Driver’s side rear power window - 1973 Coupe

Power windows, power lock, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, jleonard

jon schapiro
Addicted to Lincolns

Driver’s side rear power window - 1973 Coupe

Post by jon schapiro »

The driver side rear window closed halfway up and stopped. I can hear the motor running in both directions but the window does not move. I was able to pull the window closed and the motor still runs in both directions but no window movement.

I don’t believe I have ever taken the rear quarter panel off before and was wondering what has to be done. Hopefully rear seat does not have to be removed. How involved is it to get access to the motor and window mechanism?
(Pic missing)
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT
denizen44
Lincoln Maniac

Re: Driver’s side rear power window - 1973 Coupe

Post by denizen44 »

I did it a few times,

Removing the rear seat isn't as complicated as it sounds and doesn't take very long.
You basically unlatch the bottom part, by lifting it and pulling forward.

This is what a typical latch looks like:

The metal trim under the courtesy light has to be removed first, then you take out the armrest panel which allows you to remove the seat back, which is held by two screws. The seat parts aren't heavy as they seem but a little help makes it easier to work them out.

And work through these holes!

Motor.

[edit]: didn't see the duplicate thread :-/
78_towncar_460
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 78_towncar_460 »

I'm sure someone on here knows which gear you will need. I guess you can replace the whole unit, but it sounds like you only need the internal gear and possibly the torque pins. The pins can crush over time, then you basically have little stones inside the case.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Mike
1978 Lincoln Continental Town Car
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Subject: 1965 power window replacemnt gear
Dan Szwarc wrote:What you want is the Auveco 17974 Spring loaded 9-tooth gear.

It's 9-tooth and my box says it's for 1964 and up and is Ford PN D0AZ-62 234-A24 (but I doubt the A24 is correct).

MacsAutoParts.com has it for $20: Link

Shop around for the best price, supplier, etc. I've heard that these are no longer made, etc.
I've used Macs and I trust them. They are HUGE for Ford parts and a good source for a LOT of things.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, Dan found his suggestion (which I took) and posted. You'll be glad to know that link is still active, thus the gear is still being sold through Mac's.

Here is another link as well: https://autofastenersandclips.com/produ ... 9614283463 This is the link I used to buy my own set; you can compare it with Mac's, see which may be better (pricing, that is, the gears from both sources are exactly the same design). Don't be fooled by the sample pictures in the listing, they are not clones of the factory-original gears. They are of the design shown below, which is an outright upgrade from the original gear designs.

---Tony
Attachments
Spring-Cored Window Gear
Spring-Cored Window Gear
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Electrical & Accessories”