60's Vacuum Door lock issue solved

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

1966BlackonBlackConv
Occasional Visitor

60's Vacuum Door lock issue solved

Post by 1966BlackonBlackConv »

Door lock issues solved on my 1966!

I know there are some good posts on the subject of vacuum door locks. I have read them all and wanted to share my experience that ended positive! I didn't see any that referenced the door lock hoses and connections that are behind the glove box. The issue and solution for me was behind the glove box. This is my first Lincoln and I have had it 6 months. I was able to check this issue off my list.

First of all, the priority is replacing all engine and wheel well vacuum hoses. You must start there as previous posts mention, the under-hood conditions are horrible compared to the interior. Dan Swarc mentions that you need to think of these vacuum lines as you would electrical wiring. That is helpful since you can't really "see" electricity or vacuum. Get a pack of colored electrical tape at Home Depot to mark hoses before, you remove them-trust me. Many posts were related to the unlock not working when using the selector switch in the toggled-up position. This was one of the issues I had. In addition, the passenger switch operated in reverse- down was up and vice versa. Many things were wrong but where to start?

I could hear a leak from what seemed like the passenger side selector switch, but only when toggled up. As I traced it with my ear, the hissing sound continued at the same level as I moved forward through the passenger door. I followed the hoses where they re enter the passenger compartment. I found a cluster of rubber hoses, plastic lines and 2 tees. This is where I found disconnected hoses that are involved with the door lock system. With the glove box removed you can see the 5 hoses that came from the passenger door (selector switch and door lock actuator). This is just above the carpet line.

This is a breakdown of these hoses that are behind the glove box on my 1966. These were causing my problems. Yours may be different.

1- White stripe rubber hose (1st dirty hose on left in picture)
1- Red stripe rubber hose
1- Yellow stripe rubber hose
2- 2 tees (barely visible on lower right)
4- Plastic lines connected with rubber hose (making 2 complete lines) The plastic lines are not visable in the picture, only the rubber hose connecting the plastic lines. Plastic lines are striped with white and green. Each pair is connected with the 2 rubber hoses. Mine were red and yellow striped rubber hoses. I put the red and yellow tape on them as seen in the photo.

All 5 of these lines go to the passenger door (3 for switch 2 for actuator). If your switch works in reverse, remove the rear seat and rear side interior panel. Switch the connections on the 2 plastic lines by removing the 2 rubber hoses that connect these plastic lines.

I was happy to see that all of my issues were solved by correctly routing the 5 hoses behind the glove box. It is just above where the carpet ends. These lines surely come loose as they can get kicked by the passenger. I spent a lot of time replacing and checking the hoses and inspecting the control valve on the drives footwell area. I wasn’t aware of this trouble spot behind the glove box. I will be clamping and zip tying these soon.

Does anyone have a comprehensive vacuum diagram? The factory one is confusing. It references “Selector valve instrument panel”. It took me days to realize this is actually the two switches that control the door locks. Ya, the ones located on the drivers and passenger door trim panels! The diagram on page 17-19 of the 1966 shop manual is not very helpful.

If your adventurous, if you suck on the selector switch plastic hoses (located on the trim panels)- you will see that this will actuate the door locks. Not a bad trouble shooting technique...

Love this car- especially when repairs go right!
Last edited by 1966BlackonBlackConv on Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1966BlackonBlackConv
Occasional Visitor

Re: 60's Vacuum Door lock issue solved

Post by 1966BlackonBlackConv »

Here is the photo
Attachments
view is with glove box removed.  It's just above the carpet line.
view is with glove box removed. It's just above the carpet line.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, good work! It wasn't the same issue my grand's car had, but I can see how that would cause headaches. Complex as that system is, it's a triumph to get it working again like it was meant to.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Red is unlock. Yellow is lock.

I've put clamps on a lot of these connections (anything I didn't think was snug or tight).
Here's some pics I took.
Attachments
CIMG3987.JPG
CIMG3988.JPG
CIMG3989.JPG
CIMG3990.JPG
CIMG3991.JPG
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This is drawn so you can understand it. It's in your shop manual. You've seen it.
66 Vacuum Door Locks.png
The "Instrument panel" reference is to the 61 to ?? Lincolns where there was only one switch on the dash. I'm not sure when they started putting them in the doors (64 maybe?).

How it is plumbed in the car is another story.
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Great to hear all went well.

Of note, the vacuum manifold for the door locks, located behind the glove compartment on my 1961 is quite different from your photos. No idea what year they changed it.

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

'65 was the last year of the singular, dash-mounted toggle for the power locks; it was also the last year until sometime in the '70s that power locks were standard equipment. That part I will never...well, I do know why they did it...but it was a cheap move, a step backward in luxury-accommodation terms, especially where 4-door cars were concerned. You just don't build a 4-door car like this without a power-locking system; the 2-doors could possibly get away with it, but it should have remained mandatory standard on all 4-door models.

But, oh well...those that were denied that feature are just easier to fit with a good aftermarket electric system. That said, I wouldn't want to rip out the original design if the car were fitted with it; I'd repair it, as I had chosen to do with my grand's Man-Of-War, not replace it. I had the idea of fitting an electric system even back then, but when I solved the mystery of why the factory locks would work only when the engine was running and cured that handicap (and I'm proud to say I discovered it myself, without Ron Baker's help), I shelved the electric idea...used it on Frankenstein instead.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”