60's Vacuum Door lock issues solved

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

1966BlackonBlackConv
Occasional Visitor

60's Vacuum Door lock issues solved

Post by 1966BlackonBlackConv »

Door lock issues solved on my 1966!

I know there are some good posts on the subject of vacuum door locks. I have read them all and wanted to share my experience that ended positive! This is my first Lincoln and I have had it 6 months. I was able to check this issue off my list.

First of all, the priority is replacing all engine and wheel well vacuum hoses. You must start there as previous posts mention, the under-hood conditions are horrible compared to the interior. Get a pack of colored electrical tape at Home Depot to mark hoses before, you remove them-trust me. Many posts were related to the unlock not working when using the selector switch in the toggled-up position. This was one of the issues I had. In addition, the passenger switch operated in reverse- down was up and vice versa. Many things were wrong but where to start?

I could hear a leak from what seemed like the passenger side selector switch only when toggled up. As I traced it, the hissing sound continued at the same level as I moved forward through the passenger door. I followed the hoses where they re enter the passenger compartment. I found a cluster of rubber hoses, plastic lines and 2 tees. With the glove box removed you can see the 5 hoses that came from the passenger door (selector switch and door lock actuator). This is just above the carpet line, if viewing from underneath the dash. You will need to take the glove box out to get access.

This is a breakdown of these hoses on my 1966. Yours may be different.

1- White stripe rubber hose (1st dirty hose on left in picture)
1- Red stripe rubber hose
1- Yellow stripe rubber hose
2- 2 tees (barely visible on lower right)
4- Plastic lines connected with rubber hose (making 2 complete lines). Plastic lines are striped with white and green. Each pair is connected with 2 rubber hoses. Mine were red and yellow striped rubber hoses. I put the red and yellow tape on them as seen in the photo.

All 5 of these lines go to the passenger door (3 for the switch 2 for the lock actuator). If your switch works in reverse, remove the rear seat and rear side interior panel. Switch the connection on the 2 plastic lines by removing the 2 rubber hoses that connect these plastic lines.

I was happy to see that all of my issues were solved by correctly routing the 5 hoses behind the glove box. It is just above where the carpet ends. These lines surely come loose as they can get kicked by the passenger. I spent a lot of time replacing and checking the hoses and control valve on the drives footwell area. I wasn’t aware of this trouble spot behind the glove box. I will be clamping and zip tying these soon.

Does anyone have a comprehensive vacuum diagram? The factory one is confusing. It references “Selector valve instrument panel”. It took me days to realize this is actually the two switches that control the door locks. Ya, the ones located on the drivers and passenger door trim panels! The diagram on page 17-19 of the 1966 shop manual is not very helpful.

Love this car- especially when repairs go right!
Attachments
View is with glove box removed, just above carpet line
View is with glove box removed, just above carpet line

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”