go down but i want to install these assemblies once. if pics help, i can post some. thank you!
paul

pic attached is driver side regulator. i have a pic of when i removed it so i know which way it goes. i'm gonna assume that the quarter window springs would face the same way as the doors? thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_4192 (1).jpeg
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Re: window regulator coil spring

Post by rick »

Bagged, I'm probably the last guy to be giving advice on this topic except to say please be a bit careful with this window regulator coil spring affair. I have watched the Nathan Wilson youtube video where he underscores the need to be careful.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhZeWe4qxO4

entitled: Demonstration of how dangerous the window regulator can be on these old Lincolns

All the best

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The spring is installed to provide LIFT.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

DSCF5314 (2).JPG
'62, if it helps.
As I recall, it will only install in one position, anything else will not line up, or it will bind before the end of travel. And yes, use a vice, fingers don't grow back!
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

the spring can go in either direction. the motor head with the gear is different than your 62. the gear assembly is a mirror image for the opposite sides.

dan, thanks, i assumed that was the case. these windows are heavyyy and im sure they go down very easy.

next step is to order glass. anyone have thoughts on Sanders repro glass?

thanks, paul

edit: got the quarter windows sorted :smt023
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”