Seat belt warning buzzer

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Seat belt warning buzzer

Post by Goldstar »

On my ‘72 I have my seatbelts buckled and tucked out of the way to eliminate the annoying warning buzzer. Recently, however, it goes off when I use the turn signals! Any ideas? Has anyone disabled the damn buzzer?
Thanks
Peter
Goldstar
Lincoln Maniac

Re: Seat belt warning buzzer

Post by Goldstar »

…it’s a ‘72 Mark IV…
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Disconnecting the buzzer was a common thing back in the day.

Don;t know where it is? Just follow the sound

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, at least it's not that starter-interlock that they tried out back then. That was so troublesome from what I had read, I'm surprised Ford didn't get hit with lawsuits more expensive than the Edsel failure.

Just about every car of every make in that decade used those aggravating buzzers. It wasn't until the '80s that they began to use the less-aggravating ding-dongs that are commonplace now.

But anyway, if your shop manual doesn't indicate where the buzzer is, do what Action said: Follow the noise. It isn't supposed to do that; maybe a prior owner caused that with a wiring rape.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
denizen44
Lincoln Maniac

Post by denizen44 »

Mine was under the glove box, disabled it.

Non-Mark, though.

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Those early buzzers were terrible, they buzzed constantly. People were having them dis connected during the P D I, before they even took delivery! By about '76, they were re designed to only buzz for a few seconds, then shut off. Still annoying.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Yes, just like Jim Carrey in "Dumb And Dumber" ("the most annoying sound in the world"), only not stopping after three seconds like he did. :lol: I can remember the buzzer on a '73 Buick Apollo I had for about a year when I started driving: That buzzer was tied into sensors in the seats (both, front and back) and would shut off only when the belt aligned with the pressed sensor was fastened...and would switch back on if the belt was unfastened. Of course, that made carrying cargo in that car all the more difficult, except in the trunk. At first it didn't work...but over the course of a few months, it suddenly started working again. It was nice to see a malfunctioning system repair itself, but that noise was very much like Jim Carrey: ANNOYING. :x

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

off topic, but...
I dont have a seat belt buzzer, but I did install an aftermarket headlight buzzer on my '63 sedan. I once forgot to shut down the headlights after shutting off the vehicle and ran my battery dead. Purchased a NOS buzzer from ebay and haven't had the problem since. It just wires in at fuse panel and buzzes if headlights are on after ignition is off. Very handy to have, as I have had to walk back to the car and kill the headlights, that I noticed are still on, after walking away from the vehicle.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”